New to Phoenix? Questions?

Started 7 Jan 2019
by Pedro
in Tavern
We know you got questions, or trying to find how to log into the game, well read on!

How to play the game
The game uses part of the original game client, so make sure you have it installed and patched:
http://darkageofcamelot.com/sites/daoc/files/downloads/DAoCSetup.exe

Then you download the Phoenix installer and extract it inside the original DAoC location:
https://forum.playphoenix.online/assets/launcher.zip

So both clients will be in the same folder!

And you can double click on "Phoenix.exe" to start the Phoenix patching. At this point you can pin it to taskbar or you can right click the "Phoenix.exe" and Send to Desktop.

To login you use the same forum credentials.

Now you can login and start immersing yourself in your chosen realm!

If you can't play yet (stuck at work like me!) then you can do some reading...

Some FAQ

- What do you need to know before starting
https://playphoenix.online/getting-started

- Custom UI
There are several UI that work with Phoenix
https://forum.playphoenix.online/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=494

And the route for the custom UI is: ...\Dark Age of Camelot\ui\

Place the "custom" folder in there, it should replace the one that's already in it, and when you login, at the character screen select Options and switch the UI to Custom. This can't be done after you log into your character.

- Phoenix Charplan
This server is different from live and from other free shards, so other character planners won't be accurate.
https://playphoenix.online/charplan/

- Phoenix Wiki
Has all the information on changes, quests and the ever wanted slash commands
http://playphoenix.wiki

- Please make sure that you read the rules, the GM's are very active and they will catch you if you break the rules!
https://forum.playphoenix.online/viewtopic.php?t=3

- It runs on Mac using Bootcamp (that other players have confirmed).

- It runs on Linux using Wine (players have reported a hit or miss on the patcher)

- The game only has classes up to SI. The character creation may show you other classes but it won't create a character.
https://forum.playphoenix.online/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=3221

- Multiple players can play from the same household, but everyone has to be actively playing and if need to afk for more than 5mins, it's better to log out in case a GM starts making anti-bot tests.

While the forum is a great place to have discussions, place suggestions, etc, for more immediate help and to do some socialization, head over to Phoenix's Discord channel: https://discord.gg/4AWAhUs

We're all here to help and have fun!
Mon 7 Jan 2019 9:02 PM by Mac
Very nice to pull all this together AND place it in the tavern. /salute
Mon 7 Jan 2019 10:31 PM by Uthred
Thx and sticky.
Mon 7 Jan 2019 10:54 PM by Anaethema
Awesome job.. way to go Pedro!
Tue 8 Jan 2019 2:49 PM by Dominus
Pedro has been a very good contributor to the forums!
Fri 11 Jan 2019 8:30 PM by Excalaber
Hi all - quick question related to this. If I found myself having tried out another popular server out there, am I okay running the phoenix patcher/launcher and playing? Or do I need to uninstall and repatch everything?

Beta worked great, so I feel like it should be fine. But I read about client files and was concerned that another server may have modified something that I only bump into later (maybe that's not even how it works and I'm being dillusional). Just would like confirmation, thanks and great job on this awesome server!
Fri 11 Jan 2019 8:43 PM by Mac
Excalaber wrote:
Fri 11 Jan 2019 8:30 PM
Hi all - quick question related to this. If I found myself having tried out another popular server out there, am I okay running the phoenix patcher/launcher and playing? Or do I need to uninstall and repatch everything?

Beta worked great, so I feel like it should be fine. But I read about client files and was concerned that another server may have modified something that I only bump into later (maybe that's not even how it works and I'm being dillusional). Just would like confirmation, thanks and great job on this awesome server!

I have both Uthgard and Phoenix installed and in fact have had both games running at the same time. I have had no conflicts AS LONG AS I HAVE THE TWO CLIENTS IN TWO SEPARATE PATHS. The easiest way to do this is to install them on two different drives.
Fri 11 Jan 2019 8:52 PM by chryso
Excalaber wrote:
Hi all - quick question related to this. If I found myself having tried out another popular server out there, am I okay running the phoenix patcher/launcher and playing?

I agree with Mac. Don't use the same install directory for more than one server.
Fri 11 Jan 2019 9:16 PM by Pedro
And more than likely you'll have to run the Phoenix.exe to get it to re-patch files that the other server uses differently.
Fri 11 Jan 2019 9:51 PM by Excalaber
Mac wrote:
Fri 11 Jan 2019 8:43 PM
Excalaber wrote:

I have both Uthgard and Phoenix installed and in fact have had both games running at the same time. I have had no conflicts AS LONG AS I HAVE THE TWO CLIENTS IN TWO SEPARATE PATHS. The easiest way to do this is to install them on two different drives.

