Bride of the Red Lake

Started 13 Oct 2018
by florin
in PvE
Was messing around in Barfog with our local necro scholar @woodspryte. Testing different specs on the epic mobs and ran into this beauty.

Don't see it on google - anyone recall this mob or is it a custom welsh legend addition?

https://imgur.com/a/1z5DmWh

Thanks
Sat 13 Oct 2018 6:30 AM by Uthred
It is a custom mob placed by us.
Sat 13 Oct 2018 6:31 AM by florin
!!!!

Love it

Rock on!
Tue 16 Oct 2018 9:44 AM by romulus
That is so cool! I'm interested in the lore behind her. I think I'll take a jaunt out there and have a look-see for myself.

Thanks, Sir Woodspryte!, for the reveal!
Tue 16 Oct 2018 1:09 PM by florin
I'd like to go out there and see what the strategy is for taking her out. I'm not sure if Woodspryte has seen her, he was coaching me on the other epic mobs in the area when I ran into her looking for Fester.

- pepelivesmatter
- altknight
Tue 16 Oct 2018 1:31 PM by romulus
She's a toughie. Focus pull with my cabbie didn't work at all: she nukes the caster while ignoring the pet. Didn't even dent her.
Tue 16 Oct 2018 1:36 PM by florin
It looks like my Abom cold proc hits for like 300 plus but the damage shield is scaled down. It's like christmas morning finding new things like this.
Tue 16 Oct 2018 1:50 PM by florin
Llyn Coch, or the Red Lake, is a Welsh lake situated on Mount Snowdon; an area steeped in legend and folklore. One legend tells how a mortal man made a contract that allowed him to take a bride from the Otherworld that he had met at the Red Lake and fallen in love with. However, it was essential that he abide by the terms of that contract. In Welsh tradition and folklore, there are a number of similar examples of stories where a mortal man takes a bride from the Otherworld. In these examples, they live happily together, sometimes having children, but there is often a sad ending. One example is found in the tale of the Lady of Llyn y Fan Fach. In many cases, the man finds his love living in a remote lake or pool of water and the two fall in love, wishing never to part. After making a promise to her father that must never be broken, consent is given and they marry. However, there are those who say that it is risky to have relationships with those of the Otherworld. This point of view is indeed seen in many Welsh fairy or folk tales concerning humans who come into contact or even marry someone from the Otherworld. Presented here is one such tale, called The Bride of the Red Lake.

THE BRIDE FROM THE RED LAKE

There was once a farmer who one day decided he would go fishing in the Red Lake. When he arrived, he found the lake shrouded in mist. Then a sudden gust of wind cleared a path through the mist across the lake, and to the farmer’s surprise, revealed a man perched upon a ladder busily at work thatching a haystack. Stranger still, the ladder appeared to be standing on top of the surface of the water, as did the haystack. The farmer was astounded, but the vision quickly faded, and soon all that could be seen was a gentle rippling of the water where the haystack and the thatcher had been.

After this, the farmer often visited the lake hoping for another glimpse of this strange Otherworld, but saw nothing out of the ordinary and he thought no more of his extraordinary vision. Then one Autumn day, he rode his horse up to the lake. As it was a hot day, he rode his horse into the water so that it could drink easily from the cool lake. It was a lovely day, and while the horse was drinking, the farmer sat on its back and stared lazily at the ripples that moved gently across the surface of the Red Lake.

Then what he saw next made him jump. Under the surface of the water a little distance from him, he saw the face of the loveliest maiden he had ever seen in his life looking at him through the gently rippling water. He sat spellbound staring at her and she calmly gazed back at him. As he stared, her head and shoulders slowly emerged from the water, and she looked deep into his eyes.

VISION OF LOVELINESS

Jumping from his horse into the water, he splashed his way towards the maiden, but the vision vanished and quickly reappeared in another part of the lake. The farmer rushed over to it, but the vision disappeared just as he was in touching distance, and again reappeared in another part of the lake. This happened again and again, and the farmer eventually became exhausted and disheartened and rode sadly home, but he could not get the vision of loveliness out of his mind.

