Started 24 Jul 2021
by gruenesschaf
in Tavern
Tue 3 Aug 2021 3:13 AM by easytoremember
Olk wrote:
Mon 2 Aug 2021 1:30 PM
Sarkon wrote:
Mon 2 Aug 2021 12:02 AM
Been trying to detox from gaming this summer, sad to hear, this is the best server. My biggest criticism of DAOC is they never remastered it. One thing it has over WoW is the three realm dynamic. I always thought that added a lot of complexity to RvR that I haven't seen in an mmo since. I think a DAOC2 would be really popular. Personally, the retro graphics do not bother me, but to kids that didn't grow up with it, it looks unplayable.

There is a tiny slither of hope for Camelot Unchained to actually ve somewhat of a DAoC 2, but I wouldn't count on it.
The moment Mark bowed out on DAoC2 that was doomed. CU is an engine demo that doubles as a dollar roller
Tue 3 Aug 2021 10:40 AM by Hector
I think a simple wipe > revert settings to what they were when Phoenix launched in 2019 > go again with Phx 2.0 would probably instantly give you the players you seek.
Tue 3 Aug 2021 3:22 PM by BaldEagle
OF is comical. That crap will die in 4 months and people will be begging to come back to phoenix.
Tue 3 Aug 2021 6:47 PM by borodino1812
Doiri wrote:
Tue 3 Aug 2021 1:24 AM
You all see it too pessimistically. Read Gruenesschaf's post again carefully and read between the lines.

Here's a bit of hopium.

"Phoenix" was Origins 2 (same team, more or less). Origins 1 also closed its doors after a few years, after player numbers dropped. They came back after a break with Phoenix and the improvements compared to Origins were MASSIVE. The way I see it, that's the mentality of this team: leave with dignity when the time has come (Uthgard, take note), reorient, improve, fix bugs, build back better. I'm sure many of the big changes were seen as not beneficial in retrospect; however, these can't be rolled back without losing more players with each patch. Therefore, a hard reset makes the most sense at this point.

Origins was Part 1 of the story.
Phoenix was Part 2 of the story.
Part 3 will come, and it will be a jump in quality like between Part 1 and Part 2.
I will make sure to shill in other games in chat for the new server, as I have done consistently for the launch of Phoenix in Black Desert Online by buying megaphones with my Pearls and loyalty points.

DAoC's time is not over now any more than it was over 5 or 10 years ago.

Instead of crying here in the thread, start thinking of name suggestions for Part 3. Both "Origins" and "Phoenix" (after the death of Origins) made sense.
The name for Part 3 has to make sense too.
Ressurection? Ascension? Revelation?

Cheers.

Just the type of positive post you need when the holiday is over and the true grind awaits!
Wed 4 Aug 2021 4:48 AM by lolhisup
Thanks for the time that I got to spend playing here. I slept on it and I realized I spent a lot of time playing here. I played in Thid a lot at the start. I leveled characters, I farmed plat, I sold stuff on the house market, I did some solo pvp at 50, ran with zergs, and did small man seldomly. I leveled on Alb, and Hib, and tried Mid but couldn't get into it. Looking back, for what it is worth, I just recall hours and hours of playing, day in and day out.

Wildsquirrel
Thu 5 Aug 2021 1:58 AM by dbeattie71
Will there be a, Delta is coming, beg to keep Phoenix open, thread?
Edyp / Barbaz / Armoz / Ociz
Fri 6 Aug 2021 3:04 AM by Faltain1
Well, as someone whom was enticed to this server as an Uthgard alternative with QoL improvements I cannot say I'm surprised, (and if anything I'm more surprised this server lasted as long as it did). It's obvious you put hard work in, and that should be commended no doubt, but there was clearly a lack of vision on what you wanted the server to ultimately be.

People won't admit it, but we are lemming-like in how we make decisions, especially for something as niche as this. We won't bother playing on a freeshard for DAoC (a now 20+ year old game) if there isn't a likelihood the server will stick around awhile and make our time investment worth it. I think that was a huge reason why this server was as successful as it was for as long as it was; it was the real only alternative for people to play DAoC (and not have to worry about 20+ years of people on the live servers who've stuck it out there having such huge headstarts to the point starting there as a fresh account is a waste of time).

Having said that, with all the changes made here, this wasn't a Classic DAoC server anymore. I'm not sure what I'd call it - but I wouldn't call it Classic. It doesn't have ToA or any of the follow-up expansion sure, BUT I'd argue with all the changes made you pushed it way past a Classic ruleset. In my instance, when you switched to New Frontiers you basically relegated me to battlegrounds as I LOATHE the generic layouts and wide-swathes of nothingness they have compared to the Old Frontiers. I won't get started on the changes to the loot system, nor will I prattle on about the Kill Task system or the XP item turn ins (both of which have positives and negatives attached to them). I at least sort of understood those features.

