Let’s talk Albion again. Take 4.

Started 6 Jul 2021
by omicidi
in Suggestions
Good evening!

Let’s talk about my favorite Albion realm again (one hib class will receive an honorable mention).

As a whole, there are zero glaring weaknesses in the Albion meta. The only weakness in an albion setup is the cleric, as the only utility spells that they have other than realm abilities, buff and heal is a stun and low-delve baseline nuke.

Fighting an albion group allows players to play incredibly risky with very little risk and still reap the rewards of the play.

Starting with sorc, high utility, only balanced pet the realm has. What makes it unbalanced is that it’s another dang pet.

Cabalist: cabalist is a deadly caster. What makes the cabalist over the top is their pet and ability to pet-cycle power.

Their pet buffs are in a line that will at least be specced to yellow, often it’s specced to red for the tri-debuff. The pet is damn near unkitable and any cabalist paying attention, can release the pet and recast it, and pet cycle for power if needed. The pet can stick to someone even sprinting and is a bitch to kill.

Minstrels, can someone explain to me why they’re even remotely balanced at any form of gameplay? Land an aoe mezz on the pet or mini, chances are that one will get resisted and the mini is now granted with free mezz immunity. The minstrel can play in the backfield doing minstrel things with little fear.

Minstrel red con pet interrupting MOC is another really really really dumb mechanic. How is it that moc is designed to be uninterrupted unless mezzed, stunned or amnesia’d but this damn pet can just walk over and loc a moc’d caster down?

The moc’d caster is probably a shaman or a healer moccing because of theurg pet spam.

As the minstrel increases in realm rank, things like aom, ip, the empty mind and the like make the minstrel too damn tough to kill.

The red con pet takes too many resources to kill and it’s likely to be healed. Groups started to run a third acolyte to buff this silly thing. If my daoc memory serves me well, buffs on pets increase their abs on top of their stats. Bananas

*honorable mention mentalist* the mentalist can sit all the way in the back field and should the mentalist get mezzed, all that player needs to do is hit released and the mezz is broken. Dare I say it’s more stupid than the minstrel?

Theurgs: baseline dps buff, baseline haste buff (only one in game and not even conc buffs) best in slot. Speed 7 pets, faster than players running at speed 6. So now, not only are you playing with two/three tanks and a mini, now you have to deal with a class that can play hyper safe and pump out pets at, contrary to the 12% power tool tip, 5-7% power based on EB and that stupid Phoenix only power pool trick.

Now, you finally gain control of the fight and it’s your turn to push, whelp, now you’re dealing with clearing theurg pets as you’re trying to capitalize on any momentum. Really dumb.

Friar: have you guys seen the effectiveness of the spread heal proc? I have. Mercs are 10-15% of the groups total heals. So if you’re running the meta setup, 20-30% of the groups heals are coming from two tanks that done even have power pool.

————

Suggestion:

Cabalist: nerf pet buffs. Nerf pet hp. Get rid of pet cycle.

Minstrel: make the pet charm work like the sorcs. Even without the pet the minstrel is still super duper mobile and strong.

Theurg: I have many thoughts on theurg. Decrease range. Make pets actually cost 12% power no matter what. Decrease their run speed so you have the damn ability to try to combat them. Another cool thing with earth pets would be to have them lose 3.33% life a second. After 30 seconds they just die from no hp. Increase casting time. Do something. Make the pets have 0% chance to be resist by nukes or stuns.

Friar: make that spread heal proc thing a realm ability or remove it.

Alb is obviously hyper strong when a vast majority of the listed groups are on alb. It’s toxic to play against. It’s toxic to lose a fight because of one mistake but Albion having a million get out of jail free cards. It’s toxic to aoe mezz a minstrel, him or the pet resists and then having free mezz immunity.

The answer can’t be ‘this is how it was in 2002’ not a good answer.
Tue 6 Jul 2021 10:07 PM by ExcretusMaximus
Choosing to balance around an 8v8 culture that no longer exists on this server led to the incredible imbalance that it's at right now.