Hmm ok thanks. Just to clarify, you have two different installs of DAOC? Or, one install of DAOC but the launcher for Uthguard is in a different folder than the Phoenix launcher (which I believe must be in the DAOC folder along with the DLLS). I don't want to get back to the previous shard at this point and just want to stay Phoenix. It sounds like I'm better off completely uninstalling and reinstalling everything fresh just in case? (Even though I ran the pheonix patcher after the other one)
Fri 11 Jan 2019 9:58 PM by Pedro
I have 1 DAoC folder that has the original, the other server and Phoenix.

If you execute the Phoenix.exe it will patch files that are unique for Phoenix, so you won't log into the other server. When you want to play in the other server, when you run it's .exe it will patch again to amend the files to their server needs.

So you don't have to worry about logging into Phoenix and suddenly be over there, each server has different settings.
Fri 11 Jan 2019 10:59 PM by chryso
I have 2 installs.
(I only installed it once but i made a complete copy in a different directory)
Fri 11 Jan 2019 11:54 PM by Excalaber
Pedro wrote:
Fri 11 Jan 2019 9:58 PM
I have 1 DAoC folder that has the original, the other server and Phoenix.

If you execute the Phoenix.exe it will patch files that are unique for Phoenix, so you won't log into the other server. When you want to play in the other server, when you run it's .exe it will patch again to amend the files to their server needs.

So you don't have to worry about logging into Phoenix and suddenly be over there, each server has different settings.

OK yeah that makes sense. It's not that I'm worried it will load the other server. I'm worried that even though I launch phoenix.exe and I play till say... level 30. Then Some level 30 spell was patched by a previous server and altered...then some auto-detection thing goes bonkers because a client file was altered! Hah, maybe I'm reading too deep into the rules and regulations. I get that it's for cheating and such but torn between not wanting to take a chance and also not wanting to re-download later tonight and not be done by launch or somehow mess up my client Leaving it alone means it will work on launch like it did beta. And if it works, that's all that should matter. Just wondering if it's a very important step to start clean that I missed.

Thanks for the answers all!
Sat 12 Jan 2019 4:34 AM by Mac
Excalaber wrote:
Fri 11 Jan 2019 9:51 PM
Mac wrote:
Fri 11 Jan 2019 8:43 PM
Excalaber wrote:

Hmm ok thanks. Just to clarify, you have two different installs of DAOC? Or, one install of DAOC but the launcher for Uthguard is in a different folder than the Phoenix launcher (which I believe must be in the DAOC folder along with the DLLS). I don't want to get back to the previous shard at this point and just want to stay Phoenix. It sounds like I'm better off completely uninstalling and reinstalling everything fresh just in case? (Even though I ran the pheonix patcher after the other one)

Yes, I have two complete installs of DAoC on two different drives.
Sat 12 Jan 2019 6:37 AM by back_dog
defiasbandit wrote: Yes, I have two complete installs of DAoC on two different drives.
I don't think it is necessary to put the intalls on separate drives. I actually copied my Uthgard directory into a new directory and then patched it and yes I can still run Uthgard. In general the 'installs' seem to be separate with just the screenshots getting stored in the same directory.

Note: the copy still took a long time but maybe that is my disk.

Just to clarify my directory structure
Drive:\Games\
DAoC\ <== My Uthgard install
Phooenix\
Sat 12 Jan 2019 9:55 AM by Mac
back_dog wrote:
Sat 12 Jan 2019 6:37 AM
defiasbandit wrote: Yes, I have two complete installs of DAoC on two different drives.
I don't think it is necessary to put the intalls on separate drives. I actually copied my Uthgard directory into a new directory and then patched it and yes I can still run Uthgard. In general the 'installs' seem to be separate with just the screenshots getting stored in the same directory.

Note: the copy still took a long time but maybe that is my disk.

Just to clarify my directory structure
Drive:\Games\
DAoC\ <== My Uthgard install
Phooenix\

True, they dont have to be on separate drives, just separate patns is enough. However, for those who might not be totally up with how to do that, separate drives makes sure they have separate paths.
Sat 12 Jan 2019 11:48 AM by Breidr
Didn't see a new player section, so I felt this would be the best place to ask. I am new to DAoC in general, as well as pheonix, since it just launched. :p

I've settled on Midgard as a realm and I'm still unsure what class to play. I've tried watching some videos, but a lot of it escapes me since I'm unfamiliar with the game.

