2021-03-19 Friday

Started 19 Mar 2021
by gruenesschaf
in News
- the level playing field event is now live and has a couple event zone only changes
-- magic resist debuffs do not reduce the resists but still interrupt
-- dd + debuff spells still reduce the target resist by 10%
-- magic resist buffs do not increase the resists
-- casted cc duration above 10 seconds is halved before applying det / resists, e. g. 1min13 aka 73 seconds becomes 10 + 63 / 2 = 41 seconds before det / resists
-- if you do not move for 3 minutes you will now be disbanded from your auto group even if you're outside of the safe zone
Fri 19 Mar 2021 1:23 PM by Smricha1
Please consider eliminating premade groups from this event. The purpose should be fun and this way the teams remain even. Thank you!
Fri 19 Mar 2021 2:56 PM by ExcretusMaximus
Smricha1 wrote:
Fri 19 Mar 2021 1:23 PM
Please consider eliminating premade groups from this event. The purpose should be fun and this way the teams remain even. Thank you!

How many times do you people need to be told they're never going to limit friends from playing together before it sinks in?
Sat 20 Mar 2021 11:40 AM by lurker
They should either:

Eliminate auto groups - force people to form actual groups.
Or - put normal groups and auto groups in separate zone.
Or - eliminate normal grouping.

But one of the three has to happen somewhere otherwise this event just gets very old very quickly for anybody not in a premade.

I say this as somebody who runs both in premades and auto groups.

Edit: There were a number of premades fighting last night in the 45-48 zone who were pulling off fights and teaming up together to fight others who were adding and the /rude the adders...

While I understand this behaviour in normal rvr, especially since /fairfight encourages it. This is a 4 day chaotic event. An autogroup with 2 arms, a SB, a scout and a menta (for example) has no other hope but to add on whatever chaos it finds. Being teamed up on by perfect 5man setups feels a bit naff during an event which you would hope might encourage new players into rvr.
Sat 20 Mar 2021 4:10 PM by Irkeno
Its amazing how unwilling people are to make the effort to form a group.

They gave autogroup, people moan
They gave a channel on discord for LFG, people moan
Region is available.

The tools are available for you to form a group with a semblance of a bit of balance without much effort, and that's assuming you have 0 friends to talk to or ask in the first place.

And still people moan because they're grouped with 5 people with no CC and no heals and no buffs and run in to a group that has a vague plan.

Unfortunately the large majority of these 'premades' you're facing are actually just PUGs that took a bit of time to work things out.
Sat 20 Mar 2021 9:16 PM by Olk
I had a 4 hour premade otday. And by premade I mean I literally just invite a dude again after we level-capped out of a zone. From there on it kinda went to discord and adding 3 people. We even had some guys who didn't talk at all, just listened.

Yet people still complain about premades... Just MAKE a premade. It literally takes NO effort. At all.
Sat 20 Mar 2021 10:49 PM by DJ2000
2 things.

1. Stop assuming all/other people being lazy/stubborn or whatever.

2. I don't think that, for these people, this is about "it" being too much effort or not.
A. There are always "new/returning" Players, or new to phoenix as a whole, that literally just join for this event, without even knowing the Rules or anything about it apart from the fact that it happens. Install, create and go.
B. There are also Players, purists, that simply reject stuff like Discord, AHK (or scripts in general) just as the "premade" approach to this event.

Every positive and negative aspect of this event has been voiced since the first 2 incarnations of this event. This discussion is fruitless.
Mon 22 Mar 2021 8:53 AM by Sepplord
lurker wrote:
Sat 20 Mar 2021 11:40 AM
There were a number of premades fighting last night in the 45-48 zone who were pulling off fights and teaming up together to fight others who were adding and the /rude the adders...

