EV as New Solo/Small & 8man

Started 1 Jul 2019
by Tigerforce
in Open Community Votes
From what I've experienced so far, the ruins are just completely empty. When they aren't, they are quickly being checked by the roaming zerg. Plus, it's too far into the opposing land to have a solo really be worth it at times. All of this to me equates to a bad formula for a good 1v1 or small man action.

EV, yes its a 8man zone, But from what I've experienced most 8mans have respected the 1v1 for the most part, aside from PK. Its easy to reach, whether through EV porter / bridges / jumping off boat. From live, I've also found this to be a great spot for a solo or duo, despite the 8man action. We will get bridge fights, docks, gates, port paths all good action spots for lower pop action.

Solo/duo/smalls will be added regardless of zone (I understand that) but its the ease of access to those that want that play style and will better support that play style imo.
Tue 2 Jul 2019 6:38 AM by Saroi
Tigerforce wrote:
Mon 1 Jul 2019 10:08 PM
But from what I've experienced most 8mans have respected the 1v1 for the most part

In what game? 8mans would SOS through 5 TwF's just to kill a solo.
Tue 2 Jul 2019 8:07 AM by Tigerforce
Saroi wrote:
Tue 2 Jul 2019 6:38 AM
Tigerforce wrote:
But from what I've experienced most 8mans have respected the 1v1 for the most part

Obviously this one, incase you forgot what forum this is.

I've had about (only 3) 1v1's on EV all of which ppl passed and twice a 8-man passed and they did nothing.

Still does not change the fact the ruins are pointless and empty. ALWAYS empty. No one ever wants to make the run there and it be empty which is why no one goes. They also don't go cuz its zerg heavy areas. EV is lighter on the action pop and could better support lower man groups, especially provided there be bonus RP's for it.
Tue 2 Jul 2019 8:12 PM by Saroi
Tigerforce wrote:
Tue 2 Jul 2019 8:07 AM
Saroi wrote:
Tigerforce wrote:

I've had about (only 3) 1v1's on EV all of which ppl passed and twice a 8-man passed and they did nothing.

Still does not change the fact the ruins are pointless and empty. ALWAYS empty. No one ever wants to make the run there and it be empty which is why no one goes. They also don't go cuz its zerg heavy areas. EV is lighter on the action pop and could better support lower man groups, especially provided there be bonus RP's for it.

Ruins are empty yes but that is because there were always groups coming to farm the solo or Smallman people. Like you said it is pointless having that long run to just get farmed by a fg waiting there.

Afaik EV is too laggy and therefor not worth. There are meant to be 2 other EV zones still in there which are loading at the same time. So EV is not really an option too.
Tue 2 Jul 2019 10:26 PM by Tigerforce
Saroi wrote:
Tue 2 Jul 2019 8:12 PM
Tigerforce wrote:
Saroi wrote:

Ruins are empty yes but that is because there were always groups coming to farm the solo or Smallman people. Like you said it is pointless having that long run to just get farmed by a fg waiting there.

Afaik EV is too laggy and therefor not worth. There are meant to be 2 other EV zones still in there which are loading at the same time. So EV is not really an option too.

EV may be laggy for some but not all. I rarely get any lag spikes when going there. Certainly not enough to completely dismiss it from any use of action.

Again, it's only a suggestions, seeing as they tried to incorporate a certain play style, however like you mentioned the playstyle is non-existent. Solo/Duo is only going to work if that player/players have quick and fast way of travel to a zone. Most expect to get rolled by a group, but its the constant long distances needed after death which kill the game play style.

(Solo'ing is a part of the game regardless of what ppl think, or call out BG/group game. Hence the Lone Enforcer / Lone Assassin titles. They should not be limited to only NS, Infil, SB's.)
Wed 3 Jul 2019 12:27 AM by Saroi
Tigerforce wrote:
Tue 2 Jul 2019 10:26 PM
Saroi wrote:
Tue 2 Jul 2019 8:12 PM
Tigerforce wrote:

EV may be laggy for some but not all. I rarely get any lag spikes when going there. Certainly not enough to completely dismiss it from any use of action.

Again, it's only a suggestions, seeing as they tried to incorporate a certain play style, however like you mentioned the playstyle is non-existent. Solo/Duo is only going to work if that player/players have quick and fast way of travel to a zone. Most expect to get rolled by a group, but its the constant long distances needed after death which kill the game play style.

