Stuttering and choppy gameplay

Started 13 Dec 2020
by BraxousMuse
in Support Center
I recently reinstalled and updated my gpu and ever since, when i log in the game is unplayable, just trying to walk forward or turn it takes up to a single minute, and when i do move or turn it just skips frames. Ive tried everything from reinstalling, to changing the ingame graphics, rolling back gpu drivers ang nothing seems to help. when i played 1 month ago it was fine now not so much. If you have any suggestions please let me know
Sun 13 Dec 2020 10:37 AM by Kevan89
It is a common issue with the latest nvidia drivers, just roll them back to a previous version. AFAIK no other workarounds for the moment.
Sun 13 Dec 2020 10:00 PM by Astaa
Turn off V-sync.

System tray > Nvidia Control panel > Manage 3D settings > Global settings, V-sync option is towards the bottom of the list. Works for most.
Mon 14 Dec 2020 12:19 AM by gotwqqd
Astaa wrote:
Sun 13 Dec 2020 10:00 PM
Turn off V-sync.

System tray > Nvidia Control panel > Manage 3D settings > Global settings, V-sync option is towards the bottom of the list. Works for most.
Didn’t work for me....I rolled back to early November driver
Mon 14 Dec 2020 1:17 AM by Razilly
Nothing has changed on Phoenix's side.
This is the result of Nvidia's latest drivers.

If the vsync trick doesn't help, a rollback should work.

If rolling back the driver doesn't work, this means the rollback either left some of the newer drivers installed or something else failed. Reinstalling the drivers will solve this:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1xRRx_3r8GgCpBAMuhT9n5kK6Zse_DYKWvjsW0rLcYQ0/edit

Please note we assume no responsibility for the guide linked above. It is simply a guide and a utility for installing/updating Nvidia drivers.
Mon 14 Dec 2020 6:13 PM by Kurbsen
if the lag is happening when you’re moving your cursor around as you’re moving. then change the polling rate of your mouse. it’ll solve the problem
Wed 16 Dec 2020 2:11 AM by Ganithor
You can also turn on Pointer Trails through the Mouse Settings in windows. Stopped the issue with mine and never had to adjust the polling rate down (though that was the first fix I used and it worked for awhile but started acting up again). They won't show up in game either so no worries there. Mouse Settings > Additional mouse options > Pointer Options > Display pointer trails. Hope it helps!
Wed 16 Dec 2020 6:43 PM by Astaa
gotwqqd wrote:
Mon 14 Dec 2020 12:19 AM
Astaa wrote:
Turn off V-sync.

Yeah same here, it improved it but it still stuttered, I also rolled back, which worked. New drivers landed about an hour ago so I will test later on, kind of fed up of driver swapping now.
Wed 16 Dec 2020 10:21 PM by Solong
Astaa wrote:
Wed 16 Dec 2020 6:43 PM
gotwqqd wrote:
Mon 14 Dec 2020 12:19 AM
Astaa wrote:
Turn off V-sync.

Yeah same here, it improved it but it still stuttered, I also rolled back, which worked. New drivers landed about an hour ago so I will test later on, kind of fed up of driver swapping now.

would be nice if you post the result of the new driver test later here .)
Thu 17 Dec 2020 7:28 AM by Astaa
Just installed the latest drivers, version 460.89 and it appears to have fixed the issue.
Thu 17 Dec 2020 8:57 AM by Astaa
Correction, they worked for about 30 mins and things started getting choppy again, not as bad as it was though.
Fri 18 Dec 2020 10:08 AM by Sepplord
For anyone with issues that can't roll back his driver anymore in the windows hardware manager

you can download older driver versions from the nvdia archive.
For example this is where you can get the latest driver, directly before the cyberpunk-driver that startet this issue:
https://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/167106/en-us
Fri 18 Dec 2020 6:14 PM by Astaa
Yeah, I keep both versions on my desktop and install whichever one I need for DAOC or the game that shall not be mentioned (by rule of a GM)

I like to think of it as some sort of console disk swapping nostalgia
Sat 19 Dec 2020 6:27 PM by begs
Uninstalling NVIDIA drivers with DDU and installing these drivers: https://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/167106/en-us

Fixed the stuttering issue for me too.
Tue 29 Dec 2020 6:30 PM by Dreloc
I got the problem as mentioned, that while running and moving the mouse the game freezes.