The looking for group feature sounded great, in theory --- until you realize the playerbase nowadays are min-maxing tryhards and it's nothing but "LOOKING FOR ANOTHER PBAOE FOR OUR GROUP!" spam. People rolling Ice Wizards/Enchanters/Spiritmasters should just get auto-grouped and save the spammers the trouble when playing on Phoenix. People calling that crowd toxic earlier in this thread aren't wrong, either. You even started seeing people using their XP bonuses from PVE dungeon clears to screw over casuals further, (something I could've called a mile away happening). If you have systems in place that discourage casuals from sticking around, and encouraging the people who treat this as a second job, you only have yourself to blame when the casuals stop logging in. I was getting WoW "Gearscore of XXX required!" vibes - yeah, no thanks there Sparky.

Lastly, as others have pointed out, it felt like you guys (the Devs) had a coding itch you just had to keep scratching. I would routinely check the News section on here to say "What new scheme have the Phoenix Devs come up with next to screw with their DAoC shard?" You didn't disappoint me in that regard as time after time you'd present (often boggling) decisions to "spruce up" the game, (that in the end hurt rather then help). I was looking through the style and mob changes that were posted and I got a solid laugh and realized I wasn't going to be playing here ever again as what you'd be running at that point was DAoC themed in name only.

I almost feel like you guys needed an Editor of some sort when it came to your server changes. Community votes are fine for some things, but changing CORE concepts of a game that we all know and love just for the sake of changing them should've been more thought out and debated rather then just dumping them onto players.

C'est la vie. Good luck if you open another server down the line, and if you do hopefully you'll approach it with a more careful laser-focused approach from the getgo.
Fri 6 Aug 2021 10:27 AM by MeatBicycle
Faltain1 wrote:
Fri 6 Aug 2021 3:04 AM
Lastly, as others have pointed out, it felt like you guys (the Devs) had a coding itch you just had to keep scratching. I would routinely check the News section on here to say "What new scheme have the Phoenix Devs come up with next to screw with their DAoC shard?" You didn't disappoint me in that regard as time after time you'd present (often boggling) decisions to "spruce up" the game, (that in the end hurt rather then help). I was looking through the style and mob changes that were posted and I got a solid laugh and realized I wasn't going to be playing here ever again as what you'd be running at that point was DAoC themed in name only.

That is also my opinion. Sometimes things were changed just because you felt you had to change something. It's just that a lot of it wasn't well thought out. The community has certainly made many mistakes themselves and often acted stupidly. But that also applies to the decisions of the devs.

Nevertheless, it was a nice time and I found an old friend after almost 20 years, with whom I now live together. Many thanks for that.
Fri 6 Aug 2021 4:04 PM by sebbo
Well, thanks for the fun which we could have, as long as it lasted.

I really appreciated the release, it really felt like classic DAoC with a lot of QoL improvements.
For me, the fun dropped with some changes, like taking out the unique abilities/skills of several classes, "adjusting" styles. I came here to experience the old classic DAoC feeling, and over time, it turned into a nearly-i50-with-lack-of-unique-classes-experience, getting grouped became ponintless somehow due to enough xp loot. lvl 50 in one day, solo? no big deal.

A complete PRO for me was leveling bonusses when having different classes in your group, that was a huge QoL improvment. A total NO-GO for me was the whole loottable baseing on ROGs only, except for a few OTDs. Crafting was pointless until working on your level 50 equip (which still based on ROGs at the end). NF was also a big deal, the rvr ended up in porting around like crazy, just to get some RP´s from the zerg. People just ran between towers and keeps, PvEing the guards and the lord for a few RP´s.

You´ve put in a LOT of work, just sometimes the effort was put in the wrong decisions. Serving the part of the players what we would call "erlebnisorientierte Spieler" in german wasnt the best decision from the staff.
Sat 7 Aug 2021 3:55 AM by Sarkon
Jeterix wrote:
Mon 2 Aug 2021 8:11 PM
I have been checking out the mmo scene lately and it is unbelievable how millions of people are playing these new trash mmos. Where is the RvR combat? Its all flagging and 10v10 instance battles and guild v guild matchups but that just doesn't compare to how awesome RvR can be. Why does every mmo have a global cooldown timer and reuse timers on every ability so you have to have "rotations" instead of just having a DD spell or positional styles??? It is unbelievable how mmos have not improved at all in the last 10 years. I am still waiting for a game that does RvR better than DAoC, hell DAoC group pve was even better than most of these other trash mmos, but for now I think daoc was the best mmo ever made.

I am sad to see this server go, this just feels like the death of daoc.

Well said. No other mmo has captured the beauty of daoc, especiall rvr.

Return to Tavern or the latest topics