Minstrel macro allowed ?

Started 6 Feb 2019
by Tavi
in Ask the Team
Hello, everyone is telling me different things about macroing, and since the punishement for abuse is severe I wanna ask if the following is allowed.

The program being used is AutoHotKey ( I dont have a fancy macro keyboard )

QBinds:
F1: target pet
F2: charm pet
F3: Equip harp
F4: Speed song

The script is the following:

---------------------------------------
WheelDown::
Send {F2}
Send {F1}
Send {F2}
Return

Wheelup::
Send {F3}
Send {F4}
Return

Please do not answer if you don't have offical information, even though a lot of minstrel tell me that this is ok, half of the server said this would lead to a ban.
Wed 6 Feb 2019 11:23 PM by Dimir
None of what you're doing requires a built in delay so it seems 100% fine.

If for example if you did:
Equip Harp
Speed Song
Heal Song

That ^^ would require a 3.0 second delay between Speed and Heal Song, and thus be against the rules.
Wed 6 Feb 2019 11:54 PM by Quik
The technical rule is that you can't bind multiple actions to 1 key that doesn't have the normal delay for it I believe.

What you're doing is not uncommon.
Thu 7 Feb 2019 8:43 AM by Ashok
Tavi wrote:
Wed 6 Feb 2019 11:01 PM
WheelDown::
Send {F2}
Send {F1}
Send {F2}
Return

Wheelup::
Send {F3}
Send {F4}
Return

No delays, no automatic repetitive actions ==> allowed.
Thu 7 Feb 2019 9:17 AM by De Kus
Regarding delays...
I made a macro switching through 6 Paladin auras "instantely". But actually without delays the macro didn't work, I had to insert a 20ms delay between the keys (actually the Logitech Gaming software seperately records key down and key up events). I assume, because my game is running at 60 FPS (which is about 1 F/17ms) the games skips keys when too many are pressed within 1 frame. Is this already considered a delay, or do I correctly assume this is just to prevent the key buffer/queue of DAoC to be skipped, because the keypress woulbd be just too short for the game to even realize? Some macros might consider that fact and do not instantly execute the macros and making such delays in smal fractions of seconds anyway, even if not explicitely set.
Thu 7 Feb 2019 10:37 AM by Tavi
Same goes for AHK, even though the script that i posted has no sleep function in it, there is still a delay that happens between the send commands.

From the AHK docu:

Thus, a delay of 0 produces an actual delay between 0 and 20ms (or more)
Thu 7 Feb 2019 11:01 AM by Largo
Thats why i dont play Pala, keybinding the chants and put them all on one key to activate all chants need a small delay between each chant. On Live Server i used a delay of 100ms, this works in most situations.

The rules on Phoenix say NO delay and without delay Paladin Chants on one button didnt work. I think with Minstrel charm pet, play speed etc. its the same, u will need a small delay of 50ms between the actions target pet - delay - charm - delay - switch harp - delay - speedsong - delay ....
Thu 7 Feb 2019 11:21 AM by Sepplord
the thing is, there is no such thing as no delay (which is why i find it weird that it doesn't work if Op doesn't programm in a small delay himself...it should as there is no such thing as "at the same time" when we are talking about timeframes of ns/ms)

even computersignals, as fast as they might be, always have a sequence in which they are sent and processed by the server.
swapping a weapon from inventory and doing a style also wouldn't work without any delays (even if that was technically possible), and from some RvR videos i have seen people using that, that are still ingame...so i would think it is tolerated.

The devs have dodged this question, because (i assume) it opens the discussion up to a whole bunch of ifs/what/maybe and people would argue it to death. It doesn't seem though as if they ban without applying common sense.

BUT that is just my interpretation of the situation, so apply at your own risk
Thu 7 Feb 2019 3:00 PM by Ashok
If your script does not work without delays, feel free to change it.

Think bigger and out of the box. Don't hang on to the word 'delay'.
If you're not allowed to add a delay (=pausing the script and automatically continue after X miliseconds), add a pause which requires you to hit the key again to continue. Or use "key down" and "key up" commands seperatly instead of the combined "key".

Or add a switch mode (without the pause); 1 press is action X and Y, press 2 A + B, press 3 G + H... and start over.

Coding offers a broad toolset to engage issues from tons of angles; use them to get what you want and still comply to the servers rules.
Thu 7 Feb 2019 3:26 PM by Tavi
Ashok wrote:
Thu 7 Feb 2019 3:00 PM
If your script does not work without delays, feel free to change it.

Think bigger and out of the box. Don't hang on to the word 'delay'.
[...]
Coding offers a broad toolset to engage issues from tons of angles; use them to get what you want and still comply to the servers rules.

This is fair and makes a lot of sense, thanks for the clarification!

And thinking outside of the box is super hard if the punishment is deletion of all characters ^^
Sun 24 Feb 2019 10:28 PM by joejoetj
Delays and pauses are usually points in scripts that act up and cause it to misfire etc. It is best not to use those and too keep your script as simple as possible.
This topic is locked and you can't reply.

Return to Ask the Team or the latest topics