First feedback about Merc

Started 23 Jul 2018
by Ragnar
in Albion
Hi i open this post for giving first feedback about how Merc are doing here, what race / spec people who have tested one recommand etc ? 🤗
Mon 23 Jul 2018 8:11 AM by MacPrior
What would you expect to read here about Merc? Its very solid class, one of the most wanted dps in Albion for PvE and for RvR. Highest weapon factor in the game - only the warrior is higher, but as dual wield you halves his shield ability.

I would choose a Half Ogre as Merc - due to highest str. you will have the highest weapon ability wich is most important thing for a melee.

Best choice of weapon - slash: strk based, highest WA, highest defence penetrating, highest damage, best 1H styles in the game with very high to-hit bonus, side snare, main dmg dealer of mid - bersis and savages are vulnerable against slash.

Crash still very valuable weapon art. Marc has there no AT, so, a bit less training points, but low endu usage and anytime chain with 5 sec stun. Thus you don't really need to skill slam to switch for stun in a fight. And you still have a side snare in dual wield line. All Mids are neutral to crush.

Some one would skill the thrust - don't see the reason why actually . Best choice there still half ogre or saracen. But you will have less weapon ability wich is most important for a offensive melee.

Starting points I would invest
in str - more damage, more weapon ability, more defence penetration and
in quickness - more defence penetration, more procs, more effects.
Your choice - 15/10 or 10/15.

Possible skills:
50 /50 Crush/DW, 28 Parry
50 /50 Slash(Thrust?)/DW, 31 Parry
50 DW, 42 Shield, 39 Slash or Thrust, 13 Parry

For my opinion 50 weapon and DW are must have for an offensive melee. So, the crush would offers the most wide range of abilities, But the slash skill gives you access to one of the most powerful chaint in the game: 29-50 with very high to hit, very high damage.
Mon 23 Jul 2018 8:47 AM by Ragnar
Thx a lot for your answer it will help me a lot 👌
Mon 23 Jul 2018 4:13 PM by Tydowen
MacPrior wrote:
Mon 23 Jul 2018 8:11 AM
Best choice of weapon - slash: strk based, highest WA, highest defence penetrating, highest damage, best 1H styles in the game with very high to-hit bonus, side snare, main dmg dealer of mid - bersis and savages are vulnerable against slash.

Crash still very valuable weapon art. Marc has there no AT, so, a bit less training points, but low endu usage and anytime chain with 5 sec stun. Thus you don't really need to skill slam to switch for stun in a fight. And you still have a side snare in dual wield line. All Mids are neutral to crush.

Possible skills:
50 /50 Crush/DW, 28 Parry
50 /50 Slash(Thrust?)/DW, 31 Parry
50 DW, 42 Shield, 39 Slash or Thrust, 13 Parry

For my opinion 50 weapon and DW are must have for an offensive melee. So, the crush would offers the most wide range of abilities, But the slash skill gives you access to one of the most powerful chaint in the game: 29-50 with very high to hit, very high damage.

I am agree for most of this, just some points, I might get an other opinion, (unless I miss something) :

- I don't see where is the chain anytime with 5sec stun, only way to do realistic stun in 8vs8 setup is slam. In this situation, unless you assist someone which can slam I would probably not go for 50 slash/crush. Also in this situation I would probably use only DW styles, if it's correctly implanted with your 39+11 1h you should not have much variances.
- The 1h side snare is bit useless because you already have "Flank" in dual wield which is a better style and it opens on "Shadow Rain".
- From the GR informations (damage), the chain slash 29 + 50 < chain "Flank" + "Shadoow Rain". In case the target is moving it can be interesting though. For the moment, I am still not convince that this is worth sacrifing slam.

Just some e.g. situations in rvr, look like paper daoc but it happened so many times... :
1) You are in front line alone (teamates get cc) and you get surrounded by casters, you would like slam each of them to rupt/not get assist -> you temporize and avoid death.
2) You assist your MA then guard bot is coming, you land a slam on him and can assist back on your MA -> kill your target.
3) You want save the ass of one of your caster (your guard bot is away or cc etc) you and him will appreciate having slam.

- To reply to the topic I would say same thing that previously : IMO, Mercenary is the best offensive tank on alb, you can easily have 2 in a group. He gets over the others tanks options once he can purchase PF. In offensive perspective I prefer merc than arms for PF and less linear damage/better swing speed.
- Also I prefer merc than reaver, even if less damage (leviathan >...), he gets stoicism and better control. About reavern, It will mainly depend on who you are fighting, if it's average / bad group reaver > all coz if you dont control them or know how to strafe/give your back, you go to a certain death.

All the tanks have their utility anyway. (except pala atm, )

Go for merc is a safe choice.
Tue 24 Jul 2018 7:45 AM by Algarakai
On Uthgard, a friend of mine play a saracen merc,
44 thrust, 44 parry and 44 DW,
His toon was a killing machines against mid
It should be the same on this server
This topic is locked and you can't reply.

Return to Albion or the latest topics