The Sky Is Really Falling This Time

Started 24 Jul 2021
by gruenesschaf
in Tavern
Sat 24 Jul 2021 7:15 PM by drhmphoenix
Heartbreaking news but the logic is sound.

Huge thanks to the team working on this server -- it has often appeared to be a thankless job with 40 classes and 3 realms and endless different playstyles to balance and a community that is passionate but very... vocal. This has been the best gaming experience I've had in a long time and I appreciate the time and effort you guys put into making this a great server.

Looking forward to Phoenix Season 2
Spurs
Sat 24 Jul 2021 7:34 PM by AlacrityF42
Ah, poop. I had just come back and was re-educating myself on DAoC. Until next time!
Sat 24 Jul 2021 7:36 PM by Kaiawin
Tharlin wrote:
Sat 24 Jul 2021 3:34 PM
What is that "upcoming freeshard project"?

Did not get any information about anything and could not find any informations so far.
Can anybody help me and tell me where I can find informations about it?

A new server called ATLAS is supposed to going to open. You can already test the beta.
Sat 24 Jul 2021 7:47 PM by Kimahri
Pack it up, GMs are taking their ball and going home
Sat 24 Jul 2021 8:02 PM by necrolove1
Dang this stung, but nothing lasts forever. This was without a doubt the best DAOC experience I've ever had. Thank you for you efforts during these years!

I hope too see you guys again!
Manobrown
Sat 24 Jul 2021 8:10 PM by Reklewt
As always, thank you for your hard work. We disagreed on some of the direction, but this is without a doubt the best Daoc experience I have had and I am grateful for it.
Sat 24 Jul 2021 8:18 PM by Alghanite_EU
Zik wrote:
Sat 24 Jul 2021 11:21 AM
Thank you for that amazing freeshard, I've spent thousands of wonderful hours meeting amazing players from all around the world and having lot of fun thanks to all the QoL you implemented. I'll keep excellent memories of this server for long. I wish you all the best.
Zik, from Belgium.

Same as Zik with who i was playing for al ong time every thursday

I didn't like some actions/decisions you made but always recognize your hard work on this server (i was for some time a mapper on another server) so i know how long and how hard it can be to only implement one little dungeon so a whole game ... Thanks for your invest on that.
I was amazed by the possibility to get back to my favorite old game #firstloveandwillbethelast when i discovered your server. And i can say, as far as i know the best expérience i had from all freeshard i tried.

I spent countless hours in that game during 20 years and you gave me back that feeling i had in the first moments in 2001 and for that i will always be gratefull.

So even if i was sometimes furious, sometimes angry, sometimes disappointed... i had great fun and fantastic people encounters / adventures / discussions / quests and so on....

Thank you for all that and hope to meet again in a next project you may have.
Sat 24 Jul 2021 8:46 PM by Numatic
I left phoenix awhile ago (before Covid) when it became apparent that it was not going to be classic/SI with QoL improvements like it was said it was going to be. I saw things getting screwed with on a regular basis. Biased changes towards groups (like really, you need to buff an 8man against solo players?). These shards never last because they are always of the opinion of the developers and how *they* perceive the game they want, and not what's best for the many. This is why freeshards die. Because only a few people agree with a freeshard following one niche specific direction. Instead of appealing to the more broad audience. Obviously there's always going to be a certain downward progression. But that's also because you guys aren't game developers. You're software engineers/programmers. But that also doesn't mean it inevitably has to end due to low population.

I won't begrudge you your fair dues. You guys put a lot of hard work into it and gave many people a great experience. I just hope you learn from your mistakes and maybe give it another shot down the line.

Also, quit sucking on the 8man meta. It kills this game. Every. Single. Time. The best time in DAoCs history was when there was no meta. It needs to be discouraged because it takes away from the spirit of the game. Then again this is just another random person's opinion. But obviously the other way didn't work as per this post, right?
Sat 24 Jul 2021 9:14 PM by keen
Congratulations to the whole staff for what you have achieved. Out of the blue, setting a new benchmark for the servers to come.
Thanks for the ride and thanks for the contribution for the daoc community. hope to see phoenix#2.
keen
Sat 24 Jul 2021 9:31 PM by ExcretusMaximus
Numatic wrote:
Sat 24 Jul 2021 8:46 PM
But obviously the other way didn't work as per this post, right?

Let's see ... their posted typical timetable of freeshards has them dying around six months, but this one lasted over four years. I'd say you're wrong, but after reading the rest of your post, I'll just say you're clueless.
7,881,878 | 4,708,489 | 3,049,781

Return to Tavern or the latest topics