"Easiest" Class

Started 19 Sep 2018
by Scout123
in RvR
I've been playing DAoC since SI was released. I have extensive experience in all three realms pveing. I have even made it to rr5 on 3 classes over this span (1 on Mordred though). However, over all this time, I've never been competitive i.e. been a part of a solid 8-man, running everyday with the same folks.

I know competitive RvR is as much about the group comp you're going up against as it is knowing your own role, but I am here looking for everyone's opinion: what class (any realm) has the easiest learning curve? Traditionally I feel melee dps is straight forward, but think I've always over-simplified it, possibly playing it wrong.

I'm looking to have some fun here in Phoenix, but also want to improve my RvR skills. I need to get back to the basics. There will be many follow-up questions, probably in a new thread. But first, your thoughts on what class to start with, go!
Wed 19 Sep 2018 2:29 AM by Leith
Well i think if you want it easy maybe Berserker? Join the melee train, push your vendo Button once you are going to zerg down a vital target. No slam, just doublefrost spamming and maybe backstyle when the target is running from you. I think it is pretty much straight forward. At least if you don't have to run around and rupt casters.

Second I would consider theurg. Stay back and put your pets on priority targets to rupt them. Ofc everything can be on a high level learing curve dependant on what you and your group wants you to perform.
Wed 19 Sep 2018 5:28 AM by Cadebrennus
Light Tank. Easy to learn, difficult to master.

Like the aforementioned poster said, there's a couple of basic things you can do and be passable while still having a good time and be an asset to your group.

The mastery part comes in at truly knowing your class's strengths and weaknesses, how best to use your class abilities, RAs, and most importantly, skill lines and their respective styles and growth rates. The meta-game really kicks in when you pay very specific attention not just to your spec but also your template and go beyond the standard templates that make you and your playstyle shine. That's the mastery part.

Merc is my personal favourite of the Light Tanks because of the versatility of the class compared to the other Light Tanks. Sadly this versatility is utilised by less than 1% of Merc players and eventually you might see that.
Wed 19 Sep 2018 6:11 AM by relvinian
Scout123 wrote:
Wed 19 Sep 2018 2:13 AM
I've been playing DAoC since SI was released. I have extensive experience in all three realms pveing. I have even made it to rr5 on 3 classes over this span (1 on Mordred though). However, over all this time, I've never been competitive i.e. been a part of a solid 8-man, running everyday with the same folks.

I know competitive RvR is as much about the group comp you're going up against as it is knowing your own role, but I am here looking for everyone's opinion: what class (any realm) has the easiest learning curve? Traditionally I feel melee dps is straight forward, but think I've always over-simplified it, possibly playing it wrong.

I'm looking to have some fun here in Phoenix, but also want to improve my RvR skills. I need to get back to the basics. There will be many follow-up questions, probably in a new thread. But first, your thoughts on what class to start with, go!

Light enchanter with snare caster lvl 7 pet is just about as simple as it gets.

1. Nuke.
2. Shift drag attack button to this bar.
3. Shift drag passive button to this bar.
4. Stun.
5. Quickcast.

You sir are essentially done. Maybe throw a couple interrupts on alt bar.

See target hit button 2 and then button 4. nuke nuke nuke.

If they interrupt you? Hit button 2, button 5 for quick cast, button 4 for stun, nuke nuke nuke.

This can kill a lot of players. Anyone but stealthers. And it just might kill them too.

Albs has something similar called a theurgist.

Just need 2 buttons for them. pet button and quick cast button.
Wed 19 Sep 2018 6:57 AM by rubaduck
First choose an archtype: Melee, caster or healer.

Then find the potential you want. Straight up melee combat, go for either a heavy tank (Warrior, Hero, Armsman) or sacrifice some defense for more offense and go for a light tank (mercenary, berserker, savage, blademaster) . Your job is to peel and focus melee damage. In caster groups you are the backline peeler, in melee groups you are the train.

While choosing a caster would make you believe it's all about target, nuke nuke, kill , ka$$$ing RPs, your primary task is so much more based on your class rather then the end goal. Hibernia nukers, well.. obviously stun debuff nuke, but unless you're the MA Enchanter you have other tasks. The mentalist demezz and worst case scenario heal, the eldritch's primary task is to disease and nearsight enemy healers and casters before switching to nuking. Every other realm has casters that needs to do their jobs to make sure you can set up fight in your favour. Theurgists primary job is to interrupt and stop enemy team from setting up the fight. Sorcs are crowdcontrol and MA debuffers / nukers. They might seem like easy classes on paper but put them in context and together with other classes you'll quickly realize that they have different tasks other then killing and slaughtering.

Healers are both the easiest, and the hardest. It requires you to value your cooldowns, as well as make sure you maintain the power to keep your team alive. You have a multitude of different types of support classes. Warden, bards, druids, shamans, healers, cleric and friar. Some are battle oriented, some are utility oriented, some are crowd controllers and some are just there to make sure the team is vigorous. The core idea behind it is to heal and buff though.

The hardest classes to play are without a doubt the hybrids. Paladin, Thane, Valewalker, Reaver, Savage,, Champion, Friar and Warden. Not because they have both spells, melee, heals and buffs, but because they sacrifice something that may be done better thus make sure you're excluded from groups *cough*Paladins,thane,champion*cough*

In the end, it requires you to do one thing and only one thing, regardless of the class you choose to play: Communicate. Fail to do this and you'll make it hard on yourself regardless of what you're choosing to play.

