Friars

Started 13 Aug 2020
by MuddBeard
in Albion
I have noticed a non-existence of Friars are they a minute point in the game at this phase of it? I started playing mine and he has been a blast. But, it has been hard to find a group. Is their even a point to keep running with him or should i just give up and reroll. I want to be able to use him alittle of every where. I mean they have great utilities HOTs, on hit heal proc, haste, great heals, and end reduction.

Let me know what you guys think. I mean i am gonna keep him going but they just seem useless.

Also what are the common specs for friars?
Thu 13 Aug 2020 11:57 AM by labra
you'll find what you need here
https://forum.playphoenix.online/realm/albion/14635-staff-friarwhats-spec

spec is up to what you plan to play (solo, small, zerg etc) and your playstyle.

Mine is 46 Enh, 39 staff, 24 rej, 11 parry because I don't to heal that much.
Thu 13 Aug 2020 12:34 PM by Centenario
My Friar strategy for speccing:
40 rejuv (heal proc, and cure ns 2)
composite 48 enhancement for the 1.25% bonus to buff delves for base dex (could consider going composite 50 for bonus to strength buff too.
as close as possible to composite 52 on staff.
Rest Parry or more staff
Thu 13 Aug 2020 12:56 PM by thirian24
It all depends on how you want to play your friar.

If you want to be in there staffing shit down, youre probably not going to get any grps.

IMHO Friars are very very nice to have in 8man grps b/c they bring a lot to the table. HoTs, Heal Proc and most importanly resists and the ability to peel.

The only issue with the Friar is, it takes a very strong player to play it to its full potential in an 8man comp. If the grp is going to run the Friar over a Cleric... it will def need to be played well.

I like this spec for grp Friars
46 Enhance
43 Rejuv
18 staff

Good luck.

Here is a really nice grp Friar PoV - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=feniPYGGN5c&t=37s
Thu 13 Aug 2020 2:44 PM by Blitze
Friars are not popular and it is mostly due to the patch level that Phoenix is set at. Friars have had little buffs to help them and they generally are in decent shape (in my opinion). Beware though, you will not be the super stealtherkiller many people remember from around this patch level... Assassins here hit hard and have WS/con poison --> get Purge1/IP1 and ST1 asap.
FYI, last year Friars were the least popular RvR class. Now they are the ~10th least.

So speccs and grouping...

The most likely ways your going to get an 8man group as a Friar is either 1) as a 2nd Cleric, or 2) as a kind of free-role.

1) if you're the second Cleric then you must spec 40,43 or 44 rejuv and only 18staff... This will mean your melee is only used for the sidestyle snare.
2) If you get a free-role as a peeler/healer/assister in a group with 2 Clerics already, then you'll likely specc 34staff with 32/34 rejuv. This is a jack of all specc and your melee wont be great untill RR7+.

If you wanna Zerg then specs don't really matter... play a melee Friar (with 39staff at low RR) or a heal Friar (with 40+rejuv) or a hybrid (with 34/34ish).
If you wanna solo then you need to spec either Hybrid (34staff) or Melee (39staff) to have a chance and Melee will do definitely do better below RR7 (Also remember parry becomes very useful when solo).

If you wanna duo/smallman then depending on your partner(s) you can specc any of the speccs and do fine... I would recommend Hybrid though.
Thu 13 Aug 2020 3:31 PM by MuddBeard
Blitze wrote:
Thu 13 Aug 2020 2:44 PM
Friars are not popular and it is mostly due to the patch level that Phoenix is set at. Friars have had little buffs to help them and they generally are in decent shape (in my opinion). Beware though, you will not be the super stealtherkiller many people remember from around this patch level... Assassins here hit hard and have WS/con poison --> get Purge1/IP1 and ST1 asap.
FYI, last year Friars were the least popular RvR class. Now they are the ~10th least.

The most likely ways your going to get an 8man group as a Friar is either 1) as a 2nd Cleric, or 2) as a kind of free-role.

1) if you're the second Cleric then you must spec 40,43 or 44 rejuv and only 18staff... This will mean your melee is only used for the sidestyle snare.
2) If you get a free-role as a peeler/healer/assister in a group with 2 Clerics already, then you'll likely specc 34staff with 32/34 rejuv. This is a jack of all specc and your melee wont be great untill RR7+.

If you wanna Zerg then specs don't really matter... play a melee Friar (with 39staff at low RR) or a heal Friar (with 40+rejuv) or a hybrid (with 34/34ish).
If you wanna solo then you need to spec either Hybrid (34staff) or Melee (39staff) to have a chance and Melee will do definitely do better below RR7 (Also remember parry becomes very useful when solo).

If you wanna duo/smallman then depending on your partner(s) you can specc any of the speccs and do fine... I would recommend Hybrid though.

Thank you this helped alot. This is gonna be my first 50 and wanted to be able to get into farm grps and be able to rvr so this has helped quite a bit. I am hoping i will be as use in DS always wanted to run one.
Thu 13 Aug 2020 5:05 PM by Neso
thirian24 wrote:
Thu 13 Aug 2020 12:56 PM
It all depends on how you want to play your friar.