My main goal is to just take in the game. I'm very eager to try an older mmo. I hoped it would be a slower experience for me. Modern games just have too much going on. I want to breathe. I want to go explore new things. Not sit in a queue and then play "game mechanic simulator" for 30 minutes.

The two main classes that have piqued my interest are warrior and thane. Since RvR seems to be the end goal, how would these classes stack up for someone that has no idea what's going on? How would any of the classes stack up, really. I'm just going on what looks cool, I know nothing.

I'm just hoping to go on an adventure, make some friends, and not be useless.
Sun 13 Jan 2019 1:57 AM by Skilvanire
so when you say to extract it in the DAoC folder do i drag the zipped file into the DAoC folder and then unzip?
Sun 13 Jan 2019 2:07 AM by Unda
Sat 2 Feb 2019 3:39 AM by Numatic
Breidr wrote:
Sat 12 Jan 2019 11:48 AM
Didn't see a new player section, so I felt this would be the best place to ask. I am new to DAoC in general, as well as pheonix, since it just launched. :p

I've settled on Midgard as a realm and I'm still unsure what class to play. I've tried watching some videos, but a lot of it escapes me since I'm unfamiliar with the game.

My main goal is to just take in the game. I'm very eager to try an older mmo. I hoped it would be a slower experience for me. Modern games just have too much going on. I want to breathe. I want to go explore new things. Not sit in a queue and then play "game mechanic simulator" for 30 minutes.

The two main classes that have piqued my interest are warrior and thane. Since RvR seems to be the end goal, how would these classes stack up for someone that has no idea what's going on? How would any of the classes stack up, really. I'm just going on what looks cool, I know nothing.

Unfortunately the new game mentality has seeped into daoc as well. Has been for awhile. It's pretty much what ruined live and you will find some of it here too. Having the meta classes for PvE and RvR is the norm and you will be hard pressed to get a group if you arent one. Luckily for you, Mid is a melee heavy realm both in PvE and RvR so most tank and light tank classes do very well there.

Basically warriors are the one of the hardiest classes in the game. They also have the highest damage table for melee. That means single hit wise they do more damage per swing (that doesnt mean they can dish out the most melee dmg) than any other class in the game. Thanes are a hybrid. They got a little boost here on Phoenix though I cant say how well they do for PvE and RvR. Thanes are basically a light tank with ranged nuking ability. Great for interrupting casters and it gives them some playability during ranged fights.
Mon 4 Feb 2019 10:21 AM by Nunki
Breidr wrote:
Sat 12 Jan 2019 11:48 AM

Warriors are limited on melee-abilities, which may be less overwhelming for a new player.
Thanes can everything Warriors can but at no point as good as warriors (due to stat / skill / realm-ability distribution).

Theoretically both classes are viable for PvM / RvR / 8v8.
Group PvM: Both classes are viable in typical PvM settings (melee- / bomb-grp).
Solo PvM: Thanes are easier to play due to their cast-abilities and self-buff.

RvR: In zerg fights, thanes can stay on range doing damage and protect their group members as soon as an enemy comes close.
In order to cause damage, warriors need to get close by the enemy, ready to move back at any time. In this scenario, thanes may be easier to play.
In keep-defending situations the warriors lack of range-abilities forces him to wait.

8v8: Group vs Group / 8v8 is where many players try to optimize the group setup as much as possible.
In this case many elitists may focus on the warrior due to getting stoicism (reduced crowd control duration).
As far as I read in this forum thanes are viable for 8v8, especially against caster-groups, but at the end many players may prefer a warrior.

Beside thanes in elitist 8v8, both classes are fun to play on their own way and at no point "useless".

Have fun.
Tue 26 Feb 2019 5:21 AM by Grayald
Having just recently joined, I found this very helpful. Many thanks.
Mon 8 Apr 2019 9:52 AM by Riverseek3r
It runs on mac using wine-4.0 too
you could update the main thread adding this info (required mono + quartz, but it's all written on the wine download page)
btw 4.0 is the stable version
P.S. add a symbolic link to your wine, something like:

sudo ln -s /Applications/Wine.app/Contents/Resources/bin/wine /usr/local/bin/wine

or

sudo ln -s /Applications/Wine\ Stable.app/Contents/Resources/wine/bin/wine /usr/local/bin/wine
Tue 19 Nov 2019 3:06 PM by Svperstar
I'm curious what is the best way to make money here? I'm in the middle of working on a template and I want a really nice one which is expensive.