Wierd, considering they could have had endless 8vs8 fights without adds in RvR during the event, since population was so low. EU Primtime sometimes had literally too few visible 50s in the frontier to form even 2groups. The risk of adds would never be lower.
Instead they chose to go into the overpopulated event zone, and then do their pull off game to farm randoms there

if anyone still believes that those groups are looking for fairfights, i have a bridge to sell. They are actively avoiding the best options to have fairfights.
Mon 22 Mar 2021 10:32 AM by Lollie
Be hard to sell your bridge due to all of the stealthers camping it
Mon 22 Mar 2021 11:47 AM by snaw
Loving the CC changes, make them permanent please.
Tue 23 Mar 2021 2:34 PM by Floque
when does the event stop? i could not find the announcement so far?
I am completely new to Phoenix and DAOC, i found the event so far very funny but completely chaotic.

It's possible to level even under these circumstances, nevertheless
Tue 23 Mar 2021 2:40 PM by ExcretusMaximus
Floque wrote:
Tue 23 Mar 2021 2:34 PM
when does the event stop? i could not find the announcement so far?

3 hours and 40 minutes ago.
Tue 23 Mar 2021 10:00 PM by Elesdee
Love the event in its basic idea. Although i dont see it as a "leveling event". Its major fun is: instant action / not having to run around searching for fights 50% of the time.
Smallman sized grps, easy to build. I dont care for any xp/rp gained during the event. I got everything i need already. For me its a pvp event, building interesting exotic setups.

Major downside is the size of the map for this amount of players. Having 350 ppl doing pvp on a zone like this, means a massive addfest. Impossible to finish a fight. You basically can run whatever setup, you will die at some point. Felt a bit like playing unreal tournament or something, rather than an mmo.

I value that you've already taken a bigger map, compared to the last times, but still, for the future of this event some other solutions and different maps have to be used imo.
And of course its gonna suck, when people in a stage with 20 players in it, are roaming for enemies on the same size of map, where elsewhere 300 ppl are kinda having good and frequent or rather too many incs.

I cant really come up with a solution for this, but from my perspective, its a fact, that th zone is still too small for 50s stage prime time action.

Cheers
Tue 23 Mar 2021 10:07 PM by gotwqqd
Elesdee wrote:
Tue 23 Mar 2021 10:00 PM
Love the event in its basic idea. Although i dont see it as a "leveling event". Its major fun is: instant action / not having to run around searching for fights 50% of the time.
Smallman sized grps, easy to build. I dont care for any xp/rp gained during the event. I got everything i need already. For me its a pvp event, building interesting exotic setups.

Major downside is the size of the map for this amount of players. Having 350 ppl doing pvp on a zone like this, means a massive addfest. Impossible to finish a fight. You basically can run whatever setup, you will die at some point. Felt a bit like playing unreal tournament or something, rather than an mmo.

I value that you've already taken a bigger map, compared to the last times, but still, for the future of this event some other solutions and different maps have to be used imo.
And of course its gonna suck, when people in a stage with 20 players in it, are roaming for enemies on the same size of map, where elsewhere 300 ppl are kinda having good and frequent or rather too many incs.

I cant really come up with a solution for this, but from my perspective, its a fact, that th zone is still too small for 50s stage prime time action.

