Can someone explain why the realm timer shouldn't be on 60 minutes?

Started 25 Feb 2019
by hazzens
in Ask the Team
I'm just trying to wrap my head around it and it seems to be the ONLY fault I can find with this server. I'm not looking a gift horse in the mouth, I know this server is free and I can't imagine the amount of work you Devs have to do.

In saying that, in terms of ''cross realming'' or gathering information on the enemy..surely 60 minutes is absolutely plenty and circumvents that. Right now we are on mid, I can't stand mid. Often we have a few people on, not enough for a full group and the guys are semi afk waiting for a group to formulate. All of us would much rather be able to still actively do something. Should be able to hop on to hib or alb and do a little pve or leveling etc and still do a guild group if people log on an hour later.

60 minutes is extremely fair. If Live allowed no timer, I really think the Devs should do more than ''consider this'' Quite a few people are already bored being stuck to one realm. Two or three clicks and they could have it changed MUCH TO THE gratitude and benefit of majority of players.

Lack of options creates boredom. Boredom kills population.

Do you intend to look at this again soon or why exactly do you think 60 minutes ( which is absolutely loads ) wouldn't NEGATIVELY effect our experience?

Thanks for reading.
Mon 25 Feb 2019 12:07 PM by Ashok
The original timer was 24 hours. More to say?

While Phoenix does not strive to be a "full classic experience", we embrace classic values; like realm pride and your role & standing within that faction in the grand scheme. x-realming is of course a part of it.

You play Alb today and mid tomorrow; without waiting time in between (for most folks though).
Decide and live with your decision (if you want to play realm X or play with your friends Y).

12 hours are a compromise between the teams vision and the players needs.
This won't change, as said countless times before.
Mon 25 Feb 2019 1:11 PM by Durgrim
Geez, I love these sort of answers...they are so.....finalized
firm, fair and vigilant.
Mon 25 Feb 2019 2:36 PM by Dominus
1 hour is too short. Heck, our relic preparations took at least that long the last two evenings. Personally, I think realm pride should keep players invested in their realm, and not jumping to the other realms for whatever reason. My .02
Mon 25 Feb 2019 3:45 PM by Ebenezer
I'd be fine with no realm swapping at all (short of deleting your characters).

12 hours is a fair compromise. When you pick a realm for the day, you are locked into it.
If you want to realm-surf to find a group, find your group outside game before you login.
Mon 25 Feb 2019 4:41 PM by Vlalkor
We were talking about this (friends and I) and we see the point of having a medium set timer, although we feel that 6-8 hours can accomplish the same goal. Even on the other freeshard, while the timer itself was 7 days, the last 8 Hours only was the time you couldn't play.

8 hours is enough time to clear any advantages of switching for x-realming purposes, while allowing the players to play with their friends, (I mean cmon we've been at this game for 20 years, not everyone's friends are playing the same realm). This also allows groups to move to lower population areas on a day to day basis to help even the population out.
Mon 25 Feb 2019 5:04 PM by Anaethema
You feel that 6-8 hours is sufficient and if the developers change it, then someone else will be posting that 3-4 hours is sufficient and if that gets changed then yet another person will be posting that 1-2 hours is sufficient...

I am all for listening to players and taking into consideration their suggestions, but ultimately it's the GMs and Admins who make the final decision as to how their server will work. 12 hours seems like a fair compromise to me for so much enjoyment I get out of this game. (to be honest all I have are Hibs though)
Mon 25 Feb 2019 5:36 PM by Bradekes
12 hours is great! Can always change realms when I get home from work.. Not that I will ever switch from Hib tho
Mon 25 Feb 2019 5:45 PM by hazzens
I asked the question and I got an answer. That'll do. Seems its more to instill the realm pride as opposed to protecting relic raid type actions. Fair enough I guess, its your shard. Thanks for reply.
Thu 28 Feb 2019 10:08 PM by Lord_ManHammer
imo its silly to have a realm timer 12 hours, a 3 hour timer prevents any interference and doesn't punish players for wanting to play more than one realm. Maybe we dont all want to xrealm but maybe experience classes we havent played before?

The realm timer treats its playerbase the same way as the advice channel filter, it treats the playerbase like children and we are not.
Fri 1 Mar 2019 1:19 AM by The Skies Asunder
I just can't be bothered with "Realm pride" at this point. You can't make realm pride by simply locking people out of the other realms. We have all spent way too much time in all three realms over the years to have any sense of pride over it. I personally wish there was no timer at all, or an extremely short one, for PvE purposes at minimum, but I can live with the fact that people want one in place. Shame it isn't shorter though, as I would probably play a bit more instead of just logging off for the night when my friends/guildies all leave.
Sat 2 Mar 2019 3:09 PM by Roks
I dont think 60m is good, but 3-6hr would be.
Also I think it should count if you log into the realm, not the character screen. And I think it should count if you switch so you cant switch back.
Sat 2 Mar 2019 3:15 PM by Stoertebecker
Just for some answers after an official statement i`d make it 24h.
Sun 3 Mar 2019 8:44 AM by SlowMo
Hi Guys,

May I Instant Switch realm if I Delete all Chars I have so far?
Talking about a Level 8 SB only?

Ty
Sun 3 Mar 2019 10:37 AM by Sepplord
SlowMo wrote:
Sun 3 Mar 2019 8:44 AM
Hi Guys,

May I Instant Switch realm if I Delete all Chars I have so far?
Talking about a Level 8 SB only?