EDIT: some info on hybrids.
Wed 19 Sep 2018 8:34 AM by Druth
My list takes this into account what is minimum required effort to be viable, all classes can be played at their full potential and shine, but some requires "skill" to even be viable.
Easy classes, in my humble and honest opinion, which is in no way meant to insult anyone, or anything...:

Cleric - heal and positioning is all you need to focus on, can stun a cloth/support, but you will get far as a cleric if you manage to heal, cure and pre-kite (meaning you don't stand still the whole fight...).

Berserker - Assist and use one style, without needing to position. Really doesn't get much easier.

Scout - Easy to template, and can get by with very few keys, shoot/slam/stealth.

Other classes are also easy, but classes like merc/bm/arms/hero etc... requires the use of thinking which styles you use (snares, guard etc...).
Casters, in my view, are hard classes to start out with, because you need to see the whole fight and move accordingly. If you get caught by melee assist you are often dead. A cleric, for example, works better if he does not get caught, but is rarely dead by it (insta heals and chain).
Wed 19 Sep 2018 1:55 PM by rubaduck
Druth wrote:
Wed 19 Sep 2018 8:34 AM
My list takes this into account what is minimum required effort to be viable, all classes can be played at their full potential and shine, but some requires "skill" to even be viable.
Easy classes, in my humble and honest opinion, which is in no way meant to insult anyone, or anything...:

Cleric - heal and positioning is all you need to focus on, can stun a cloth/support, but you will get far as a cleric if you manage to heal, cure and pre-kite (meaning you don't stand still the whole fight...).

Berserker - Assist and use one style, without needing to position. Really doesn't get much easier.

Scout - Easy to template, and can get by with very few keys, shoot/slam/stealth.

Other classes are also easy, but classes like merc/bm/arms/hero etc... requires the use of thinking which styles you use (snares, guard etc...).
Casters, in my view, are hard classes to start out with, because you need to see the whole fight and move accordingly. If you get caught by melee assist you are often dead. A cleric, for example, works better if he does not get caught, but is rarely dead by it (insta heals and chain).

I have the feeling that many people believe casters to be easy, regardless of their realm. They do more then just nuke. I've seen some references to Theurgist, 1 button qbar class. Well you need to target the right people, and if you don't you'll waste mana, time and effort. I am not saying this is hard, but it ain't easy either considering one should notify the team who you're focusing on (i.e Pets on Druid or pets on healer, or pets on <anycaster>. It's easy if you know how to do it, but it's not a face roll caster.
Wed 19 Sep 2018 3:17 PM by Scout123
Great input so far, I appreciate the responses. I need to think about what I want to do. Are light enchanters usually included in RvR, or do I need a caster group? Same goes for thuerg.
Wed 19 Sep 2018 4:12 PM by Onnit
Light Ench was not a great example to give as they are not wanted in groups as they have 0 utility and groups will just take a 2nd eld for NS/ disease or Menta for extra demezz etc

Theurgist however are wanted in nearly all alb groups even the tank setups as played well they can really fuck over the enemy casters and supporters with the interrupts.
Wed 19 Sep 2018 4:29 PM by Scout123
Is there a realm population imbalance for NA primetime? This might help determine which realm I choose. Alb is my least desired, but between cleric and theurg, it sounds like it might be a good place to start.
Wed 19 Sep 2018 5:02 PM by Magesty
Scout123 wrote:
Wed 19 Sep 2018 4:29 PM
Is there a realm population imbalance for NA primetime? This might help determine which realm I choose. Alb is my least desired, but between cleric and theurg, it sounds like it might be a good place to start.

Seems to me that alb is over populated during NA times. Unlikely beta is an accurate reflection of what will be happening on live though.
Wed 19 Sep 2018 5:17 PM by Scout123
Magesty wrote:
Wed 19 Sep 2018 5:02 PM
Scout123 wrote:
Wed 19 Sep 2018 4:29 PM

Seems to me that alb is over populated during NA times. Unlikely beta is an accurate reflection of what will be happening on live though.

Fair point
Wed 19 Sep 2018 7:45 PM by relvinian
Onnit wrote:
Wed 19 Sep 2018 4:12 PM
Light Ench was not a great example to give as they are not wanted in groups as they have 0 utility and groups will just take a 2nd eld for NS/ disease or Menta for extra demezz etc

Theurgist however are wanted in nearly all alb groups even the tank setups as played well they can really fuck over the enemy casters and supporters with the interrupts.

Actual set groups use mana/light secondary chanters to debuff heat for themselves and any other light/heat classes like elds or menta.

Same thing with them only sick pet, stun, debuff, nuke nuke

plus its the xp/farm spec of pbaoe or bombing.
Thu 20 Sep 2018 6:30 AM by Falken
Light tanks are pretty easy to play, but hard to master as somebody already mentioned. Easiest light tank is a zerker, because there is no expectation to slam targets, you just dps and don't vendo on inc unless you need to create pressure, but be prepared to be focused in vendo.
Thu 20 Sep 2018 12:12 PM by Druth
Every class is hard to master, it's implicit in the word "master", but I know what you mean.

Light tanks just have it a lot easier, because basic job is to assist/kill. A good light tank will also snare, guard, not ove-extend etc...
But the basics are easy enough.
Thu 20 Sep 2018 12:30 PM by rubaduck
If you want to play light spec enchanter, a mentalist will be much better option. You're not the MA, you just assist the enchanter and nuke. You do have to pay attention to demezz and on very rare occasions heal. Pet management is also needed, but through macro it's easy to get in to it.
This topic is locked and you can't reply.

Return to RvR or the latest topics