Gem quality not affecting OC

Started 22 Mar 2018
by Draygon
in Ask the Team
As a spellcrafter I am curious about this change. While it may be a PITA having gem quality affect OC is, IMO, a good thing. It allows SC'ers to be able to set pricing based on OC vs non OC. With this change all rates will be the same and I dont think SC will be worth going through all the hassle of doing it if you arent really going to be able to really benefit from it. SC is expensive and if we are going to do it, I think the gem quality should affect OC (4x 99s minimum).

So I guess the question is, why was this thought as a good change?
Thu 22 Mar 2018 2:43 PM by Seigmoraig
How will this make it not worth leveling up SC ? It just means that you don't have to spend extra hours per set which means you can enchant more and make more money
Thu 22 Mar 2018 2:44 PM by gruenesschaf
You're saying yourself that leveling SC is expensive and it might not be worth doing it for you. What happens when there is high demand for something but limited supply?
Thu 22 Mar 2018 5:20 PM by Topenga
SC is expensive and if we are going to do it

Not true...roughly 7p to legendary...
Thu 22 Mar 2018 5:37 PM by Firby
Crafting in DAoC is already poopy. I am happy to hear that Gem Quality will not be affecting OC.
Thu 22 Mar 2018 9:25 PM by Draygon
Most SC charge their price based on OC or non OC, I do SC to make money so I can buy things I can't farm. Taking the gem quality out of the equation means no more OC charge and will overall drop the price on the market that an SC can charge for any piece.

I appreciate the thought behind it but doing this will have an adverse affect. It takes patience to be able to sit and do the SC, it's not for everyone, and part of that is having gem quality matter when it comes to OC
Thu 22 Mar 2018 10:59 PM by igraine
It will drop the price, but will also drop the cost.
Thu 22 Mar 2018 11:09 PM by Draygon
Cost affects us none, as the cost is factored I to the price of the SC itself. So as I mentioned above, I appreciate the thought but this change will actually be harmful to SCers not beneficial.

I ask that this please be rethought, the downside is greater than the up for those of us that enjoy SC
Fri 23 Mar 2018 1:55 AM by igraine
I ask that this please be rethought, the downside is greater than the up for those of us that enjoy SC

And the opposite for those who don't.

I'd be surprised if there were many who feel the same as you, but if there are, I'm sure it can be re-evaluated.
Fri 23 Mar 2018 6:29 AM by Tralina
Topenga wrote:
Thu 22 Mar 2018 5:20 PM
SC is expensive and if we are going to do it

Not true...roughly 7p to legendary...

Tell me how !! I cant believe it
Sat 24 Mar 2018 5:41 PM by Tree
Draygon is quite right. It devalues the profession to the extreme. Imagine blacksmiths would only produce MP weapons and armor. Its the same thing.
Sat 24 Mar 2018 11:36 PM by Hotrod
The price you can offer oc at goes down, but so do your material costs. Labour is reduced significantly as well. Try setting a rate that keeps your profits the same perhaps?

Additionally, since the xp rate is significantly faster on this server compared to Uthgard, you should have a higher demand for sc sets due to more ppl hitting 50 with more characters. Even with a smaller player base, due to the low number of lvl 50 characters on that server, Phoenix will likely have a higher demand for sc. I don't intend to explain supply and demand to you so hopefully you understand the significance of a higher demand with the same barrier to entry.

TL;DR: Be better at business.
Thu 24 May 2018 4:12 AM by Freedomcall
I currently have all Legendary Crafters but Fletcher on Uthgard.
Well, basically, I used other tradeskills only for myself, so i'm not sure how other WCers or ACers benefits.
But i can say i've taken quite many SC orders, and know about SC works.

Actually, SC work doesn't cost that much gold without focus staves.
But I charge 350g~400g per piece cuz it consumes enormous time.
I'd say 8 pieces of OC work will take approximately 2~3 hours(with full concentration, no semi-afk).
So what makes ppl to pay plats willingly has nothing to do with cost, but the time a SCer had to endure.

I'm pretty sure if quality of gem does not affect OC, SCing work itself will be just a piece of cake.
There will be a huge drop on price while a little bit of drop on cost.
And SCers won't be able to earn big money with this trade,
cuz demands are always limited while there should be more and more LGM SCers as time goes by.

I can't say which one will be better. There are two sides to every coin.
Most of the users will benefit from low price which will lower entry barrier to RvR.
However, like a person who selects to earn money from SC rather than farming, like Draygon, won't benefit.

Anyway.... my question here is, why only spellcrafting?
I think most of the users will benefit if weaponcrafters make MPs everytime, too.
Overcharging without quality issue is just as same as crafting MPs all the time with other trades.
Do you think WCers can benefit if they craft MPs all the time?
Thu 24 May 2018 7:12 PM by Varano
Yes, Please make OC simpler/cheaper.

This is a very welcome change.

Might actually be able to roll a tank first instead of a caster.

There are plenty of other ways to make coin if that is your goal.

I think more people will find this good rather than bad.
Fri 8 Jun 2018 5:15 PM by Rayvn11
Cant disagree with this opening up SCing to a larger audience.
Question though, if gem quality won't matter, will the SCer still need to be at 1000 to overcharge an item with only a small percent chance to explode? If so, there is still an inherent cost the SCer could reasonably charge just for sinking in the time to get to 1000.
Tue 12 Jun 2018 4:08 PM by gruenesschaf
The effect of SC skill on the overcharge mechanic has not been changed, you'll still need 1000 SC.
Wed 13 Jun 2018 1:44 AM by Delbert
Does the item quality still matter on OC?

And I can not see how making OCing easier is a bad thing. Yes, SCers can't charge as much, but what happens is once the crafters get a good amount of money saved up, they stop taking orders because it is a such a hassle.
Wed 13 Jun 2018 7:38 AM by Topenga
I owned all Crafters on every server I played so far,
so I'd say I know a little bit about the matter.

I guess in the endgame money is not the matter...time is.

With the crafting changes in effect the gem quality doesn't really matter anymore
because you'd be able to set up the /craftqueue command to do gems till you
reached a certain % gem.
Same applies to the MP discussion for WC, AC...just buy material, setup for
a certain percentage (I guess 100%) and let the script do the work.

So why make it complicated again if you already made it easier!?
This topic is locked and you can't reply.

Return to Ask the Team or the latest topics