Ty

Ye s, deleting all chars lets you Switch immediatly
Sun 3 Mar 2019 10:46 AM by Phix
I've actually found and started talking with some really good friends (old guildmates) of mine from Uthgard 1.0. A couple of them rolled Hib and got templated before we found out they were back playing and the majority of us rolled Mid. We've been going back and forth trying to get each other to play the other realm and they're in their mid 40's on mid currently, but it's difficult to pre-plan because the two hib guys have a weird schedule and they also run with a group of people from Hib.

That being said, in our particular situation the only way to even make it possible to communicate ends up being to get them to text me as to when they'll be available within 2-3 hours of them being home. That tends to be around 8pm my time, that means if I want to be able to play with them (when they're around) I basically have to not play DAOC at all during that day until they text me telling me if they can play or not on Mid.

I understand realm pride (I have no desire to play much outside of Mid, just to play with my dirty Hib friends), I also fully understand the Dev's reasons for doing what they do. Relic raids alone can take a few hours to complete and are a perfect example of why the timer is in place, but a number of people I've casually spoken to believe that a 3-6 hour timer would accomplish pretty much the same thing that a 12 hour timer does. I could take a break in the afternoon for a few hours and watch some TV, then come back and figure out if my friends are going to be on.

All the above being said, I'm not expecting anything to change, just sharing my experience with the system and how it has (in some very first world problems ways) made it difficult to play with our compatriots. I really like this server and a lot of the zerg (just because of sheer numbers of people playing) play as it is a refreshing sight to compared to a lot of the previous 8v8 elitest RP farming servers, I love the work that the Admins/Devs are doing. Keep up the good work!
Sun 3 Mar 2019 11:14 PM by Halma
Roks wrote:
Sat 2 Mar 2019 3:09 PM
Also I think it should count if you log into the realm, not the character screen. And I think it should count if you switch so you cant switch back.
I think char selection screen does not count. Logging in or creating a character starts the timer.
Mon 4 Mar 2019 3:11 AM by Numatic
I would be okay with a 2 part timer.

Meaning if you log into alb, you are locked in to that realm for say 24 hrs. After the 24hrs is up, you need to be logged off for 3 hours to switch at any time. Most people want to switch without much wait after a day of playing another realm.
Mon 4 Mar 2019 5:39 AM by Roks
Halma wrote:
Sun 3 Mar 2019 11:14 PM
Roks wrote:
Sat 2 Mar 2019 3:09 PM
I think char selection screen does not count. Logging in or creating a character starts the timer.

You are right.
Fri 8 Mar 2019 11:48 AM by spell
I think 8 hours should be fair. Doing plat transfer between realm or paying rent for a house in a different realm shouldn’t cost your 24 hours of play time and I think that’s sufficient to achieve the realm pride goal.

12 hours is ok if we can transfer plat through account vault between realms or pay for rent on any house regardless what realm you’re logged in. That would be a good quality of life feature.

12 hour timer I’m ok with for playing other realms, but transfer, paying rent, other minor reasons shouldn’t cost 24 hours of play time IMO.
Fri 8 Mar 2019 5:57 PM by Roks
spell wrote:
Fri 8 Mar 2019 11:48 AM
I think 8 hours should be fair. Doing plat transfer between realm or paying rent for a house in a different realm shouldn’t cost your 24 hours of play time and I think that’s sufficient to achieve the realm pride goal.

12 hours is ok if we can transfer plat through account vault between realms or pay for rent on any house regardless what realm you’re logged in. That would be a good quality of life feature.

12 hour timer I’m ok with for playing other realms, but transfer, paying rent, other minor reasons shouldn’t cost 24 hours of play time IMO.

Ill be fine with 8hrs. Because this one server. I know back in live we could switch realms easy because there was the option of different servers and later on the different clusters.

But I dont like the idea of realm shared plat bank.
Fri 8 Mar 2019 6:43 PM by alusnova415
Lord_ManHammer wrote:
Thu 28 Feb 2019 10:08 PM
imo its silly to have a realm timer 12 hours, a 3 hour timer prevents any interference and doesn't punish players for wanting to play more than one realm. Maybe we dont all want to xrealm but maybe experience classes we havent played before?

The realm timer treats its playerbase the same way as the advice channel filter, it treats the playerbase like children and we are not.

You want to experience other classes or realms you haven't before ? You can , the devs didn't make this a 1 realm server , what is stopping you from trying out other realms?

The only thing you have to learn to manage is WHAT realm you want to play in that day.

There solved.
Fri 8 Mar 2019 10:32 PM by Belkiolle
I've got friends from all three realms, different guilds, from back in the day when I played Alb Percival, Hib Guin, and Mid Nimue. All three guilds have people playing but I'm locked into Alb only because of the timer and play times. Everyone is saying you just have to plan and it works out. Well that's not strictly true. My alb guild and friends are mostly US prime time players. My mid guild and friends are almost exclusively Euro players. My Hibernia guild and friends are a mix. If I play any one realm with my friends I'm locked out of playing with my other friends by the 12 hour timer because the other play times will always fall inside the timer and when it expires the only people available to play are the realm I started the cycle with which locks me out of the other two realms again. Basically whatever realm I choose locks me in for at least 36 hours.

At the root of it, I just hate blanket solutions. Ban the crossrealmers. Let everyone else that plays within the rules do so. Are you really trying to tell me that the majority of people are cross realmers that require a timer to stay within the rules? Populations have been fairly steady and balanced, at least according to the Herald counter, so why the major concern?
Fri 8 Mar 2019 11:13 PM by Luluko
yeah its quite long I saw a friends kill messages a few days ago in hib which I know from live but I dont want to logg hib and be logged out of mid for the whole day just to text him where I and a few others he knows play and its not possible to reach him outside the game because of no phone number or other means like an actual discord/skype adress I think 2-3hours would be enough as a realmtimer
This topic is locked and you can't reply.

Return to Ask the Team or the latest topics