460.89 game ready and studio driver did not fix it but adding a mouse pointer trail (short) as described by one of the previous posters
Wed 30 Dec 2020 2:09 AM by Scorpio86
I'm getting the same thing however i don't use nvida. what about intel?
Wed 30 Dec 2020 8:01 AM by phelger
I was getting this as well, but freebsd's nvidia drivers are still on 440. Took me a while to bother trying it, but I moved my whole phoenix folder to ssd instead of running from spinning disk. Choppiness, stuttering, and ld's went away.
Thu 7 Jan 2021 4:46 PM by mooc
phelger wrote:
Wed 30 Dec 2020 8:01 AM
I was getting this as well, but freebsd's nvidia drivers are still on 440. Took me a while to bother trying it, but I moved my whole phoenix folder to ssd instead of running from spinning disk. Choppiness, stuttering, and ld's went away.

that is not the problem described here. i run daoc from a nvme-ssd and have the same issues.

nvidia drivers 460.79 and 460.89 cause this issue. if you rollback to 457.51 all is fine.

did someone test the new 461.09 driver?

greetz
Thu 7 Jan 2021 8:47 PM by joshisanonymous
mooc wrote:
Thu 7 Jan 2021 4:46 PM
phelger wrote:
Wed 30 Dec 2020 8:01 AM

that is not the problem described here. i run daoc from a nvme-ssd and have the same issues.

nvidia drivers 460.79 and 460.89 cause this issue. if you rollback to 457.51 all is fine.

did someone test the new 461.09 driver?

greetz

Not entirely sure if my problem is the same one, but this is happening for me with 461.09 installed. Never had a problem before. However, I was also playing on my laptop which just has an onboard Intel GPU.

For me, I get the following symptoms:
1) Occasional stuttering while moving
2) Difficulty getting mouse clicks to be recognized when trying to pan (double-clicking works better for some reason)
3) Flashing mouse cursor when dragging windows
4) Stuttering while dragging windows
5) Inability to open some windows in Baysan UI (they seem to all open with the default UI, but 1-4 still happens)

EDIT: Turning V-sync off and adjusting the mouse polling rate did nothing in my case. Also tried rolling back my drivers but that didn't help at all either.
Thu 7 Jan 2021 9:54 PM by Sepplord
How far die you Roll Back?
Did you Roll Back all the way to 457.51?

If yes it seem you have a different issue. Maybe could get more Help in a new thread...

Regarding v-sync and SSD....i only have an SSD and i never have v-sync in as i use v-sync, so i doubt this Driver issue is related towards that.

Sucks to hear that the new Driver doesn't fix it....dies anyone know If this is causing issues with other Games too or is this a very specific bug towards daoc? (Can we expect to ever get a fix or is reinstalling drivers the only solution?)
Thu 7 Jan 2021 11:00 PM by Jafeeio
Can confirm sadly that the new driver 461.09 did not help. It started out very promising with 10 minutes of lagfree gameplay but after that the game degraded to unplayable with massive fps drops and unresponsiveness. This is on a RTX 3060 TI, upgraded from a GTX 1070 which used to run the game great. I have played a variety of games, both old and new and none have these issues.
Thu 7 Jan 2021 11:09 PM by gotwqqd
Jafeeio wrote:
Thu 7 Jan 2021 11:00 PM
Can confirm sadly that the new driver 461.09 did not help. It started out very promising with 10 minutes of lagfree gameplay but after that the game degraded to unplayable with massive fps drops and unresponsiveness. This is on a RTX 3060 TI, upgraded from a GTX 1070 which used to run the game great. I have played a variety of games, both old and new and none have these issues.
It’s not the new card
I run a 1070 though I believe TI
And need old drivers
Thu 7 Jan 2021 11:11 PM by Sepplord
Dies anyone still play live and can confirm If it also Stifters there with new drivers...that could at least be something worthwhile reporting to nvdia
Fri 8 Jan 2021 12:11 PM by egh9cu
Can this issue be addressed by the GMs or will the only fix be to use older drivers?
Fri 8 Jan 2021 12:33 PM by Sepplord
egh9cu wrote:
Fri 8 Jan 2021 12:11 PM
Can this issue be addressed by the GMs or will the only fix be to use older drivers?