Early in the morning the very next day, the farmer went back to the lake, and sat on the water’s edge staring at the gently rippling water desperately hoping to see the lovely maiden again. He spent all morning staring at the water hoping she would appear, but to no avail.

The farmer did not get a single glimpse of the maiden, and he grew bored and frustrated and a little hungry. He had brought with him a bag of his favourite apples, which had been given to him by a neighbour and were sweet and juicy with a wonderful flavour . To relieve his hunger and to ease his boredom, he pulled one from the bag and bit into it. The apple was delicious and as he munched away, the maiden suddenly appeared in all her radiant loveliness and begged him to throw her one of his apples. The farmer was greatly surprised but kept his wits and said, “Well now, if you want one my apples you must come and fetch it yourself!” Taking one from the bag, he held it out to her, temptingly showing her the beautiful, shiny, red side, and then its luscious green side.

She looked at the apple unsure, but moved a little closer. “Here it is if you want it!” said the farmer, holding the apple up for her to see. The maiden moved tentatively closer and closer. He held it out for her to see, and she moved nearer and reached out and took it in her hand. The farmer quickly grasped her wrist with his other hand, and she screamed at the top of her voice. At this the lake suddenly became a mass of ripples, and an old man with a mass of tangled hair and a long beard rose from the middle of the lake, crying, “Mortal man, what do you want of my daughter?”

“I want your daughter to be my wife!” replied the farmer, “I love her more than life!” and he cried and begged and pleaded with him. Eventually, after much begging and pleading from the farmer, the old man of the lake finally consented. However, he laid one condition that the farmer had to abide by, or the marriage arrangement would be broken.

THE MARRIAGE AGREEMENT

The old man told him that under no circumstances must the farmer ever strike his wife with clay, or the agreement would be instantly broken. The farmer was a decent man, and could not imagine himself ever striking his wife with anything, let alone clay, and readily accepted the agreement. So the farmer and the maiden of the Red Lake were married, and lived happily together in harmony and joy. They took great pleasure in each other’s company, and did everything together.

There came a day when his wife reminded her husband of the wonderful apples, and asked him if he would get her some. The farmer would happily have given her anything in his power that was his to give. He went and visited his neighbour, who gave him a bag of apples and also a sapling as a present for his wife to plant, so that she could have a ready supply of the apples that she loved.

He took the apples and the sapling back to his wife, who was overjoyed. After feasting on the apples, together they began digging a hole to plant the sapling. She held the tree while he dug the hole. “There, the hole is deep enough, come and place the sapling in it while I fill it,” he said, enthusiastically throwing the last spade of soil over his shoulder without looking. A clod of clay hit his wife square on her chest.

Although it had not hurt her, she immediately burst into tears. Crying bitterly, she told her husband, “Goodbye my love, forever goodbye!” and ran back to the Red Lake and straight into its waters, never to be seen again. The farmer spent the rest of his days in loneliness and misery, lamenting the loss of his beloved wife.

A SAD ENDING

As can be seen in this story, although the couple were very happy, the mortal man could not keep his side of the bargain and lost his wife when he broke it. It is often the case in Welsh folklore that when humans do fall in love with maidens from the Otherworld, or have dealings with its people, a sad ending is the result. Many of the lakes of Wales have legends of mortal contact with the Otherworld and the Tylwyth Teg. There are those who think that at such places, the veil that separates the earthly world and the Otherworld can sometimes be breached.
Tue 16 Oct 2018 1:52 PM by florin
romulus wrote:
Tue 16 Oct 2018 1:31 PM
She's a toughie. Focus pull with my cabbie didn't work at all: she nukes the caster while ignoring the pet. Didn't even dent her.