(Solo'ing is a part of the game regardless of what ppl think, or call out BG/group game. Hence the Lone Enforcer / Lone Assassin titles. They should not be limited to only NS, Infil, SB's.)

I only been there twice because Alb zerg ran from Beno to DC so I don't know how zergy it is. I just know there are complaints here on the forum with some posts. And seems Ellan has been laggy on live too.
Wed 21 Aug 2019 6:50 PM by stripperrella
as i know your EV , for me it's a transition zone from realm to realm besides the dungeon available. ( in one period of the game they called it agramon , i belive it was laby)

i will tell you completly neutral as it can be with 7 hours playtime . today i got farmed twice. the 2nd time with sickness. belive it or not lv 31 ment ( me ) vs lv 50 pac , bd and skald. they hunted me down as i was worth rr 11 with one kill. ok i've probably been worth the rps.. but the 2nd time they even tried to trick me.. kinda 1 guy jumps from the bridge to right side and hopes i follow into fight with them. well i was just observing, when i see on the left side of the bridge did also someone jumped.. man i were just missing one thing. A freaking Zerk pulling charge (RA) against me with a pac in his neck...

kinda rediculous.... but what do you wanna do about it. it gives them kill stat and eventually rps even. if i don't want to get rolled solo, i try to get a group or train my skills in avoiding groups or the timing when attacking.

basicly that's it. less talk more fighting and gaming. perhaps that's what bring you back a decent server-pop. ( for me it's actually pretty decent to have this ammount of players, let alone 3k server-pop and having to deal with all of them)
i've read that the staff allowed to use their discord to combine fights.. ex. 1vs1. let's meet infront apk or beno. ( you obviously get add and actually a lil bit deserved) or you just send him a picture of a map with a dot or a X what ever is allowed. i am not very sure and therfor better ask the staff before doing such..

if some people would get out of their comfort-zone and announce that they gonna organize 1 vs 1 duels in a certain location on a given day. how about that?
or every day between 6pm and 8 pm.

I hope you can understand my point of view on this subject.
Thu 22 Aug 2019 6:22 AM by Sepplord
stripperrella wrote:
Wed 21 Aug 2019 6:50 PM
I hope you can understand my point of view on this subject.

no idea what you are trying to say, but just for your info: there is no charge RA on this server and you also don't give RPs unless you are lvl35 to max lvl players
Thu 22 Aug 2019 11:26 AM by stripperrella
Sepplord wrote:
Thu 22 Aug 2019 6:22 AM
no idea what you are trying to say, but just for your info: there is no charge RA on this server and you also don't give RPs unless you are lvl35 to max lvl players
if you have no idea, why did you replied to start with!?
are you looking for attention or what is it ?
Thu 22 Aug 2019 11:51 AM by Sepplord
stripperrella wrote:
Thu 22 Aug 2019 11:26 AM
Sepplord wrote:
Thu 22 Aug 2019 6:22 AM
if you have no idea, why did you replied to start with!?
are you looking for attention or what is it ?

i mentioned that i don't no what you are asking, because that explains why i am not answering your question (and maybe for you to rephrase it so you get your point across...getting your point across was the goal of your comment or why did you write it?)

I didn't expect you to be offended by me clearing up custom changes that you weren't aware of since this server is new for you.
I am more killing time, than looking for attention, but i will try and remember that you do not want to be helped in the future
Thu 22 Aug 2019 12:18 PM by stripperrella
Sepplord wrote:
Thu 22 Aug 2019 11:51 AM
i mentioned that i don't no what you are asking, because that explains why i am not answering your question (and maybe for you to rephrase it so you get your point across...getting your point across was the goal of your comment or why did you write it?)

I didn't expect you to be offended by me clearing up custom changes that you weren't aware of since this server is new for you.
I am more killing time, than looking for attention, but i will try and remember that you do not want to be helped in the future

you just shut the hell up and read your own replies to start with please.
i've added a freaking comment in this poll and no question.

discussion / conversation treminated, your ignorance against other players is pissing me off.

peace
Thu 22 Aug 2019 12:33 PM by Uthred
Keep calm guys and be nice.
Fri 23 Aug 2019 2:55 AM by ExcretusMaximus
I think it's hilarious that the guy losing his temper is the one who liked Uthred's post.
Tue 17 Sep 2019 8:55 PM by Frigzy
From my experience, once you get to the point where you feel the need to create a so called "designated zone" for a certain type of action, there's something structurally wrong to the degree that is way beyond coming up with this kind of solution.