Cheers

I don’t think mapsize is an issue.
Problem is population is not spread out well.
There are massive areas East north and west of central area that are largely unused.....except for couple groups that seem to roam spawn spots.
Wed 24 Mar 2021 1:20 PM by keruz
Well, it seems that we only have opinions about the "pro-players" event or those who simply already have a strong guild, with lvl 50 template and chars. So, let's take the opinion of a new player, who is not part of this "class" ". I'm new, I don't have a strong guild, I don't speak the predominant language of the server perfectly to use discord and I don't have "pro-players" skills to form PVE groups, so I loved the event. The concept of leveling the character, playing in the RVR and with a random group was great for my player profile (newbie), so much so that while some did hundreds of lvl 50 chars with the event I managed to get only 1 lvl 30 char. And now, after the end of the event, I ALWAYS enter the server, put a /lfg xp, at different times of the day and NOTHING, I can't get 1 group. The event gave me motivation to play on the phoenix server, but now that it is over, knowing that unfortunately the DAOC game has a high negative point that was what caused the failure of the other server that some must know (uthg ...), which was where each kingdom keeps only a limited number of advanced and closed players, newbies are unable to group and level and give up and little by little the server does not renew with new players and the old ones "die". A pity even though some still criticize such an event, which benefits the novice player, and they do not need it, as they already have chars template, strong guild and everything high, that is, complaining about the small one, to stay big.
Wed 24 Mar 2021 2:55 PM by Lollie
What your suffering though is the downside to the event, why roll a new toon, try and level the traditional way, then grind out rr5 when you can wait until the event and do it in a couple of days and this is typically what you see now.
Wed 24 Mar 2021 8:46 PM by Elesdee
keruz wrote:
Wed 24 Mar 2021 1:20 PM
Well, it seems that we only have opinions about the "pro-players" event or those who simply already have a strong guild, with lvl 50 template and chars. So, let's take the opinion of a new player, who is not part of this "class" ". I'm new, I don't have a strong guild, I don't speak the predominant language of the server perfectly to use discord and I don't have "pro-players" skills to form PVE groups, so I loved the event. The concept of leveling the character, playing in the RVR and with a random group was great for my player profile (newbie), so much so that while some did hundreds of lvl 50 chars with the event I managed to get only 1 lvl 30 char. And now, after the end of the event, I ALWAYS enter the server, put a /lfg xp, at different times of the day and NOTHING, I can't get 1 group. The event gave me motivation to play on the phoenix server, but now that it is over, knowing that unfortunately the DAOC game has a high negative point that was what caused the failure of the other server that some must know (uthg ...), which was where each kingdom keeps only a limited number of advanced and closed players, newbies are unable to group and level and give up and little by little the server does not renew with new players and the old ones "die". A pity even though some still criticize such an event, which benefits the novice player, and they do not need it, as they already have chars template, strong guild and everything high, that is, complaining about the small one, to stay big.

mate.. you can easily grind a char to 50 in a few days here. even as a noob.. so thats not the problem.
(and if you dont know how to build strong xp grps, theres and advice-chat that tells you all you need to know - somtimes bull**** but mostly 10 answers in a row, and a big discussion about whos the idiot and whos right ;D )

but i can agree to something a former post talked about. i think there could be easily two different instances for A: Autogroups and B: Premades
as a premade setup with ppl that kinda know what theyre doing, you're basically laughing your ass off when hitting a grp like hunter scout reaver wizard friar or something
would be great to get these folks seperated. they would not suffer too hard from enemies they dont have a chance against, and the more epxerienced folks could enjoy their battles too

BUT: mate.. this game is OLD, and hard and unforgiving. its always been
I personally respect newcomers for trying to jump on this crazy train.. but in the end, daoc was never an easy game imo.
you have to suck it down and try hard to improve, learn the mechanics of the game and organise your groups, or you land face down in the mud. OR you go zerg and outnumber others, that always works, no offense here.

so the game is mostly played by "the old ones" and they are mostly sturdy. this game has some crazy attraction on them they'll never gonna die out i think.
for me the event is no leveling event btw.. unfortunately the staff calls it that, and doesnt give us a real pvp event with existing chars.

and here comes the main reason for me to still LOVE this event:
its non stop action, no running around playing walking simulator, no big effin zergs that outnumber ppl cos they cant kill **** on their own. no stupid pv wood that draws action etc.

the only problem for me in the event is the massive addfest. you cant finish a fight. that sucks..
I heavily vote for seperating the AUTOgroups and the PREMADEgrps - that would solve 2 problems at once.

Peace <3
Wed 24 Mar 2021 10:44 PM by DJ2000
Imagine seperating the 2.

imagine someone in the autogrp say these crazy words: "yo, dude, i have a discord server, dude, So u guys wanna join or what, dude?"

imagine his entire grp joins his discord.

is it still "autogrp" or is it "premade"?
Obvously its still autogrp right? As "premade" basically means they made their grp prior to the event...which they didn't.

imagine you have to fight these guys only using the chat.

Still fair game?

