Level Playing Field suggestion - start at level 10; level 1 sucks

Started 11 May 2021
by NeoMatrix
in Suggestions
EOM.... Playing from level 1 is painful.... and super unexciting... there is nothing fun about just auto attack spamming folks... auto level people to 10 the first time they enter the zone and get things rolling right away! This also reduces the overall instance count by 2!... removing the two lamest instances from the list... making it more likely to play with others! (especially since you blow through those first 2 so fast.... this would make the lowest tier instance one where people still around a tad bit longer making it more likely for late comers to climb up through the instances)
Tue 11 May 2021 7:54 PM by gotwqqd
NeoMatrix wrote:
Tue 11 May 2021 7:15 PM
EOM.... Playing from level 1 is painful.... and super unexciting... there is nothing fun about just auto attack spamming folks... auto level people to 10 the first time they enter the zone and get things rolling right away! This also reduces the overall instance count by 2!... removing the two lamest instances from the list... making it more likely to play with others! (especially since you blow through those first 2 so fast.... this would make the lowest tier instance one where people still around a tad bit longer making it more likely for late comers to climb up through the instances)
Yea it’s a rough 6 minutes
Tue 11 May 2021 10:17 PM by ExcretusMaximus
Why stop at 10?

Autolevel to 50 and RR5 just by logging into the event zone.

And add 500% RP to RR10 as long as you stay in the zone.

And make the event every other day, with no removal of characters.

Shit, just remove New Frontiers all together, turn the entire game into one big Lamfhota's Sound zerg fest!
Wed 12 May 2021 12:55 AM by easytoremember
The only real shortcoming of the event is the dependency upon having at least ~8 people in the bracket for anything to happen. Grouping tends to fill groups one by one so in the case of 6 or 7 players you see 5v1/2 and the solo or duo quickly gives up for obvious reasons. The first brackets are difficult to keep filled due to how fleeting they are yet increasing the lv ranges makes things very painful on the fighting end.

Then there is usually a high lv group vs a low lv group where the high was left behind after their opponents leveled out and the low has just entered, so red vs green ensues with the outcome as expected. The population distribution only really becomes a problem on the 3rd day onward from what I've played- but prevents you from participating if you do not already have a ~36 by that point. The ensueing fights from brackets with <10 players are starkly different from the overall event's chaos.

For lv1 in particular it is starting naked that makes it painful. The first 3 loots you take drastically make your character stronger.
Wed 12 May 2021 2:01 AM by NeoMatrix
ExcretusMaximus wrote:
Tue 11 May 2021 10:17 PM
Why stop at 10?

Autolevel to 50 and RR5 just by logging into the event zone.

And add 500% RP to RR10 as long as you stay in the zone.

And make the event every other day, with no removal of characters.

Shit, just remove New Frontiers all together, turn the entire game into one big Lamfhota's Sound zerg fest!

You missed a few sharks with that leap, keep going!
Wed 12 May 2021 2:04 AM by NeoMatrix
easytoremember wrote:
Wed 12 May 2021 12:55 AM
The only real shortcoming of the event is the dependency upon having at least ~8 people in the bracket for anything to happen. Grouping tends to fill groups one by one so in the case of 6 or 7 players you see 5v1/2 and the solo or duo quickly gives up for obvious reasons. The first brackets are difficult to keep filled due to how fleeting they are yet increasing the lv ranges makes things very painful on the fighting end.

Then there is usually a high lv group vs a low lv group where the high was left behind after their opponents leveled out and the low has just entered, so red vs green ensues with the outcome as expected. The population distribution only really becomes a problem on the 3rd day onward from what I've played- but prevents you from participating if you do not already have a ~36 by that point. The ensueing fights from brackets with <10 players are starkly different from the overall event's chaos.

For lv1 in particular it is starting naked that makes it painful. The first 3 loots you take drastically make your character stronger.

Pretty much this more or less. It is also the case that if you think about time spent in this bracket... it is super super super small... but it is a required bracket to move up through in order to reach the next one etc...

The result can end up being that there are very few players present because players move through it so quickly, and then you are stuck a bit... maybe auto group isn't favoring you etc... granted.. this is only something that affects certain hours... but if anyone thinks level 1-4 is exciting or fun... I mean... come on? hah.

5-9 is 'fine'; but its also super quick... starting at 10 with 11 kills per level things start to slow down a bit where players are present for a bit longer and things are just more enjoyable overall.

Its up to the folks working on the backend here really, but.... the level 1-9 experience is pretty in RvR... in PvE it is mildly tolerable.... mainly because what you have access to doesn't really matter that much. In RvR it is like a slap fest you are just crossing your fingers to get through to the 'fun zone'.
Wed 12 May 2021 5:48 AM by gotwqqd
I’d rather start at level 1 and have all the gear obtained for level 10.
Starting level 10 no gear.....no thanks
Wed 12 May 2021 9:13 AM by Irkeno
Running around at level 1 and being terrified of a red con level 3 is hilarious, just enjoy the game. It’s nonsense for 5 mins, just laugh it off and youll level eventually.