Solo and smallman playstyles thrive on a stream of relatively easy to find and equally strong opponents. Problem with NF is that players can XP almost anywhere, port almost anywhere and simply roam almost anywhere.

The most obviously trafficed places usually have way too much bigboi action or simply offers way too little ambush opportunities for non visibles.

In OF you could way more reliably camp certain chokepoints as a visible solo/smallman because you could hide from FGs when playing smart and the influx of players was high enough to be worth the run because the chokepoints were often quite significant.

If this server at all wants to improve smallman/solo opportunities, consider ways to increase reliable chokepoints with ambush opportunities. In all honesty, with the porting and boat systems I just don't see how it can be done, but who knows, maybe someone else does.
Tue 17 Sep 2019 9:27 PM by gotwqqd
Frigzy wrote:
Tue 17 Sep 2019 8:55 PM
From my experience, once you get to the point where you feel the need to create a so called "designated zone" for a certain type of action, there's something structurally wrong to the degree that is way beyond coming up with this kind of solution.

Solo and smallman playstyles thrive on a stream of relatively easy to find and equally strong opponents. Problem with NF is that players can XP almost anywhere, port almost anywhere and simply roam almost anywhere.

The most obviously trafficed places usually have way too much bigboi action or simply offers way too little ambush opportunities for non visibles.

In OF you could way more reliably camp certain chokepoints as a visible solo/smallman because you could hide from FGs when playing smart and the influx of players was high enough to be worth the run because the chokepoints were often quite significant.

If this server at all wants to improve smallman/solo opportunities, consider ways to increase reliable chokepoints with ambush opportunities. In all honesty, with the porting and boat systems I just don't see how it can be done, but who knows, maybe someone else does.

You want to play small/8 no problem.
Just stop expecting to be spoon fed a counter mirroe#’s group.
Tue 17 Sep 2019 9:47 PM by ExcretusMaximus
Frigzy wrote:
Solo and smallman playstyles thrive on a stream of relatively easy to find and equally strong opponents. Problem with NF is that players can XP almost anywhere

Do you not see the problem with these two sentences?
Wed 18 Sep 2019 6:10 AM by Sepplord
ExcretusMaximus wrote:
Tue 17 Sep 2019 9:47 PM
Frigzy wrote:
Solo and smallman playstyles thrive on a stream of relatively easy to find and equally strong opponents. Problem with NF is that players can XP almost anywhere

Do you not see the problem with these two sentences?

the problem I see, is that it somehow implies that smallmen usually targets XPers...which isn't correct and even if it would be, it wouldn't make sense to deliver more XPers on a silver tablet to be farmed

the problem with designated zones is that they simply do not work very well.
If you make them completely unaccessible for others the Solozones becomes Champion/paladin/whatever 1vs1 class-zones, smallman-zones get one dominant group that scares all others to logg of, same with 8man-zones (though it's a bit slower there).
If they are in the open, like currently, then either above happens, or they get farmed by bigger groups because they are conveniently stacked with chanceless victims

Fostering certain playstyles is a complex topic, but imo the best way is to incentivize the playstyles. Either by additional/bigger(relatively) rewards than others, or (for the example of smallmen) by having tools available that allow fighting of bigger groups
Fri 20 Sep 2019 11:26 AM by Lillebror
Feed the solo community, they feed all other playstyles.
Fri 20 Sep 2019 3:55 PM by Killaloth
The main reason why the smallman area don't work very well is that there is no way to signal your presence.

Perhaps we should have /2vs2 /3v3 /4v4 commands so that only other smallman can see you.

Opponents can see where you are and they would know you are around the ruins smallman area.

No signalling = no fights.

/Slash cmds are also better than something flaming on a map because again, only smallman would see them.

There are also other issues that cannot be sorted with devs work. I won't share the name of the almost rr11 skald below but I hoped that "pick any class" and "my random bard is not even on discord" sounded reasonable enough for a decent fight. Or not?

Fri 20 Sep 2019 4:49 PM by shintacki
I would love a smallman command like that. I can probably count on 1 hand the number of 2v2s I've gotten in the last month. Not that I mind fighting against larger numbers, but it's nice to have some balanced engagements sometimes.

I'll probably be on tonight so I guess I'll keep an eye on the discord if anyone's trying to get some fights going, never really seen other people trying to use that method before now for duos/smallman fights.
Fri 20 Sep 2019 6:16 PM by Azuell
Killaloth wrote:
Fri 20 Sep 2019 3:55 PM
The main reason why the smallman area don't work very well is that there is no way to signal your presence.