We need to hit her with clay? Earth pets?
Tue 16 Oct 2018 1:58 PM by romulus
Interesting! Thanks for this!

I'd be interested in grouping up and trying to tackle her. You up for leading a hunting party, Wood?
Thu 18 Oct 2018 7:44 PM by Pendalith
Im interested how she will hold up against a couple thergs
Thu 18 Oct 2018 10:22 PM by Woodspryte
Uthred wrote:
Sat 13 Oct 2018 6:30 AM

Any plans on adding loot drops to it? *wink wink nod nod* Maybe Pet Command Stat Buff Charges pretty please
After 4 kills all I got was 6-7 gold each.

Need to work on it's behavior though. It's easily manipulated in it's current state.
https://imgur.com/j24uVoK
Thu 18 Oct 2018 11:26 PM by florin
Woodspryte wrote:
Thu 18 Oct 2018 10:22 PM
Uthred wrote:

Any plans on adding loot drops to it? *wink wink nod nod* Maybe Pet Command Stat Buff Charges pretty please

Need to work on it's behavior though. It's easily manipulated in it's current state.

You respec to sight and interrupt / tether kite her?
Thu 18 Oct 2018 11:37 PM by Woodspryte
florin wrote:
Thu 18 Oct 2018 11:26 PM
Woodspryte wrote:
Uthred wrote:

Yeah i was my RvR spec when I killed it. You can tank her pretty well until low on mana then kite away and force her to chase and refill on power. Currently she really bugs out though when you force her to kite and she will reset if she starts a cast and you run out of range (she has HUGE cast range). She can be done solo without bugging her its just a little more tactical.
Fri 19 Oct 2018 1:57 AM by florin
Woodspryte wrote:
Thu 18 Oct 2018 11:37 PM
florin wrote:
Thu 18 Oct 2018 11:26 PM
Woodspryte wrote:

Yeah i was my RvR spec when I killed it. You can tank her pretty well until low on mana then kite away and force her to chase and refill on power. Currently she really bugs out though when you force her to kite and she will reset if she starts a cast and you run out of range (she has HUGE cast range). She can be done solo without bugging her its just a little more tactical.

ya - the heavy servant spec didn't work well for her, low life tap and low shield damage. Will try the jack'o'all trades spec. next.

Cheers
Fri 19 Oct 2018 5:30 AM by Uthred
Woodspryte wrote:
Uthred wrote:

It is still wip, which is a little delayed because of the upcoming i50.
Fri 19 Oct 2018 2:16 PM by florin
Uthred wrote:
Fri 19 Oct 2018 5:30 AM
Woodspryte wrote:
Uthred wrote:

It is still wip, which is a little delayed because of the upcoming i50.

Happy to hear the team is so receptive to feedback on epic mobs and high end PVE. Any hint on what the plan is for mids/hibs? Might use i50 to explore and test the RA's for PVE.
Fri 19 Oct 2018 3:53 PM by Uthred
The reason behind this is the following:

We will put feathers on some bosses in Llyn Bafog, Raumarik and Cursed Forest. Alb didnt have enough high level bosses, so we will invent two mobs in alb. One is the Bride of the Red Lake, the other one im not sure if it is already in. But as you have already mentioned, they only drop coins atm and no feathers. Also we are still working on their special abilities.

We will let you know, when the work on them is finished.

Sorry, i hope i didnt destroy any dreams, but thats the naked truth.
Fri 19 Oct 2018 4:57 PM by florin
Uthred wrote:
Fri 19 Oct 2018 3:53 PM

We will put feathers on some bosses in Llyn Bafog, Raumarik and Cursed Forest. Alb didnt have enough high level bosses, so we will invent two mobs in alb. One is the Bride of the Red Lake, the other one im not sure if it is already in. But as you have already mentioned, they only drop coins atm and no feathers. Also we are still working on their special abilities.

Nope no dreams destroyed - great to see the vision and reasoning behind the new additions.