What you are requesting for is nothing but delusional.
"Auto grp" was implemented as a helping tool, it was not intended to be the "one-and-only" way to play this event.
Wed 24 Mar 2021 11:18 PM by keruz
Elesdee wrote:
Wed 24 Mar 2021 8:46 PM
keruz wrote:
Wed 24 Mar 2021 1:20 PM

mate.. you can easily grind a char to 50 in a few days here. even as a noob.. so thats not the problem.
(and if you dont know how to build strong xp grps, theres and advice-chat that tells you all you need to know - somtimes bull**** but mostly 10 answers in a row, and a big discussion about whos the idiot and whos right ;D )

but i can agree to something a former post talked about. i think there could be easily two different instances for A: Autogroups and B: Premades
as a premade setup with ppl that kinda know what theyre doing, you're basically laughing your ass off when hitting a grp like hunter scout reaver wizard friar or something
would be great to get these folks seperated. they would not suffer too hard from enemies they dont have a chance against, and the more epxerienced folks could enjoy their battles too

BUT: mate.. this game is OLD, and hard and unforgiving. its always been
I personally respect newcomers for trying to jump on this crazy train.. but in the end, daoc was never an easy game imo.
you have to suck it down and try hard to improve, learn the mechanics of the game and organise your groups, or you land face down in the mud. OR you go zerg and outnumber others, that always works, no offense here.

so the game is mostly played by "the old ones" and they are mostly sturdy. this game has some crazy attraction on them they'll never gonna die out i think.
for me the event is no leveling event btw.. unfortunately the staff calls it that, and doesnt give us a real pvp event with existing chars.

and here comes the main reason for me to still LOVE this event:
its non stop action, no running around playing walking simulator, no big effin zergs that outnumber ppl cos they cant kill **** on their own. no stupid pv wood that draws action etc.

the only problem for me in the event is the massive addfest. you cant finish a fight. that sucks..
I heavily vote for seperating the AUTOgroups and the PREMADEgrps - that would solve 2 problems at once.

Peace <3

I respect your position and opinion, but I would very much like the administration to put a graph of how the number of simultaneous players online behaved on the day of the event and in the days before/after the event, just to have real data on how much the event impacted and helped (or not) the community and the server, staying out of false information or assumptions
Wed 24 Mar 2021 11:24 PM by Uthred
Population overview about the last 3 Playing Field events:

https://unixgeek.com/phoenix.html
Thu 25 Mar 2021 12:17 AM by Smricha1
DJ2000 wrote:
Wed 24 Mar 2021 10:44 PM
Imagine seperating the 2.

imagine someone in the autogrp say these crazy words: "yo, dude, i have a discord server, dude, So u guys wanna join or what, dude?"

imagine his entire grp joins his discord.

is it still "autogrp" or is it "premade"?
Obvously its still autogrp right? As "premade" basically means they made their grp prior to the event...which they didn't.

imagine you have to fight these guys only using the chat.

Still fair game?

What you are requesting for is nothing but delusional.
"Auto grp" was implemented as a helping tool, it was not intended to be the "one-and-only" way to play this event.

Calm down
Thu 25 Mar 2021 1:02 AM by Freedomcall
No hate against premades, but I think it can be an idea to seperate premades and autogroup on 49-50 stage only, just because it is hugely populated.
Thu 25 Mar 2021 1:13 AM by DJ2000
Smricha1 wrote:
Thu 25 Mar 2021 12:17 AM
Calm down
Sure thing.
Thu 25 Mar 2021 1:32 AM by keruz
Uthred wrote:
Wed 24 Mar 2021 11:24 PM
Population overview about the last 3 Playing Field events:

https://unixgeek.com/phoenix.html

really nice, thx.
This type of information is more than enough to know if the events are good or not by the administration of the server and the players
Thu 25 Mar 2021 2:03 AM by easytoremember
I enjoyed the CC duration change and the lack of magic
resist buffs
Thu 25 Mar 2021 8:32 PM by Cal
Non stop action and a real blast for the 5 days it was on. I hadn't played Camelot for a while on Phoenix, Uthgard or Live for a while, but this mode and the 5 man group size really freshened the experience up. Now if only that mode existed permanently and reset every 3 months I'd be a happy camper :p

Thanks for a fantastic weekend of gaming
This topic is locked and you can't reply.

Return to News or the latest topics