Make hunter pet buff into an insta

Started 18 Jul 2019
by adamaxis
in Open Community Votes
Right now, the hunter str/con pet buff is, for all intents and purposes, worthless in RvR, because Hunters can't keep Stealth while letting the pet fight(devs say it's intended), and when they are jumping a player or getting into a fight, they don't have time to buff the dog. So they don't have time to prepare the dog, and everyone knows that it's a hunter's pet because of how it looks, it's not like an ice-strider or frore lich - it sticks out like a sore thumb. It has no unique abilities of it's own, like stunning or diseasing or being able to heal the user or nuking , so currently, there's no benefit to summoning it ahead of time to prepare for a fight. This makes the buff worthless.

Considering the amount of points one needs to invest into BC to make it worthwhile(the last pet buff is at 41 BC), and considering that BC doesn't have a lot going for it in the first place(AF+Dex which are barely better than pot except at the high end, and timed flight, which isn't as useful as it sounds), I think this would make the dog more worthwhile and make BC more valuable as a whole, rather than the dog just acting as a throwaway engagement modifier for the hunter(the buff actually does make the pet quite a bit more durable - problem is that we can't use it in any practical situation).
Thu 18 Jul 2019 2:26 AM by ExcretusMaximus
You're supposed to have to make a decision between having the pet out and buffed, or not, not get a great pet instantly and for free.
Thu 18 Jul 2019 3:18 AM by adamaxis
ExcretusMaximus wrote:
Thu 18 Jul 2019 2:26 AM
You're supposed to have to make a decision between having the pet out and buffed, or not, not get a great pet instantly and for free.

First off, says who? I put extra points into BC for the buff, not so I could make that "choice" (which isn't actually a choice at all). Besides that, what you're suggesting isn't a choice at all - I already outlined why: the dog does not blend in at all, has no special abilities, and hinders the hunter because of how it peels him from hiding when it gets into a fight(note that I did not say 'summoned'. Summoning him ahead of time is currently a death sentence - anyone who drags their dog around with them in stealth, even strategically, is not only giving up the major benefit of the dog (instant engage on enemy), but is asking to be farmed.

The choice hunters have to make is between an instant pet vs a charmed pet, and that's an entirely one-sided decision at this point due to how the hunter+pet are implemented here.

As it stands now, it's a PvE buff. It's practically unusable for the reasons stated - it's about as useful in RvR as giving a pair of socks to someone with no legs. My suggestion would make it actually feasible in RvR. It's one of my gripes with BC spec, because of how lackluster it is in terms of benefits.

If the hunter could sit in hiding and sick his dog on an enemy from the safety of the shadows, I would be of a different mind on this(the dog isn't going to kill anyone by it's lonesome), but it peels you from hiding when it fights, and devs say it's intended.
Thu 18 Jul 2019 3:40 AM by Tigerforce
Seriously...
Dog does 80-115 dmg all day. On top of your spear dmg. Combined your doing 2-300. Not to mention that dps can be split and utilized for rupts…. or vice versa you can rupt with bow and dog can chase. Lots of utility in hunters, last thing they need is to worry abt a dam insta self buff for a pet that does 100 extra dmg.

#Givemeabreak #quit #re-rollorDelete
Thu 18 Jul 2019 4:14 AM by adamaxis
Tigerforce wrote:
Thu 18 Jul 2019 3:40 AM
Seriously...
Dog does 80-115 dmg all day. On top of your spear dmg. Combined your doing 2-300. Not to mention that dps can be split and utilized for rupts…. or vice versa you can rupt with bow and dog can chase. Lots of utility in hunters, last thing they need is to worry abt a dam insta self buff for a pet that does 100 extra dmg.

#Givemeabreak #quit #re-rollorDelete

I'd like to be able to actually use my pet's buff that I put points into. #givemeabreak #howboutthat

Yea, hunter can do decent damage - so can Reavers. What's your point?
Thu 18 Jul 2019 4:17 AM by ExcretusMaximus
adamaxis wrote:
Thu 18 Jul 2019 3:18 AM
First off, says who?