Thank you
Fri 19 Oct 2018 9:07 PM by Woodspryte
Uthred wrote:
Fri 19 Oct 2018 3:53 PM

Is the plan for the new mobs to only drop coins and feathers or is there any chance we will see items added as well?
Fri 19 Oct 2018 9:33 PM by gruenesschaf
Since the itemization is in a somewhat weird spot (rogs have a chance to be very good, few known good items, lots of garbage items), I'd be surprised if the new mobs get super useful items.
Sat 20 Oct 2018 2:45 AM by florin
gruenesschaf wrote:
Fri 19 Oct 2018 9:33 PM
Since the itemization is in a somewhat weird spot (rogs have a chance to be very good, few known good items, lots of garbage items), I'd be surprised if the new mobs get super useful items.

I would be ok with chance for very good rogs rather than 93% qual garbage.
Wed 24 Oct 2018 2:00 AM by Scout123
Not to hijack the thread, but curious if other custom mobs have been added to mid and hib. Has anyone reported these?
Wed 24 Oct 2018 5:25 AM by Uthred
Nope, only alb got 2 new mobs to make the amount of feather dropping mobs in these zones equal between all realms.
Wed 24 Oct 2018 8:16 AM by Vivien
Uthred wrote:
Wed 24 Oct 2018 5:25 AM
Nope, only alb got 2 new mobs to make the amount of feather dropping mobs in these zones equal between all realms.

Not entirely true To Uthreds defense, he couldn't know as I am working on those mobs

In total there will be 7 mobs per zone - LLyn, Rauma and CF - some new, some existing ones upgraded

This weekend, I am going to finish them and will post the new mobs (and existing upgraded ones)
Fri 2 Nov 2018 5:57 PM by florin
Vivien wrote:
Wed 24 Oct 2018 8:16 AM
Uthred wrote:
Wed 24 Oct 2018 5:25 AM

Not entirely true To Uthreds defense, he couldn't know as I am working on those mobs

In total there will be 7 mobs per zone - LLyn, Rauma and CF - some new, some existing ones upgraded

This weekend, I am going to finish them and will post the new mobs (and existing upgraded ones)

Hi - are we there yet?
Sun 18 Nov 2018 11:24 AM by Vivien
Very close will post an update later tomorrow
Thu 22 Nov 2018 5:12 AM by Vivien
I have to apologize for the delay, but RL happens.

Below you will find a list of all mobs in all 3 Realms dropping feathers.
Some of them used to be Epic Quest mobs, but as we don't have them, we have re-build those and found a new use

Each Realm has 7 Mobs:

Llyn Barfog

Fester
King of the Barfog Hills
Legendary Afanc
Mouth
Teazanodwc
Wrath of Mordred
Bride of the red lake

Cursed Forest

Wyvernic Wraith
Flame
Juggernaut
Orey-eyed Oghamist
Skeaghshee
Uafas Capall
Warrior Cushalainn

Raumarik

Hugi
Hagall the Red Dagger
Raumarik Revenant
Red Hagen
Wretch of Winter
Gudbrand
Svanhild
Thu 29 Nov 2018 1:34 PM by Jabstar
is it supposed to be a guarantee or chance to drop feathers? i killed Gudbrand and got coin for it. Took me a while
acutally no coin, just xp

and he's an Animal according to the kill tasks
Thu 29 Nov 2018 2:59 PM by florin
Thank you - any word on some of the changes regarding their behavior? or are we to find out ourselves?
Thu 29 Nov 2018 3:24 PM by Uthred
Just read my latest post and join the fun: ---> https://forum.playphoenix.online/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=3013&start=30
Thu 29 Nov 2018 5:10 PM by florin
Uthred wrote:
Thu 29 Nov 2018 3:24 PM
Just read my latest post and join the fun: ---> https://forum.playphoenix.online/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=3013&start=30

Can you record? Work gets in the way.
This topic is locked and you can't reply.

Return to PvE or the latest topics