No wonder people never leave their keeps/use Sos to run back to keeps/vanish to avoid dying/ip to run back to keeps. If you’re all that afraid to die. Jesus.

Friendly reminder: It is a game, and you can find fun in even those nonsense situations. When an unkillable orangecon theurgist pet is running at you at level 1 just run around like spongebob and laugh for gods sake....
Wed 12 May 2021 12:14 PM by Takii
1-4 is at most 10 minutes of your time. Yes it can suck if you get unlucky and nobody you hit dies because theyre red con, but its going to suck for at most 10 minutes, and most of the time 1-10 is complete and hilarious chaos.
Wed 12 May 2021 1:31 PM by Sepplord
Irkeno wrote:
Wed 12 May 2021 9:13 AM
Running around at level 1 and being terrified of a red con level 3 is hilarious, just enjoy the game. It’s nonsense for 5 mins, just laugh it off and youll level eventually.

No wonder people never leave their keeps/use Sos to run back to keeps/vanish to avoid dying/ip to run back to keeps. If you’re all that afraid to die. Jesus.

Friendly reminder: It is a game, and you can find fun in even those nonsense situations. When an unkillable orangecon theurgist pet is running at you at level 1 just run around like spongebob and laugh for gods sake....

The fear of dying or like many call it "donating" is so big in this game...a ton of people would rather run circles in the warcamp for hours before risking to die in a fight they didn't want. Sadly that's the mentality of most people.
I mean i get that simply running into all and every inc isn't a smart move...but it is really extreme in this game from my POV.
Heck, last saturday i was running a trio in the frontiers, and there was bascially nothing to fight...and we meet another trio and they preferred to run away, across a whole zone and then suicide into guards instead of fighting us. what the actual fuck...what were they looking for? The frontier was deserted, there was basically nothing out and running and we were same sized groups. Even if they knew us and thought they would lose, they would have had a fight, might have cost us RAs and they would have been back, buffed and running again faster anyways
We constantly fight groups and lose, but every once in a while we kill an 8man with 5people. Or fight with a decent 8man really long. Or force instants/SOS/cooldowns etc...
Yeah, losing sucks and not killing anything sucks too...but running around in empty fields and running away from everything sucks even more imo.
I have never experienced a community so afraid of fighting than on this server (or maybe daoc in general)
Wed 12 May 2021 2:02 PM by DJ2000
This is almost funny, really.

You of all people, Sepplord, commenting in a Kafkaesque manner.

The times people complained being attacked by an assassin and forced into a fight they didn't want.
Or the times when people running small were complaining about the Bard amnesia range, that dropped their speed and forced them into a fight they didn't want.

Here you are, complaining about the fact that there were people that seemingly didn't want a fight with your side, but that still didn't stop you from hunting them throughout the whole zone.

I guess the Bard amnesia range wasn't so bad after all, hm? You would have had a fight, might have cost them RAs and you would have been back, buffed and running again faster anyways.

...to get back on topic.
No. should be obvious why and where this would lead to.
Wed 12 May 2021 2:53 PM by NeoMatrix
Wow, what a thread hijack! I just want to get friends into the game and not have them greeted with a nerd slapfight for 10-20 minutes based on pop in the first zone and have them quit...

I love playing on this server. I think a lot of the 'old guard' are comfortable with high friction things such as this.. or the high friction of navigating the path to get into the event itself (see my other thread).... but... from the outside I see pop #'s slowly trending downward... and I want to be able to keep playing here for a long time to come!

Feel free to hijack away again
Wed 12 May 2021 3:01 PM by Sepplord
what's kafkaesque about that? (but i'll take it as a compliment that you are suprised i would make a kafkaesque comment)

There is a huge difference between balancing engagement potentials, and criticising the mindset behind running away from every fight that isn't a sure win
i even adressed "not running headfirst into every engagement" it in my comment, maybe i should have spent more words on that exceprt, since you missed or misunderstood that.
And i want to repeat, running away from a sure loss is different than running away unless its a sure win. In a fight between similar groupsizes you don't know upfront that you can't win. Purge down on a key enemy, and you can win even if you usually lose, for example. Maybe its just me, and me being bad at names, but i doubt that our smallmen is "known" by everyone who runs away, considering we only run once a week. Neither do i believe that we would have clearly won every fight who ran away. IIRR in fact our healers purge was down, and against a minstrel that knows what they are doing that can get ugly fast.

I also don't think stealthers ambushing people needs to be removed or that it is an issue, i just think that being able to have that advantage over unsuspecting people is part of a classes strength, and not only their ability to fight after using that advantage

PS: "chasing" for almost a zone happens regularly too, just by running away from a high traffic area to a good spot to fight without adds. The amount of smallmen VS smallmen fights are pretty small, so IF we happen to spot an opportunity we often run a bit with them before engaging. The trio last saturday seemed like they would fight...i mean seriously...why wouldn't you fight another trio, if you are running minstrel, friar, didn't click the last one. While the lvl50 population in the whole frontier is between 30and50 per realm?
This topic is locked and you can't reply.

Return to Suggestions or the latest topics