PvE Changes

Started 11 Jun 2021
by gruenesschaf
in Planned Changes
Fri 11 Jun 2021 8:04 PM by Dhryane
First, I would like to say I LOVE the idea of scaling. This will help groups and people level. Many times I see the same people spamming for groups and really they just a few levels off. (-/+)10 or whatnot)

However, I think you guys have played with instances, and is it possible to bring the instance dungeons or play with the dungeons in some way that encompasses what you are trying to do in the open-world?

The mob system as-is is fine. Why do we need to mess with it?

Honestly, I am just asking for curiosity not to be difficult.
Speakno- Countered By Skill

https://discord.gg/c9DB4By2Rv
Fri 11 Jun 2021 8:07 PM by Uthred
It does say a lot about our current playerbase (or should i say forumbase?), when we are trying to implent something to help new players and low pop time zones to easier level up and find a group and the majority in this thread is complaining about us destroying the solo farming.
Building your world since 2017
Fri 11 Jun 2021 8:14 PM by Beeblebrox
Uthred wrote:
Fri 11 Jun 2021 8:07 PM
It does say a lot about our current playerbase (or should i say forumbase?), when we are trying to implent something to help new players and low pop time zones to easier level up and find a group and the majority in this thread is complaining about us destroying the solo farming.

I'm all for helping new players and it's up to the established player base to make sure they get templated.
Fri 11 Jun 2021 8:15 PM by mhuff13
Uthred wrote:

I made it clear that I know players like me should not be catered to. I was just bringing up a concern. Hardly complaining. I do appreciate the work to make things easier for new players though.
Fri 11 Jun 2021 8:20 PM by WildWilbur
Uthred wrote:

Fair enough but btw: what IS your intention for the player to farm gold with that change? Feathers via endgame dungeons? In my case rvring solo for a few hours a week doesn't compensate for the costs of buffs, pots and charges.
Fri 11 Jun 2021 8:21 PM by jonny290
Beeblebrox wrote:
Fri 11 Jun 2021 8:14 PM
I'm all for helping new players and it's up to the established player base to make sure they get templated.

So what's your answer for the eventual situation when that new player is 50, perhaps levels up a necro to pay for their 50 plat infiltrator template, painstakingly ekes out cash at half the current hourly rate and then goes to the CM and - whoops - every decent 60+ RoG jewelry item is now 20+ plat because nobody can farm large amounts of them? Do you think that player is going to hang around Phoenix for long?

And no 'established player' is going to give away 100-200 plat templates to new players just to have another RR2 in the BG. Let's be real about that one.

Leveling affects the first 8-24 hours of a character's lifespan. Farming and income affects it the _entire_ time.

Once proposed solutions for the economic side are mentioned, I will immediately shut up about this. But until then, I think it's a troubling concern.
Fri 11 Jun 2021 8:25 PM by Tamvolan
Uthred wrote:

A guildie posted in our Discord about this, and what he said kind of resonates. I don't know if I completely agree, as I'm currently having a blast on this server, and I'm going to paraphrase, as I don't know that they'd want this put here but:

Uthgard - Classic server with no QOL - Died
This server - Classic server with too much QOL - going to die
Where's the "just right" server?

I recently came to this server. Came due to a Youtube video I saw, inviting folks to join them. It was a blast. Definite learning curve, but caught on pretty quick. Switched over to a different realm, which meant I was pretty much completely solo, and leveled just fine, before I caught on with a guild.

This server is NOT that difficult to level on. I leveled an aug/mend healer to level 43 before getting any groups or help from the guild. There is NO offense on that character other than the auto-combat swing. I understand wanting to make it easier on new players. People these days don't have the patience to figure things out, and just go out and kill stuff to get to a certain level where people are more likely to group them. But it is already pretty darn easy to level. Maybe I'm missing some of the big picture, but I don't see how this is going to make it that much easier for folks. If you can't find a group, it's probably because there's no one doing what you want to do, or no one that wants to group at that moment.

I just personally feel that you guys are trying to fix things that aren't as broken as you think, or are more broken than I see. How many "old timers" are going to be pushed away, in order to help out a few "new comers"? There has to be a balance.
Fri 11 Jun 2021 8:52 PM by Artamentous
Uthred wrote:

It says to me that the current player base, oops, I mean forumbase (the ones who care enough about the server to invest in registering and commenting here.) see past the “oh that is a cool idea” and wonder, how does this effect me? How does this change my circumstances? It’s really a basic human response to any change.

Why don’t you just address their concerns and continue to discuss this idea instead of being a snarky?

Personally I think this is a good idea. Further I think It should feed into the endgame pve by awarding stat bonuses like DS/HoH/Celestius completions do, as well as use mechanics like those places do. That way when new players get to 50 and want to experience those endgame places they are not kept out because they lack run completions, or familiarity with the mechanics.

It seems less controversial and a “win/win” to do these things in ToA zones, and dungeons then to start doing it to camps where people like to solo farm.
Fri 11 Jun 2021 9:02 PM by Dhryane
I think this part is important, farming and making money is really important to the game. Static farm is a nice calm way for people to farm, I'm not going to completely shut it down until I see it in action.

I am slightly worried as well.

jonny290 wrote:
Fri 11 Jun 2021 8:21 PM
Beeblebrox wrote:
Fri 11 Jun 2021 8:14 PM

So what's your answer for the eventual situation when that new player is 50, perhaps levels up a necro to pay for their 50 plat infiltrator template, painstakingly ekes out cash at half the current hourly rate and then goes to the CM and - whoops - every decent 60+ RoG jewelry item is now 20+ plat because nobody can farm large amounts of them? Do you think that player is going to hang around Phoenix for long?

And no 'established player' is going to give away 100-200 plat templates to new players just to have another RR2 in the BG. Let's be real about that one.

Leveling affects the first 8-24 hours of a character's lifespan. Farming and income affects it the _entire_ time.

Once proposed solutions for the economic side are mentioned, I will immediately shut up about this. But until then, I think it's a troubling concern.
Speakno- Countered By Skill

https://discord.gg/c9DB4By2Rv
Fri 11 Jun 2021 9:09 PM by Magesty
Uthred wrote:

I'm curious if decisions like this are data-driven. Are you tracking new player #s, new player retention, new player average level/RR before going inactive? Or have you accrued some amount of feedback that indicates this is something that would actually help acquire and retain fresh blood?

I could really see this change being a genuinely good way to attract actual new players to the game and make it interesting enough for them to stick around to level up. It's understandable that some might see this as a solution in search of a problem. Will new players retained by this PvE experience actually be able to endure the transition to the much harsher end game PvP?

I think the pushback you are getting on the forums is to be expected. Players are mostly concerned about their own situation, and for most of the people here that is an already existent farming set up. They are comfortable, and likely genuinely enjoy the PvE, whether it be farming or leveling. There is a reason we are all still here twenty years later. Even though I generally avoid leveling these days, it is still an enjoyable experience to progress through Camelot Hills and Salisbury Plains like I did when I was 13, and I can't help but feel it is a little bit of a loss.

I'm interested to see how it works out. It's always good to have new blood in the frontiers, even if they quit after a few days of abuse. If this actually works to facilitate new player retention all that melancholy nostalgia can fuck right off. Same with the plat hoarders.

Return to Planned Changes or the latest topics