Advice on Infiltrator Spec for this Patch

Started 12 Sep 2018
by Burlane
in RvR
I'm not new to the infiltrator, I played one on live up to RR11. However, I am new to the inf during this particular patch, so i'm looking for some advice on a solid spec for RR3-RR4. Here are a few spec's , I'd like your thoughts on which are strong and why.

---- Critical Strike Spec ----
50 CS / 37 Stealth / 37 Thrust / 37 Envenom / 25 DW
Have to stick with Critical Strike styles mostly here with composite weapon spec

---- Dragonfang Spec ----
39 CS / 37 Stealth / 50 Thrust / 37 Envenom / 21 DW
Is Dragonfang (9 sec stun off evade) really op'ed in this version?

---- Dual Wield Spec (at Realm Rank 5) ----
39 CS / 35 Stealth / 35 Thrust / 35 Envenom / 44 DW
This is the spec I played most on live in NF (later patches), is it still viable here?

Thoughts ? Let me know if there are other spec's i should consider
Thu 13 Sep 2018 3:57 AM by phixion
50 Thrust is a must have, It's literally an "I win" button.

If your targets purge is down, you win... pretty much.
Thu 13 Sep 2018 4:42 AM by Leith
Burlane wrote:
Wed 12 Sep 2018 2:53 PM
I'm not new to the infiltrator, I played one on live up to RR11. However, I am new to the inf during this particular patch, so i'm looking for some advice on a solid spec for RR3-RR4. Here are a few spec's , I'd like your thoughts on which are strong and why.

---- Critical Strike Spec ----
50 CS / 37 Stealth / 37 Thrust / 37 Envenom / 25 DW
Have to stick with Critical Strike styles mostly here with composite weapon spec

---- Dragonfang Spec ----
39 CS / 37 Stealth / 50 Thrust / 37 Envenom / 21 DW
Is Dragonfang (9 sec stun off evade) really op'ed in this version?

---- Dual Wield Spec (at Realm Rank 5) ----
39 CS / 35 Stealth / 35 Thrust / 35 Envenom / 44 DW
This is the spec I played most on live in NF (later patches), is it still viable here?

Thoughts ? Let me know if there are other spec's i should consider

Hopefully they will change the 15thrust 6s stun after Block style to after evade. Ofc you have 3s less stun but many points left as you do not have to go all the way up to 50thrust. And as you are not able to do hamstring chain right after the 9s stun is not that good anymore imho
Sat 15 Sep 2018 11:57 AM by jelzinga_EU
Leith wrote:
Thu 13 Sep 2018 4:42 AM
Hopefully they will change the 15thrust 6s stun after Block style to after evade. Ofc you have 3s less stun but many points left as you do not have to go all the way up to 50thrust. And as you are not able to do hamstring chain right after the 9s stun is not that good anymore imho

Personally I feel 6 sec @ 15 level for an off-evade is way too strong. Dragonfang with 9 secs is very strong (in 9 secs you can pretty much kill everything if they don't purge). Infiltrators have the advantage of spec-points, allowing for Wyrd-specs to get a 6s. stun is silly. To compare, NS get a 5 sec stun at 25 Spec and they got a lot less spec-points.
Sat 15 Sep 2018 4:22 PM by Geek
jelzinga_EU wrote:
Sat 15 Sep 2018 11:57 AM
Leith wrote:
Thu 13 Sep 2018 4:42 AM

Personally I feel 6 sec @ 15 level for an off-evade is way too strong. Dragonfang with 9 secs is very strong (in 9 secs you can pretty much kill everything if they don't purge). Infiltrators have the advantage of spec-points, allowing for Wyrd-specs to get a 6s. stun is silly. To compare, NS get a 5 sec stun at 25 Spec and they got a lot less spec-points.

NS has a dd and a castable. I think that balances things enough...
Mon 17 Sep 2018 1:13 PM by Thinal
As was briefly mentioned in this thread, reactionary styles have been changed on this server to 1) give the player a 3 second window to react (which I understand is live-like though I've not played live) but 2) you only get ONE reactionary style, even if you weren't swung at in between blows (which is definitely NOT live-like, again per my understanding).

It's common for Infs and NSs to chain their after-evade stuns into the CS-line after evade chain. That can't happen on Phoenix. The stun itself is still useful if it gives you some unanswered blows and perhaps the opportunity to set up a positional chain, but it's a definite nerf.

I play HIb so I can't say if the 9-second stun is still worth the massive spec point investment, but this is something you need to consider in your spec. On the plus side, maybe this could let you take that honkin' pile of specs and build something viable here that would be a complete waste without dragonfang on another server.
Mon 17 Sep 2018 7:28 PM by gruenesschaf
Thinal wrote:
Mon 17 Sep 2018 1:13 PM
As was briefly mentioned in this thread, reactionary styles have been changed on this server to 1) give the player a 3 second window to react (which I understand is live-like though I've not played live) but 2) you only get ONE reactionary style, even if you weren't swung at in between blows (which is definitely NOT live-like, again per my understanding).
Both is exactly as it is right now on live which was changed in some 1.9x patch, in 1.65 there would be no window and it would literally be until the enemy swings again.
Mon 17 Sep 2018 10:19 PM by Thinal
gruenesschaf wrote:
Mon 17 Sep 2018 7:28 PM
Thinal wrote:
Both is exactly as it is right now on live which was changed in some 1.9x patch, in 1.65 there would be no window and it would literally be until the enemy swings again.

Well in any case, it's a nerf. I'd have a tough time going to 50 thrust in this environment, but a 9 second stun is certainly not useless by itself, so there you go. Nightshade has easier decisions. :p
Mon 17 Sep 2018 11:31 PM by Cadebrennus
gruenesschaf wrote:
Mon 17 Sep 2018 7:28 PM
Thinal wrote:

On live you only had until your next opponent's swing to get a reactionary style off. This is why swinging at cap speed was so important on live. This is also why prior to having umpteen bonuses to swing speed people used fast weapons for three reasons; 1) to get more styles off, 2) (the most important) to have an increased chance of getting a reactionary style off in between your opponent's swings and 3) to make it harder for your opponent to get off reactionary styles on you.

Why is this important? It's important because you had to make a choice between 1) more reactionary styles or 2) bigger styled hits. This led to a variety of playstyles and weapon choices.

However, with the implementation of the 3 second window it dumbs down the metagame within the combat system and leads everyone to only using the slowest weapons possible because no matter how fast you actually swing, you will ALWAYS have 3 seconds to get off the reactionary style.
Sat 22 Sep 2018 2:39 AM by Niix
50 DW, 34 CS, balance rest composite 50 (rr5 or 6+)... just beat 'em down.
This topic is locked and you can't reply.

Return to RvR or the latest topics