Mythic Entertainment. You know, the people who made the game? This was brought up constantly back in the day, and the answer was always what I told you already.
Thu 18 Jul 2019 4:27 AM by adamaxis
ExcretusMaximus wrote:
Thu 18 Jul 2019 4:17 AM
adamaxis wrote:
Thu 18 Jul 2019 3:18 AM
First off, says who?

Mythic Entertainment. You know, the people who made the game? This was brought up constantly back in the day, and the answer was always what I told you already.

Didn't realize this was Uthgard and that I was blasphemizing the 1.80 (sorry, 1.65) bible.

But since we're on the topic, where's my pet disease?
Thu 18 Jul 2019 6:27 AM by Sepplord
the thing is: the hunter pet is currently immensely strong, so ofcourse the support for another petbuff is currently not existant

the only sensible solution right now, woul be to nerf the pet's stat and then apply the buff when it's summoned and it balances out.
But that would nerf hunter in PvE and in niche situations where he is able to summon and buff the pet before the fight (i know i have done it, especially around structures you can hide the buffed pet)

Would that really increase your fun, just because you know that your pet-buff is now used more?
Thu 18 Jul 2019 6:43 AM by adamaxis
Sepplord wrote:
Thu 18 Jul 2019 6:27 AM
the thing is: the hunter pet is currently immensely strong

In relation to what? The cabalist pet and it's nonstop stuns? Red minstrel pets that are a tough fight for any player by themselves? The orange horse that mentalists drag around? Bone army? SM pet that blocks for the SM?

It's not "immensely strong" - it hits slightly less than half as hard as my hunter on a good resist mob, and is a bit slower, and is evaded an awful lot more.
I'm not saying it's weak, but I didn't put 43 points into BC for a weak pet, either. I'd like to maybe get some ROI on that investment since it took points away from other areas, like bow and spear.

Personally, I think this entire argument is ridiculous on it's face - you speak as if it's some ground-breaking difference. My pet hits maybe 10-15% harder with red buff vs no buff. My point is the buff is totally useless in RvR right now(which no one seems to disagree with) so how bout giving hunters a way of using it instead of it just cluttering up their bar?
Thu 18 Jul 2019 6:49 AM by Sepplord
adamaxis wrote:
Thu 18 Jul 2019 6:43 AM
Sepplord wrote:
Thu 18 Jul 2019 6:27 AM
the thing is: the hunter pet is currently immensely strong

In relation to what? The cabalist pet and it's nonstop stuns? Red minstrel pets that are a tough fight for any player by themselves? The orange horse that mentalists drag around? Bone army? SM pet that blocks for the SM?

It's not "immensely strong" - it hits slightly less than half as hard as my hunter on a good resist mob, and is a bit slower, and is evaded an awful lot more.
I'm not saying it's weak, but I didn't put 43 points into BC for a weak pet, either. I'd like to maybe get some ROI on that investment since it took points away from other areas, like bow and spear.

Personally, I think this entire argument is ridiculous on it's face - you speak as if it's some ground-breaking difference. My pet hits maybe 10-15% harder with red buff vs no buff. My point is the buff is totally useless in RvR right now(which no one seems to disagree with) so how bout giving hunters a way of using it instead of it just cluttering up their bar?

ok, maybe it was misworded. So i'll try again in easy words:

Hunter in total is immensely strong (not only the pet compared to other pets)

Being strong means buffs no no

Applying pet-buff automatically would be a buff

conclusion: auto-petbuff no no unless nerf elsewhere
Thu 18 Jul 2019 2:37 PM by Tigerforce
Adamaxis you just sound bitchy at this point.