I doubt the devs can do much. They didn't change anything.
Fri 8 Jan 2021 8:41 PM by lochgnar
FIXED! - Well for me anyways. I was having this problem with my Logitech G602 mouse.

OK after trying other fixes (lowering report rate to 125), didn't have mousetrails on, uninstalling and reinstalling mouse..... The problem ended up being my Logitech G602 was only showing as HID-Compliant mouse.

I had to manually choose Logitech 600 driver from the list, even though windows did not show it as a compatible device, even gave me a warning..... After making that change I am now back to 120FPS and running smooth :slight_smile:

Rolling back Nvidia drivers wasn't an option as I had no "Earlier" drivers to roll back to, and had not yet downloaded any old drivers (Was going to be my next step)

Hope this may help some other poor soul with the FPS of doom when moving mouse in game.

/Cheers
Fri 8 Jan 2021 10:31 PM by Jafeeio
gotwqqd wrote:
Thu 7 Jan 2021 11:09 PM
Jafeeio wrote:
Thu 7 Jan 2021 11:00 PM
It’s not the new card
I run a 1070 though I believe TI
And need old drivers

Thanks for the info!

I have rolled back to 457.51 and have been absolutely issue-free now. Not a great longterm solution but it will have to do for now
Sun 10 Jan 2021 5:05 AM by Durandal
It got so bad for me earlier that every time I would bring up the mouse cursor and move it, it was like back in the olden days of daoc when you would drag resize that chat box! really bad so I rolled back the driver and it is no longer an issue, but hopefully there is some kind of fix as I cannot use old nvidia drivers forever.
Fri 15 Jan 2021 2:54 PM by voidcat
DISABLE THE "NVIDIA DISPLAY CONTAINER" SERVICE TO FIX STUTTERING WITH LATEST NVIDIA DRIVERS.

Edit for good measure, as some people are still trying to find solutions although this ^ is the one and only until nvidia fixes the bugs.
Fri 15 Jan 2021 10:51 PM by Centenario
voidcat wrote:
Fri 15 Jan 2021 2:54 PM
Then I closed the traybar nvidia app (this step might be unrelated) and disabled the "NVIDIA Display Container" service. BINGO!
Buttery smooth again.

this seems to be the solution
Tue 19 Jan 2021 11:31 PM by nadacharisma
1. Gpu driver roll back.
2. Window10 defender and other vaccine exception list add
3. Addware problem. Check addwares on app list window10
ex)smart service.exe
Look into c:/user/username/apldata/roam/...
Under folder u can find addware folder then delete and check start program process using ctrl+alt+del
Fri 22 Jan 2021 9:04 PM by Atum
V-Sync off and new driver 461.09 worked for me. never had those system lags before.

€ after 10min again lags, then disabled the "nvidia display container", let's see...
Fri 19 Feb 2021 1:57 AM by poly
Any update on this one ? Did the disabling of the nvidia containers helped for sure ? Any other solutions?
Sun 28 Feb 2021 7:25 PM by sklat
Can confirm, I was having this issue and after a ton of testing I found it was related directly to my cursor moving on the screen. If I held both right/left click down to move, so there was no cursor it would work fine... and if I only controlled movement with my keyboard it worked fine...

So, with the cursor being the problem I added the cursor trail (short) as mentioned previously in the thread. This DID resolve the issue but it was annoying to do every time I wanted to play the game... Disabling the NVIDIA Display Container service seems to have permanently solved the issue.
Mon 1 Mar 2021 7:59 AM by poplik
So reverting to previous driver version helped but I don't want to be stuck on that version forever. With latest drivers the cursor trail helps but it's a little annoying. I also tried disabling the container service and that did nothing
Tue 6 Jul 2021 5:22 AM by gc2k4life
I am having the same trouble, I disabled the Container Service, and eliminated a lot of the mouse lagging the game, but the mouse still lags my screen when moving it about. I can not play the game like this.
Sat 17 Jul 2021 11:14 PM by Samsulu
I had the same problem, stuttering and wonky mouse usage diabled the nvidia container service, problems gone. hopefully it stays that way:
This topic is locked and you can't reply.

Return to Support Center or the latest topics