Reaver Or Merc

Started 30 Aug 2018
by Algarakai
in Albion
I m just asking myself..
Which of these character is the most reliable in rvr, the most grouped, ect…
Reaver has , at the moment, the best DPS in the game , (slam+levia=>a pile of dead enemies) but he seems that he s not the most wanted in rvr group (bad use of aura, mezz breaking, ect..)
At the other point, Merc got a valuable dps , get Charge Ability at 40 (quite valuable against mezzers) but no range dps for interrupting
What do ya think about it?
Thu 30 Aug 2018 8:01 AM by Kaziera
Ppl just have not figured out how strong reaver is with det. They will though.

Do we have here ORA or NRA charge?

Other than that, pretty, much what you said.
Thu 30 Aug 2018 10:06 AM by Kampfar
Old ra
Thu 30 Aug 2018 10:17 AM by Kaziera
Then its crap. dont get charge.
Thu 30 Aug 2018 10:28 AM by Algarakai
Charge is not a realm abilities..but a class abilities
At least, it s sells like that
Thu 30 Aug 2018 10:32 AM by Kaziera
Afaik its a light tank specific ra. Might be wrong though.
Thu 30 Aug 2018 10:45 AM by Ceen
It's free sprint for some seconds.
Thu 30 Aug 2018 1:22 PM by Frigzy
You get it for free at level 40.

The only benefit the Merc has is his better sustained damage (outside of slam) and higher Det.
Thu 30 Aug 2018 6:06 PM by Magesty
This is actually the question I’m asking myself for my visible main once the server goes live.

As a small man/solo player I think the answer is ultimately going to end up being Reaver. The interrupts are too good to pass up and outweigh, in my opinion, stoicism and anytime damage. Plus the PBAE pulses are very useful for unearthing stealthers and debuffing enemies. It is frustrating having most of your dps be reliant on a positional, but it will likely end up being a fair trade off. As a bonus It’s nice to be able to get a cool unique realm ability. The style realm abilities are trash and I’m pretty sure aren’t going to be fixed.

If you want to 8v8 I think Mercenary is still the clear choice. Their anytime damage is amazing. They have solid positionals and free stoicism is OP OP for 8v8. Most melee groups are probably going to slot 2-3 mercs. They can spec slam and easily swap to DW with a hot key. Perhaps some adventurous souls (unlikely) will run a group with Reavers with success and the meta will shift, but as it stands now they are second class citizens.

Charge here is really quite terrible and barely worth even using considering how powerful endurance pots are. It’s free though and I’ve had it come in handy a few times. As others have said it is just a short buff that allows you to sprint for no endurance cost.

I’m still torn on what to play because both of these classes are so compelling. I’d advise rolling both during i50 and using your experience during that time to decide.
Fri 31 Aug 2018 8:09 AM by Algarakai
I think you re right
i wait the I50 too choose , nothing better than testing the class in game
Fri 31 Aug 2018 12:33 PM by MacPrior
Merc is always the better choice.
Fri 31 Aug 2018 2:51 PM by Geek
I've played both. Always liked Merc until I tried Reaver. Reaver is what I'd pick based not only on the dmg but also the fun styles and tools he gets.
Fri 31 Aug 2018 3:49 PM by Kha
First even without deter, it's strong : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QiVP_DRQ2pI

- Hybride or caster group : Reaver could do, slam + range rupts, it can do just fine. (1reaver could do)
- Tank group : you'll want atealst one merc to break BTs continuously, still you may want a reaver aswell insane dps in the tank assist + range rupts. (you want 1 reaver but you have to have 1 merc)

There are no ML to rupts on tanks here, (at least so far ... i see later patches modifications entering the RvR balance lately, even TOA nerfs/up ....)
On alb the only tank with some rupts is reaver, and his dps is very good when he have a shot at leviathan.
Just an opinion though.
Sun 9 Sep 2018 3:36 PM by Hedien
What about -1x% melee absorb on targets ? Isn't it a huge boost on melee trains ?
Mon 10 Sep 2018 9:11 AM by Druth
A known good reaver will get groups.
An unknown reaver will struggle to get groups.

A known good merc will get groups.
An unknown merc will get groups.

Not that reavers are bad, but because a bad reaver will f... up more than a bad merc (pulse breaking CC etc...).
Mon 10 Sep 2018 1:02 PM by Seigmoraig
Is it only the damage pulse that breaks mezz ? or does the debuff pulse also break ?
Mon 10 Sep 2018 5:50 PM by Turtle006
In PvE the debuffs break Mezz, I assume RvR would be the same.
Mon 10 Sep 2018 6:00 PM by Cadebrennus
You guys are forgetting one thing when it comes to breaking up PBT. A Merc or BM will never be as effective as a Zerk when it comes to breaking PBT up. At max RR and max spec with max template the Merc/BM still only has a 72% max offhand swing chance compared to Seekers 100% offhand swing chance. On top of that to break PBT effectively the Merc has to use a fast MH weapon to swing at or near cap speed sacrificing per-hit damage. These factors should be considered when factoring in tank/hybrid choices in a set up
Mon 10 Sep 2018 6:27 PM by Kakuzui
The dmg pulse and the dmg debuff pulse both break mezz / cc. The abs debuff pulse doesn't break mezz / cc.
This is for pve and PvP too.
This topic is locked and you can't reply.

Return to Albion or the latest topics