My point is that yah Hunter and Reavers can do decent dmg, but hunters don't need to do MORE melee dmg. INVALID argument you have. You're complaining abt other classes pets, Minst pet control "CAN" break, Other class BD's SM's have to CAST their pet. Yours is INSTA cast to summon... Allows you to determine when its needed when its not. When to rupt, when to have extra melee dmg. Its not based around being a pet class, its EXTRA ability to add dmg. That being said you don't need a silly buff to do even MORE dmg! Especially when your only point is that "I spec'd in BC cuz I want this or that from it" get me a freaking break child. Go tell your mom you want some more milk and to be swaddled.
Thu 18 Jul 2019 6:08 PM by Druth
Hunter buff thread, makes the assassin buff thread look innocent.
We need a ranger buff thread to complete the circle.
Thu 18 Jul 2019 6:25 PM by adamaxis
Tigerforce wrote:
Thu 18 Jul 2019 2:37 PM

My point is that yah Hunter and Reavers can do decent dmg, but hunters don't need to do MORE melee dmg. INVALID argument you have. You're complaining abt other classes pets, Minst pet control "CAN" break, Other class BD's SM's have to CAST their pet. Yours is INSTA cast to summon... Allows you to determine when its needed when its not. When to rupt, when to have extra melee dmg. Its not based around being a pet class, its EXTRA ability to add dmg. That being said you don't need a silly buff to do even MORE dmg! Especially when your only point is that "I spec'd in BC cuz I want this or that from it" get me a freaking break child. Go tell your mom you want some more milk and to be swaddled.

You're the one acting like a petulant child, dude. You haven't made a single coherent point other than "hunters too stronk" and whining like a little twelve year old about it. They aren't that strong dude - hunter as a whole is not that strong.

Them being able to do one thing semi-decently doesn't mean they're strong, it just means that they don't completely suck. When did 'not sucking' become the standard for whether an ability should be useable? Gonna go tell the Skalds with SoS that they can't have it because they don't suck enough? Maybe they shouldn't get DDs because they do good dmg?
It's like dude, buy a debuff sword + charge shield and then any melee class can win most melee fight against lessers, and can do it better than a hunter can with more HP and better RAs, but stop with the lame excuses when you clearly don't know how to do what EVERY OTHER melee class worth their salt are doing in 1v1s.
Thu 18 Jul 2019 6:56 PM by Tigerforce
adamaxis wrote:
Thu 18 Jul 2019 6:25 PM
Tigerforce wrote:

You're the one acting like a petulant child, dude. You haven't made a single coherent point other than "hunters too stronk" and whining like a little twelve year old about it. They aren't that strong dude - hunter as a whole is not that strong.

Them being able to do one thing semi-decently doesn't mean they're strong, it just means that they don't completely suck. When did 'not sucking' become the standard for whether an ability should be useable? Gonna go tell the Skalds with SoS that they can't have it because they don't suck enough? Maybe they shouldn't get DDs because they do good dmg?
It's like dude, buy a debuff sword + charge shield and then any melee class can win most melee fight against lessers, and can do it better than a hunter can with more HP and better RAs, but stop with the lame excuses when you clearly don't know how to do what EVERY OTHER melee class worth their salt are doing in 1v1s.

Your only excuse is that you spec'd in a line for a certain skill and are mad that you have to cast it and its not insta. Its already a good spec line and you just want it to be better for no reason other then the fact, YOU wanted and YOU spec'd for it.

If you have trouble fighting melee its cuz your trying to play ur hunter like a pure melee class when its not, OBVIOUSLY bow spec line. Even if its low pts, it can still take dmg up until target gets to you. OR kite, when they go for pet turn around and bow them down, resummons wolf later. DONT like it? change your class that's the hunter class. Stop thinking or trying to be a stealth ARMSMAN with a spear or something.
Thu 18 Jul 2019 6:58 PM by Tigerforce
You just seem to suck as a hunter, Might I suggest BD might be more your style. All you gotta do is LT and quickcast root or cast DD to kill. Might be more your speed.
Thu 18 Jul 2019 7:23 PM by adamaxis
Tigerforce wrote:
Thu 18 Jul 2019 6:56 PM
adamaxis wrote:
Thu 18 Jul 2019 6:25 PM
Tigerforce wrote:

Your only excuse is that you spec'd in a line for a certain skill and are mad that you have to cast it and its not insta. Its already a good spec line and you just want it to be better for no reason other then the fact, YOU wanted and YOU spec'd for it.

If you have trouble fighting melee its cuz your trying to play ur hunter like a pure melee class when its not, OBVIOUSLY bow spec line. Even if its low pts, it can still take dmg up until target gets to you. OR kite, when they go for pet turn around and bow them down, resummons wolf later. DONT like it? change your class that's the hunter class. Stop thinking or trying to be a stealth ARMSMAN with a spear or something.

