RM or SM?

Started 18 Jul 2018
by Thonlo
in Midgard
I just can't decide which to be. I've been back and forth a dozen times. I'm looking for some advice.

On the one hand, being a suppression SM is fun -- but they're a one-trick show. They don't have a lot going for them other than the PBAE. Don't get me wrong -- that's really fun. Fun enough that I can't shake the thought of rolling one.

On the other hand, RMs look like fun too. I was thinking I would spec darkness until 20 or so and then respec suppression. Damage/snares, nearsight, and PBT looks like fun. Staying darkness wouldn't be bad though. Big nukes, debuffs, and the damage add are all cool.

Thus, I guess I'm wondering:

Is a supp RM more or less wanted than a darkness RM? Is a PvE or PvP group going to be disappointed with one or the other?

Between RM and SM which one is typically less played? Perhaps someone from Mid on Uthgard knows which was in higher demand?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts. I'm really torn and appreciate whatever advice I can get.
Wed 18 Jul 2018 3:53 PM by heardstheword
Just from the fact that PBAOE SM's are really nice for PvE, I'd say RM's are definitely less popular than SM.

Since it's beta and chars will get wiped, you might as well might one of each and see which you gravitate towards.
Wed 18 Jul 2018 5:58 PM by Kralin
Runemaster does have more tricks at their disposal and the different spell lines provide a lot of utility. In RvR, the RM is a nice addition for an 8th spot with the nearsight and PBT. The Runecarving spec is great at keep defense but not that desirable in 8v8 or in PvE. Darkness is the best spec for consistent damage but doesn't have much utility. Suppression spec is probably the most desired in PvE due to the PBT.

The SM really is just good at two things: PBAE and focus pulling. Yes you could go Darkness SM for single target damage, but you probably would be happier with the RM class instead if ranged damage was your goal. I didn't mention debuffs because if you want to do that you probably are part of a group with Darkness SMs and RMs.
Sat 21 Jul 2018 9:26 AM by Numatic
Thonlo wrote:
Wed 18 Jul 2018 3:38 PM
I just can't decide which to be. I've been back and forth a dozen times. I'm looking for some advice.

On the one hand, being a suppression SM is fun -- but they're a one-trick show. They don't have a lot going for them other than the PBAE. Don't get me wrong -- that's really fun. Fun enough that I can't shake the thought of rolling one.

On the other hand, RMs look like fun too. I was thinking I would spec darkness until 20 or so and then respec suppression. Damage/snares, nearsight, and PBT looks like fun. Staying darkness wouldn't be bad though. Big nukes, debuffs, and the damage add are all cool.

Thus, I guess I'm wondering:

Is a supp RM more or less wanted than a darkness RM? Is a PvE or PvP group going to be disappointed with one or the other?

Between RM and SM which one is typically less played? Perhaps someone from Mid on Uthgard knows which was in higher demand?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts. I'm really torn and appreciate whatever advice I can get.

Well don't worry too much on spec but rather the class because you can respec whenever you want right now. But basically RM has better pvp ability than SM when it comes to grouping. Each one of their lines can add something to a PvP group where as SM can be very situational. Even a PvE PbAoE grp likes a supp runie for the PBT. I find SM to be a bit more limited and mostly a PvE focused toon. That's not to say they don't have PBAoE 8 mans, just a lot more limited.
Sat 28 Jul 2018 1:11 PM by IpkonfigCMD
Kralin wrote:
Wed 18 Jul 2018 5:58 PM
Runemaster does have more tricks at their disposal and the different spell lines provide a lot of utility. In RvR, the RM is a nice addition for an 8th spot with the nearsight and PBT. The Runecarving spec is great at keep defense but not that desirable in 8v8 or in PvE. Darkness is the best spec for consistent damage but doesn't have much utility. Suppression spec is probably the most desired in PvE due to the PBT.

The SM really is just good at two things: PBAE and focus pulling. Yes you could go Darkness SM for single target damage, but you probably would be happier with the RM class instead if ranged damage was your goal. I didn't mention debuffs because if you want to do that you probably are part of a group with Darkness SMs and RMs.

Darkness RM brings the highest damage add Midgard has. Shaman's highest damage add is 4 DPS, highest RM 11 DPS! Midgard is all about that melee train so that's a huge boon!
Tue 21 Aug 2018 10:14 AM by Invyz1
heardstheword wrote:
Wed 18 Jul 2018 3:53 PM
Just from the fact that PBAOE SM's are really nice for PvE, I'd say RM's are definitely less popular than SM.

Since it's beta and chars will get wiped, you might as well might one of each and see which you gravitate towards.

server is getting wiped?
Tue 21 Aug 2018 11:01 AM by Joc
Of course. Its beta.
Tue 21 Aug 2018 11:19 AM by Invyz1
can you elaborate a bit?

kind of discourages getting 50 and templated no?
Tue 21 Aug 2018 11:25 AM by heardstheword
Not sure how to elaborate on it. I feel like most (all?) games that have an open beta wipe the servers clean when they officially launch to give no one an unfair advantage.

It's beta. They don't want to let people get a head start over others that are waiting. I would hate to start day 1 knowing a few hundred people are already RR7+ and fully templated.

It's intended. And they plan to do an instant-50 phase, which will level you to 50 and provide gear for you. They just started the instant-30 phase this past weekend.
Tue 21 Aug 2018 11:31 AM by Invyz1
I guess by elaborate,

I meant - any idea when the beta ends,

any idea when the launch happens?

is it worth just waiting for the launch instead of leveling / crafting etc?
Tue 21 Aug 2018 11:59 AM by heardstheword
No time table.

We can't answer whether it's worth it for you, bud. That's your subjective decision.

Plenty of people are waiting for launch. Plenty of people are playing and enjoying it now, testing out different classes and builds.

Someone people are a "journey, not the destination" type of personality.
Tue 21 Aug 2018 1:40 PM by Invyz1
yeah, without getting too philosophical I think it's worth stating its probably not worth creating crafters etc,

I'll continue to test that chars til then i guess though,

thanks for the info.
This topic is locked and you can't reply.

Return to Midgard or the latest topics