Fresh 50 Animist spec uncertainty

Started 28 Dec 2020
by Culloden
in Hibernia
Hi all,

I'd be grateful for any advice on taking my fresh 50 animist forwards. This is my first 50 in DAOC ever, and I'd like to both RvR and PvE with the same character if that's feasible.

My uncertainty arises from what spec I should be in the short term.

I think I need to do the following to progress my character:
a) Get the BP as part of a template - this requires attending / contributing to Galla raids? From the guides I've read on these raids it seems that animists would be expected to be verdant?
b) Acquire ROGs for the rest of my template - this seems to be best done through PvE groups like Fins - again suspect verdant animists almost mandatory for this?
c) Farm up cash - often I have been doing this solo due to IRL commitments - arb or creep seems to work well here - verdant not nearly so effecient solo
d) Acquire RAs like MCL and serentiy to help with the above - it seems arb > creep > verdant for RvR?

I've ready many threads and I note there is a split spec that is achievable with a higher RR and with a template, but I'm really looking for a steer for a fresh 50 if possible. My conclusion so far is that I really need to chose between a) group PvE b) solo PvE or c) RvR because there is no spec that is effective for a low RR animist for all three?
Mon 28 Dec 2020 1:15 PM by Aprox
Animists can do well in pvp with a arbor-spec, which gives u the tanglers (shrooms that root) and the Spec DDs (and some other utility).
In PVE-Groups they are usually skilled verdant, for the shroom-based ae dmg and taunt of multiple targets.
Solo PVE-Spec would be full creep for cheaper dd-shrooms.
My advice for overall-progression would be to spec first inot arbor for the highest ae-DD. With that u go into the zerg and leech rp (doesnt matter if u are temped or not, just spam the ae-dmg into the enemy zerg). Once u have reached 3l2 (1 good evening) u spent ur rp into serenety 3 and mcl 2 (some argue taht mcl 3 is better). That gives u all the mana u need for effective farming.
a) creep spec for solo farming.
b) verdant spec for groups.
Whatever u prefer. If u dont have enough crafting-skill for salvaging, grouping might be better. If u can salvage i would advice solo farming (3-4p per hour are possible with solo animist). Once u have everything farmed, go back to arbor-spec for pvp and enjoy fighting.

Doing pvp and rvr both is possible with slightly higher RR and some rp spent into mana regeneration. I dont know a spec for low rr, which is viable for solo/group pve and rvr. Except for zerging. Doesent really matter what u play in the zerg.

U can go fin-spot with verdant and mcl 2, skipping leeching rp in the zerg. Caster temps are cheap:
Galla vest 4p, maybe 4.5p
5 pcs. 99% quali ~ 500 g or less
5 pcs. SC 1,25 p
Necklase: SI-quest.
Other Rogs together less than 1p.
Procs can come later.
7 p should be done in like 4 hour in the fin-spot (not sure, i dont go there often).

U dont need a certain spec or a temp for Galla/Dragon/Legion raids. Not unless u are in the main group, which rarely happens to newcomers.

Later, when u want to play other chars, it is a good idea to lvl up and temp a chanter or eld, get the caster to rr 4l3, get mcl 2, wp5 mom 5 and do regular DS-runs. That, together with a temped animist, will enable u to farm fast and template all chars in reasonable time.
Mon 28 Dec 2020 1:51 PM by Culloden
That's very helpful and I'm very grateful. Thank you.

I have levelled up my crafting so I have 1100 in sub skills for salvaging. So I think I'll go with your plan to use arb to surf the zerg for RAs and then solo farm.
Thu 31 Dec 2020 1:51 AM by Kohi
Aprox already explained a lot so i won't enter in further details. Have 3 anis (each 50, each spec line). As writen above, Arboral is the way if you intend to active rvr, allowing you to cast the famous grolls and ae grolls which are lethal combined with dmg/debuff. I used to run such a spec on my live ani back in the days and loved it. Now, regarding the 2 other lines, which are more pve oriented for some, i'd say verdant is the beloved grp ani (oriented support+tank pet for farming/raid) while creeping is the solo farmer ani with debuffs and a more efficient/dmg shroom line (more dmg from your hearts). For my part, i love playing my creeping ani over the 2 others, even if arb has its joys too with the dmg u can deal by casting. As we are on Phoenix, have unlimited space for chars and fast xping, why not making several anis ? ;-)

Regarding rogs, u don't need much high ones for casters imho (i get away fullcapped by all casters with mostly 50+ & 60+ utility rogs) so fins, warshades/knights etc should do just fine. Also try to get the banished quest for Olcasgean/Dragon done, brings you 2 nice high utility jewelery pieces. If you farm solo/duo/trio/grp is your choice, all doable whatever ur specc.
Regarding cash farming, if you have to do solo often due to irl, think about easy mobs dropping good, nicely grped and having fast respawn in a wide space (you don't want adds while you reg). Nice spot to do that would be for example the siabra camps in the moor.
Regarding RAs > mana reg, i have a different opinion as Aprox, but it doesn't mean he's wrong. I can only say that for my own playstyle, i'm perfectly fine with MCL2/Serenity2, which allows me to have cap amount of shrooms and let me some mana to pull/cast a bit. I'd burn MCL after reaching ~69% (brings me up again to ~94% iirc).
Regarding your last question, you probably meant the 37 Creeping/39 Verdant spec, which is more of an allround multitask farm spec (all yellows both lines) for solo farming. You can have a look here :https://forum.playphoenix.online/realm/hibernia/10606-animist-solo-farming-full-creep-vs-split-spec or google it for more informations. I'm honestly not a fan of this spec, especially on Phoenix where you don't have chars limitations and level so fast (even more as an animist !).
This topic is locked and you can't reply.

Return to Hibernia or the latest topics