This is pure conjecture. It's not a good spec line, in fact it's one of the weakest. Hunter loses a straight-up melee against mid-heavy tanks and it's not even close, bro, Stop making asinine comparisons that have no basis in reality. Being able to use one of their only buffs that requires heavy specialization to even be noticeable is not going to make them into a stealth armsman, it's such a ridiculous point.

Speccing it in is the premiere reason for a line to be good - it's literally the main point for why something SHOULD be good. BC is not a great ROI at the top-end for this reason - hunter can only practically make use of about half his spells there. And again, Rangers get to use their entire line, Scouts continue to see improvements in both block-rate and styles(10s stun @ 50) for more spec, so even on like terms, there is no reason why Hunter shouldn't.
Thu 18 Jul 2019 7:26 PM by Tigerforce
maybe take one less shot with bow to buff pet? or back stun with spear take a few steps cast buff. Lots of options to getting to work. Adapt and overcome stop QQ.

Should I cry abt infils not getting IP? When your class can detect just as good as me, but do more dmg in melee, but get IP? + you have the option to range dmg....
Thu 18 Jul 2019 7:36 PM by Tigerforce
What your failing to realize is that not every class is to be balanced vs any other class. Certain classes have advantages over other classes and situations.

Example Hunter Ranger Scout all similar play style. Where as Ranger might be better in melee and 1v1 possibly, Hunter would excel in a 2v1 especially if they are casters. Hunter has the potential and ability to lock down 2 casters vs himself. While a ranger or scout would be screwed.

You can complain that your class cant take down a mid-heavy tank or some BS.... that makes no sense. 2h vs shield sucks... especially a slow ass spear. That's just given that's not hunters specifically. That's all 2h's. Plus Med tanks have Reflex so the more dps u do to them in melee the more dmg they gonna return to you. These are just raw known facts. Your job as hunter is to take out casters from the distance and rupt them. Possibly take out ppl with low life retreating with ur bow ect… Not to see a Armsman or Merc and think god dam a perfect target then cry when they rape ur ass
Thu 18 Jul 2019 9:14 PM by adamaxis
Tigerforce wrote:
Thu 18 Jul 2019 7:36 PM
You can complain that your class cant take down a mid-heavy tank or some BS.... that makes no sense. 2h vs shield sucks... especially a slow ass spear. That's just given that's not hunters specifically. That's all 2h's. Plus Med tanks have Reflex so the more dps u do to them in melee the more dmg they gonna return to you. These are just raw known facts. Your job as hunter is to take out casters from the distance and rupt them. Possibly take out ppl with low life retreating with ur bow ect… Not to see a Armsman or Merc and think god dam a perfect target then cry when they rape ur ass

You're in your own universe right now, dude - WHO TF SAID HUNTER SHOULD BE ABLE TO TAKE DOWN MID-HEAVY TANK BESIDES YOU? Is your english really that bad? Do you have autism or something? You're making up your own straw-men and then gloating about knocking them down. Good lord, it's like arguing with a child.
Thu 18 Jul 2019 10:04 PM by adamaxis
Bolded for emphasis, since Tigerforce can't read.

adamaxis wrote:
Thu 18 Jul 2019 7:23 PM
Tigerforce wrote:
Thu 18 Jul 2019 6:56 PM
DONT like it? change your class that's the hunter class. Stop thinking or trying to be a stealth ARMSMAN with a spear or something.

This is pure conjecture. It's not a good spec line, in fact it's one of the weakest. Hunter loses a straight-up melee against mid-heavy tanks and it's not even close, bro, Stop making asinine comparisons that have no basis in reality. Being able to use one of their only buffs that requires heavy specialization to even be noticeable is not going to make them into a stealth armsman, it's such a ridiculous point.

And for clarity, because it seems like some people here responding have never even played a hunter: I'm not asking for them to add a new ability. I'm asking them to modify an existing ability that is not useful in RvR so that it is useful in RvR.
This topic is locked and you can't reply.

Return to Open Community Votes or the latest topics