Continuing to do so will only exacerbate the issues.
Tue 6 Jul 2021 11:21 PM by Kurbsen
ExcretusMaximus wrote:
Tue 6 Jul 2021 10:07 PM
Choosing to balance around an 8v8 culture that no longer exists on this server led to the incredible imbalance that it's at right now.

Continuing to do so will only exacerbate the issues.

no longer exists? lol what. there was tons of gvg action today lol..

as for the post, I agree with pretty much everything you said, but the one thing that I think needs being looked at is the heal proc. That has saved my targets lives way more than it should lol
Tue 6 Jul 2021 11:58 PM by ExcretusMaximus
Kurbsen wrote:
Tue 6 Jul 2021 11:21 PM
no longer exists? lol what. there was tons of gvg action today lol..

For what? A whopping 4 hours of EU primetime? Because outside of EU time, it doesn't exist.

I play every timezone because I rarely sleep and am a Phoenix addict.

EDIT:
And please don't embarrass yourself by claiming NA has 8v8 action; Goldcloaks, Legacy, Sparkle Motion, Gapbunsa's PUG, and Philatelists aren't 8v8 groups, they're roaming groups who hit and add on everything (which is fine). Jorm would be an 8v8 group if there were any others out there, but there aren't and so they aren't.
Wed 7 Jul 2021 1:48 AM by omicidi
Dear Grym,

I appreciate your love and vigor for the game and server. You and I both want the same thing, the server to thrive. Where we differ is the road in which we get there.

Although, I know you’ve tried doing the 8man thing for a while and now you’re some sort of 16slot thing, that’s cool. That’s the way you and your folks want to play the game. I’m basing this off of some sort of recruitment post your guild put out, so correct me if that’s off-base.

I enjoy 8v8 and I think you’re off-base with that list and you’re missing a few groups, including the one I run with. NA is decently healthy a few nights a week and even with 16 people you can have quality fights, which is infinitely better than posturing a well-organized Zerg.

Looking at the numbers, let’s say 8v8 does go away, you’re looking at a 24% hit in population, as some realms hit sub 30 people in NF last night. These groups tend to break away from the island and roam elsewhere.

So the question is, if the basis of my enjoyment comes from 8v8, and I don’t enjoy fighting the hordes of fotm alb groups, why should I play? The server’s population just doesn’t support the ‘don’t let the door hit you on the way out’ response anymore.

If you nerf alb, it’s a decent chance that those players just recycle to hib or mid which would benefit the 8v8!community.
Thu 8 Jul 2021 4:29 AM by Nephamael
I agree with most you say, but i think "adjustments" need to be soft.

-The only part where i disagree is menty. The class is the only reason for me to still try to build or join hib 8mans at all - the pet is usually green or grey, so you can 1 or 2shot it with any dps character.

-An idea i had about theurg was simply putting the earthpets resistrate to 0% and hitrate to 100% vs them, then the earthpet HP should probably be reduced by 10 to 12% and theurg will be as balanced as it gets for the class design.

I do like your idea about the ticking %HPloss over time tho. It would defnitely help mid and hib tankers.

-The Cabba pet could meet BD Mainpets HP half way and maybe the speed boost could be reduced to an ammount where a melee snare actually makes the cabba pet significantly slower than sprint speed.

-Minstrel is in good shape imo - the power level is only a bit problematic at high RR. A soft "adjustment" here could be setting the minstrel pets resistrate to lvl50, no matter what lvl the minstpet is. (would also help minstrels unCC their pet via dd easier, so not only a straight nerf)

-Sorc is super strong but also the only weakness alb has, as: if you can lock down the sorc and stop the minst from demezzing there is your 1 wincondition vs albs that usually works.

-Friar spreadheal proc is a balancing problem for tanker vs tanker, but there isn't any easy fix. You can also see it as a realm flavor. The only idea coming to my mind here is to make it an active ability with a 20s cooldown.

Tbh i think if we "adjust" earthpets we have a pretty fair 8v8 game, regardless of the other slightly imbalanced toons.
This topic is locked and you can't reply.

Return to Suggestions or the latest topics