Perhaps we should have /2vs2 /3v3 /4v4 commands so that only other smallman can see you.

Opponents can see where you are and they would know you are around the ruins smallman area.

/Slash cmds are also better than something flaming on a map because again, only smallman would see them.

There are also other issues that cannot be sorted with devs work. I won't share the name of the almost rr11 skald below but I hoped that "pick any class" and "my random bard is not even on discord" sounded reasonable enough for a decent fight. Or not?

I posted the same thing in the gvg clean fight thread. The only thing I disagree on is splitting it up based on group size. I think lumping groups of 2-5 together would be better. They can just list the size of the group with it. There aren't enough small man groups to segment it by group size. This way you have more options but also have the ability to try and avoid a larger group if necessary. Personally I don't mind fighting up to 4 people as a duo and even would welcome 5 on really bad nights.
Tue 24 Sep 2019 10:45 PM by Iuppiter
Azuell wrote:
Fri 20 Sep 2019 6:16 PM
Killaloth wrote:

I posted the same thing in the gvg clean fight thread. The only thing I disagree on is splitting it up based on group size. I think lumping groups of 2-5 together would be better. They can just list the size of the group with it. There aren't enough small man groups to segment it by group size. This way you have more options but also have the ability to try and avoid a larger group if necessary. Personally I don't mind fighting up to 4 people as a duo and even would welcome 5 on really bad nights.

+1 to this idea; especially 2-5 setups. As it is you can run around in a smallman constantly trying to dodge fgs and zergs but inevitably find almost no one to kill except occasional stragglers, soloers, or xpers. As a result smallman groups naturally get discouraged because it feels like there are no fun fights and the rps are low if any at all.

I think it would've made sense to change this at the same time as /gvg was accepted as a success. Devs essentially tried 2 ways of encouraging player-created "equal" action : designated zones and group flagging w/ displayed zone locations. Clearly /gvg was more successful, otherwise they'd take away /gvg and just say EV was the designated 8v8 zone so why not update the smallman option with the same stipulations? (you could even leave out cleanfight bonus rps, but punish any obvious abusers : e.g. sidecars using it to hunt smallmans)

I'd also add that smallman action with the flag would benefit the "casual" players. It's not nearly as hard nor as much of a time commitment to build a decent pug smallman as it is an 8-man, especially if you know there are fights to be had.
Fri 27 Sep 2019 4:02 PM by Azuell
Killaloth wrote:

Why you always attack us (Azuel and Shinie, sorc/cleric in purple and black) when you're solo haha? It doesn't seem like a fight you are going to win. You earned my respect last week when you didn't didn't help the 3-4 other hibs that jumped me after I watched your 1v1.

Obviously you can play how you want (rr10 = juicy rps for us) but just know you have a pass from us if you'd like. I'd rather fight your duo though, as a rr10 high det bm + ? (what do you normally run with?) could definitely cause problems for us.

We'll be on tonight if you want a 2v2.
Sat 28 Sep 2019 8:08 AM by Killaloth
Azuell wrote:
Fri 27 Sep 2019 4:02 PM
Killaloth wrote:

Why you always attack us (Azuel and Shinie, sorc/cleric in purple and black) when you're solo haha? It doesn't seem like a fight you are going to win. You earned my respect last week when you didn't didn't help the 3-4 other hibs that jumped me after I watched your 1v1.

Obviously you can play how you want (rr10 = juicy rps for us) but just know you have a pass from us if you'd like. I'd rather fight your duo though, as a rr10 high det bm + ? (what do you normally run with?) could definitely cause problems for us.

We'll be on tonight if you want a 2v2.

Your pet was in the water and I didn't know it was 2 of you. Once I came up to check I realised you were 2 but it was too late. It's a bridge so if you have a good stealther jumping on one of you you can still win. If cleric has purge down and sorc has moc down again you can still win. Very few chances but still possible and fun if it happens

Another problem is that I have a bad memory and most of the times I don't know who ppl are as I don't check or remember the names of people I killed or died to.

I duo with bards quite often, sometimes you find good lvl 48 bards, sometimes you find terrible ranked bards.

I was in 8 man yesterday but we'll meet again, I'll try to remember purple and black
This topic is locked and you can't reply.

Return to Open Community Votes or the latest topics