So what is the best way to make money fast. I have yet to buy a house dunno if any are available.
Wed 20 Nov 2019 2:59 AM by gotwqqd
Svperstar wrote:
Tue 19 Nov 2019 3:06 PM
I'm curious what is the best way to make money here? I'm in the middle of working on a template and I want a really nice one which is expensive.

So what is the best way to make money fast. I have yet to buy a house dunno if any are available.

At this time? Farming for collection items and selling them.
Who knows if that will stay the status quo.
Soon some will simply be unable to buy.
Mon 9 Dec 2019 3:17 PM by sonsofhorus
I have a few questions about this server that hopefully someone can answer.

1) Is auto leveling still a thing, or do characters get all the spec points they would as if they did auto level regardless of spec?

2) Mastery of stealth level is based on spec level or total level with bonuses?

3) Are 2h Shadowblades viable? Did they receive a damage increase to Perf for using a 2h weapon?

Any advice regarding some of the updates and overall stealther game for this server?

Thank you!!
Mon 9 Dec 2019 3:25 PM by Loki
sonsofhorus wrote:
Mon 9 Dec 2019 3:17 PM
I have a few questions

1. I think you're referring to auto training, as far as I remember , points are automatically applied when you spec in that line.
2. MoS is based on Stealth level and not composite.
3. 2h SBs are non existent as the difference in damage is very little.

Advice : don't roll a SB. Go with NS or Infi, later if you're bored and into BDSM, you can make a SB.
Wed 11 Dec 2019 12:13 AM by Andryah
Nunki wrote:
Mon 4 Feb 2019 10:21 AM
Warriors are limited on melee-abilities, which may be less overwhelming for a new player.
Thanes can everything Warriors can but at no point as good as warriors (due to stat / skill / realm-ability distribution).

Theoretically both classes are viable for PvM / RvR / 8v8.
Group PvM: Both classes are viable in typical PvM settings (melee- / bomb-grp).
Solo PvM: Thanes are easier to play due to their cast-abilities and self-buff.

RvR: In zerg fights, thanes can stay on range doing damage and protect their group members as soon as an enemy comes close.
In order to cause damage, warriors need to get close by the enemy, ready to move back at any time. In this scenario, thanes may be easier to play.
In keep-defending situations the warriors lack of range-abilities forces him to wait.

8v8: Group vs Group / 8v8 is where many players try to optimize the group setup as much as possible.
In this case many elitists may focus on the warrior due to getting stoicism (reduced crowd control duration).
As far as I read in this forum thanes are viable for 8v8, especially against caster-groups, but at the end many players may prefer a warrior.

Beside thanes in elitist 8v8, both classes are fun to play on their own way and at no point "useless".

Have fun.

I have found that a well played Thane is excellent in PvP.. particularly in zerg environments and keep sieges. Their casting abilities allow them to damage and even kill at range when there is a lot of activity around and usually not get nailed for it as long as they are behind the main lines. They would struggle one on one PvP more often though. But PvP is not balanced around 1v1 anyway so.. no big deal in my view.

Warriors are hard to kill and have great staying power and the best melee damage table in Midguard. But unlike a Thane who can go ungrouped in many environments.. a Warrior needs a group to really thrive
Mon 13 Apr 2020 6:15 AM by nossk
Hi guys,
I'm trying to launch the game but it seems blocked at like 90% on the loading screen. I've downloaded the game from the official website and put the phoenix thingy in the same folder, it worked i created a new account but the game seems like it's freezing during loading, i've tried with US and EU servers.

It says
"v 1.126b Loading
Hit escape to exit the game"

And so far i've seen TOA and laby's backgrounds, idk if it's normal ?

Any idea why i'm stuck ? Help would be much appreciated thx !

Cheers !
Mon 13 Apr 2020 6:28 AM by soborg
nossk wrote:
Mon 13 Apr 2020 6:15 AM
It says
"v 1.126b Loading
Hit escape to exit the game"

And so far i've seen TOA and laby's backgrounds, idk if it's normal ?

