Hunter lvling solo question

Started 24 Jul 2018
by Quik
in Midgard
So my hunter is not 15 I think. Been leveling with BM and Spear both almost equally. Using Endo/Celerity/healing pots it is pretty easy to just melee things down. I have had 3 yellows one me and was still able to melee down without being in real danger. I know melee with pots is pretty good.

What about ranged though? I am going to work on my fletching tonight to get the best arrows with the best range. With all the buff pots would I kill faster solo if I maxed archery and put some in BM or spear? I have only used the bow a few times here and I have no points into it so it doesn't hurt much.

Was hoping to get someone who has used both and can give me their opinion. If not I will just respect and try it.

Thanks in advance =)

Also if anyone wants to duo with my hunter tonight who is around 12-15 let me know. I'd be happy to make more pots and get something going.
Tue 24 Jul 2018 7:40 PM by Numatic
I don't know how it is here as I haven't tried a bow class yet. But on uthgard (which works off the same patch) my bro played a hunter. Up until around 30+ you can kill a yellow by the time it reaches you, or with maybe needing a hit or two with melee before its dead. That's with your bow at composite spec with your level and using the correct arrows dmg type. My bro maintained comp bow and spear with the rest in BC since stealth isnt needed for pve.

For rvr, it entirely depends on your playstyle. Since dmg is maxed at comp 50 it's better to go higher BC as you gain ranks for the better spells/pets in BC.
Tue 24 Jul 2018 9:15 PM by sebbo
Friend of mine went full melee spec for xping, i went full bow. Worked fine for me. Due to endureg pots + mending pots, i could easily chainpull yellows which were down to ~20%/~30% life, some even didnt reach me alive. And when i say "no downtime", i really mean it.
Tue 24 Jul 2018 9:32 PM by Quik
Perfect thanks guys I will try out bow tonight. I can make all my own pots so now just to get fletching up for better arrows.
Wed 25 Jul 2018 11:58 AM by heardstheword
Try it out.

Try a few specs for a few levels and see which you enjoy more. Luckily single spec respecs are free for beta.
Fri 27 Jul 2018 9:47 AM by Laadna
I leveled with bow and beastcraft one level below my current lvl, the few leftover points in spear. With the best arrows, once I got tireless I could park on a yellow/blue spot and shoot without any downtime at all. Before tireless, I still had to regen every four or five mobs.

Once in a while a yellow mob would reach melee. One spear swing is enough to kill it (hence, a slow spear is better), and by the time another mob reaches melee I would have regain any health i lost.

Orange mobs are ok, they take away ~40% hp maximum. Thus, a yellow/orange spot is tricky because you need some health regen once in a while. Maybe I should get some points into alchemy and use hp pots...

I still didn't figure out if I should focus on green, blue, yellow or orange mobs due to the extra xp provided by eggs.
Fri 27 Jul 2018 12:13 PM by heardstheword
Laadna wrote:
Fri 27 Jul 2018 9:47 AM
I still didn't figure out if I should focus on green, blue, yellow or orange mobs due to the extra xp provided by eggs.

It's better to chain pull blue/yellow with zero downtime than to have downtime every so often between oj's. The added eggs from OJ's isn't worth the wasted downtime between pulls to regen health. Less overall XP from mob to mob, but overall better xp due to consistent xp
Fri 27 Jul 2018 8:55 PM by Quik
Ok I tried both.

With full pots (Endo/DmgShield/Celerity/Healing) I can definitely kill more mobs faster and more efficiently with the Spear then I can with the bow. I had the best crafted arrows and I went full bow with Crit Shot. Yes I could kill yellows/blues easy and maybe need to hit them once or twice when they got to me, but I could solo an OJ with my spear just as fast and was rdy to kill another right away, no downtime hardly at all.
Fri 27 Jul 2018 10:26 PM by colechar
Quik wrote:
Fri 27 Jul 2018 8:55 PM
Ok I tried both.

With full pots (Endo/DmgShield/Celerity/Healing) I can definitely kill more mobs faster and more efficiently with the Spear then I can with the bow. I had the best crafted arrows and I went full bow with Crit Shot. Yes I could kill yellows/blues easy and maybe need to hit them once or twice when they got to me, but I could solo an OJ with my spear just as fast and was rdy to kill another right away, no downtime hardly at all.

Chain killing orange mobs? Nerf him! 😜
Fri 27 Jul 2018 11:23 PM by Quik
colechar wrote:
Fri 27 Jul 2018 10:26 PM
Quik wrote:
Fri 27 Jul 2018 8:55 PM
Ok I tried both.

Chain killing orange mobs? Nerf him! 😜

Sorry...I meant to say I could barely handle a green...I need a little more help...
Sat 28 Jul 2018 1:08 PM by IpkonfigCMD
Crit Shot also takes so freaking long in the beginning to fire. Full BC/Spear and just run mob to mob mowing down blue/yellow.

Once you can charm an Arch Priest in Myrkwood you are now unkillable put that thing on passive and just go to town on anything you see and he'll keep you alive!
Sat 28 Jul 2018 3:04 PM by Quik
What lvl are they? And I won't keep them if I zone right? What if I get on a horse?

It just limits where I can xp to lower xp areas....
Sat 28 Jul 2018 4:02 PM by IpkonfigCMD
I can't remember if you horse with them.. I've def seen Hunters in Muspelhiem with Arch Priests in tow, they may have hoofed it all the way there which would take a while, but worth it if you are in for a long grind session.

I think you need to be 18 or 19 to charm them.

It's pretty gimmicky but Tireless 1 + END 1 Pot and the Arch Priest is unlimited Yellow farm. Think he heals for like 80 a heal and never seems to run out of resources.
Sat 28 Jul 2018 4:31 PM by Quik
I will try it tonight and thanks =) Will look up where to find them. I am 23 though so hoping I don't outlvl them quick, although if just using for heals it wouldn't matter much. Any high lvl versions?
Sun 29 Jul 2018 12:37 AM by IpkonfigCMD
There are higher level ones in the Frontier but I don't think even with 50 BC they are charmable... I've heard there are some bugs Alb side the frontier that are charmable and have a cold DD they spam. Never confirmed.

Arch Priest will only heal on passive, so even when they are grey to you they are only there to be a heal bot.
This topic is locked and you can't reply.

Return to Midgard or the latest topics