Gotta run phoenixfixer.exe from your DAoC folder, see instructions here: https://forum.playphoenix.online/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=11869
Tue 21 Apr 2020 3:05 AM by Cartesii
Hello !

i played the beta some time ago and want to play now. But when i try to connect i see different servers/regions? I thought its only 1 server ? Which should i chose now?)

Can i install an ui like derida and do you guys have such stuff here too?
Tue 21 Apr 2020 4:16 PM by chryso
Still only one server. Those are just log on proxies because some cheater who got banned ran a DDOS attack against the logon server and people couldn't get in.
If you look in the Support Center section there is a thread with links to UIs that work here.
Thu 23 Apr 2020 1:36 PM by Cartesii
Why my quickbars are bugging everytime on my friar when i lvl up? I have to put all stuff like spec af /haste again on it, bec. its overriding like hell with other spells?!
Thu 23 Apr 2020 2:03 PM by romulus
Cartesii wrote:
Thu 23 Apr 2020 1:36 PM
Why my quickbars are bugging everytime on my friar when i lvl up? I have to put all stuff like spec af /haste again on it, bec. its overriding like hell with other spells?!
Hi and welcome to Phoenix!
This is actually a known (and frustrating!) issue that concentration-based casters have in this version of DAoC. Basically, every time you learn a new spell-line, it messes up some spells on your quickbar. This effect stops happening as soon as you have learned all your spell-lines (around level 20 or so), but it does happen again if you respec and unlearn any of your spell-lines. So, yes, it is annoying but it is temporary!
Good luck and have fun on Phoenix!
:hugs:
Fri 1 Jan 2021 2:17 AM by JamesFullard
This post will be about Albion and Midgard so I could post it in either Alb or Mid forums so I just came here. Mods if this is the wrong place for this please relocate it.

I just recently left live and came here, very glad that I did. I am getting the old school feel from this server (to an extent) and this is a good thing for me. I was only on live for maybe 3 weeks, just dinking around when a friend who plays here brought me to Phoenix. Up until those few weeks I had only played DAoC on Mordred pvp server, never playing on an RvR server so this RvR thing will be a learning experience for me. I am still undecided which realm I want to call my home (I don't like to realm hop). I kinda don't want to have but maybe 2 or 3 characters that I play. I have other stuff that I do online so I want to focus on a few toons only. So far this is what I have done ...

Midgard: I leveled me a Spiritmaster to 50. Fun class and wouldn't mind bombing zergs with it. My other character is either a Bonedancer or a Shaman (not sure yet). I'm thinking a BD in 8v8 might be a good class to ease into RvR with plus was one of my fav characters on Mordred. The Shaman is just something I have never really played serious before (along with the SM) so wanted to check that class out too.

Albion: Currently I leveled a Necro to 50 for farming purposes. I have two characters other than the Necro that I am trying out. The Sorcerer and the Cleric. I've only played a Sorc to 44 in the 44 BG on Live and Heal classes is what I have done in most of my past MMOs.

I'm still deciding which realm to choose as home but I have questions for both realms ...
All of these question - if a website exists that answers this please link it for me (I'm struggling here lol)
1) What are key "go to" items for alb and mid casters for 50 templates? Does Phoenix have a place online that lists specific must have template items that I can look at? Same question for the Shaman. On live I played Mordred so when template time came I just went to the Mordred forums, found a template I liked and bought it in housing or farmed key pieces. That isn't how its done here I see.
2) Where are the best locations on Alb and Mid to farm feathers?
3) Do we have quests that reward bounty points as rewards or is BPs strictly farmed in NF?
4) What other Phoenix things do I need to know that are not on live that I may not know?
5) on Alb, where is the best place for a solo Necro to farm high end RoG's that are good for templates?

I still have to decide which realm I am going to stay on, but for the time being I am forced to ask these questions for both realms.
Any websites that can be linked I would be thankful.
Sun 24 Oct 2021 3:41 AM by tigris67
How long does it typically take to be able to login once you've created your account via the launcher?

I'm excited to jump in, but I've received the confirmation email, clicked the link, and am even able to access the forums with the username and password created. I'm receiving "Invalid Username or Password" though when using that same login info with the phoenix launcher. (Been 2 hours since I created my account)

Edit: Ahh... the server is closed .
Mon 1 Nov 2021 8:39 PM by carnalito
tigris67 wrote: Edit: Ahh... the server is closed .

My suprise was yours.
This topic is locked and you can't reply.

Return to Tavern or the latest topics