If you want to be in there staffing shit down, youre probably not going to get any grps.

IMHO Friars are very very nice to have in 8man grps b/c they bring a lot to the table. HoTs, Heal Proc and most importanly resists and the ability to peel.

The only issue with the Friar is, it takes a very strong player to play it to its full potential in an 8man comp. If the grp is going to run the Friar over a Cleric... it will def need to be played well.

I like this spec for grp Friars
46 Enhance
43 Rejuv
18 staff

Good luck.

Here is a really nice grp Friar PoV - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=feniPYGGN5c&t=37s

This pretty much.
Another problem is you'll be in competition with a rej cleric for that slot. This servers been around long enough now for some very high realm ranks vs your reliatively unknown, low rr friar. The lack of many 8man pugs won't help your plight.
Thu 13 Aug 2020 5:32 PM by Blitze
Once templated, Friars get DS groups just fine!

But Friars are not expensive to template and as your first 50, you probably should not bother aiming for a weaponless template and avoid expenses like Heart of Legion.

So needed items for template...

Armour
Sidi chest

Staff
—-pick one—-
Brazen stout defender (5.6spd)
Or
RoG LT staff (5.5spd)
Or
Sidi healproc staff (5.0spd)

Then SC a 3.0 spd staff and put similar stats to the one you’ve picked above for peeling!
Thu 13 Aug 2020 6:30 PM by imweasel
Blitze wrote:
Thu 13 Aug 2020 2:44 PM

This right here is very good advice.

Basically, support friars go 40+ rejuv, 45+ enh and 18 staff.

Tri-spec is 34 rejuv, 45enh and 34 staff.

"Staff" friars go 39+ staff, 45enh, 16-25 rejuv and the rest parry.

Typical staff specs (lowest rejuv to higher rejuv)
16rej, 45enh, 39staff, 23parry. Or drop parry to 11 and staff up to 44.

Max 25rej, 45enh, 39-40staff rest parry.
Thu 13 Aug 2020 6:54 PM by MuddBeard
It is really worth going 25 for that extra heal i was thinking of stopping at 24 for the hot.... shout i take that extra point and for 25 for the heal. so if i do get of the snare. I could potentially get off a big heal.
Thu 13 Aug 2020 7:21 PM by imweasel
MuddBeard wrote:
Thu 13 Aug 2020 6:54 PM
It is really worth going 25 for that extra heal i was thinking of stopping at 24 for the hot.... shout i take that extra point and for 25 for the heal. so if i do get of the snare. I could potentially get off a big heal.

I'm not a super big fan of parry. It just depends if you want that 37% better heal than two more parry going 24 to 25 rejuv.

If you wants lots of parry and staff, 16 rejuv is where it's at
Fri 14 Aug 2020 9:59 AM by Blitze
Yep for low RR, solo: i like the 39staff 45enhance 16 rejuv 23 parry specc. It hits hard and you parry alot.
(this specc does ok in Duo, especially with a Minstrel... at higher RR the 34staff specc will be better as you wont lose as much damage and gain healing).

HoTs are huge power sinks and only useful in big groups. For example, i prefer 34staff 45enhance 32rejuv 11parry as a hybrid specc for everything except 8v8 or DS where i would probably do the 34/45/34 hybrid... & i think most 8v8 full Rejuv Friars do not bother with the 44rejuv HoT.

In my opinion, the improvement of the HoT is very much needed. Firstly, lower power cost, secondly allow it to be casted while moving < any Devs listening >
Fri 14 Aug 2020 1:55 PM by imweasel
Blitze wrote:
Fri 14 Aug 2020 9:59 AM
Yep for low RR, solo: i like the 39staff 45enhance 16 rejuv 23 parry specc. It hits hard and you parry alot.
(this specc does ok in Duo, especially with a Minstrel... at higher RR the 34staff specc will be better as you wont lose as much damage and gain healing).

HoTs are huge power sinks and only useful in big groups. For example, i prefer 34staff 45enhance 32rejuv 11parry as a hybrid specc for everything except 8v8 or DS where i would probably do the 34/45/34 hybrid... & i think most 8v8 full Rejuv Friars do not bother with the 44rejuv HoT.

In my opinion, the improvement of the HoT is very much needed. Firstly, lower power cost, secondly allow it to be casted while moving < any Devs listening >

I agree. However you really want that 33spec heal.

I think the HoT should be an instant with a short cool down. The length of the cool down would depend on how good the HoT is. More it heals and less power it takes is what the cool down should be.
Fri 14 Aug 2020 1:58 PM by Centenario
Centenario wrote:
Thu 13 Aug 2020 12:34 PM
My Friar strategy for speccing:
40 rejuv (heal proc, and cure ns 2)
composite 48 enhancement for the 1.25% bonus to buff delves for base dex (could consider going composite 50 for bonus to strength buff too.
as close as possible to composite 52 on staff.
Rest Parry or more staff

This spec is my friar DS spec, 20% of my DS runs done on that friar.
Wed 19 Aug 2020 7:48 AM by Klasker
I am planning on switching my friar spec to 34 rejuv 34 staff 45 enhancement, i have been running 16/39/45 but i feel very useless in groups.
I am thinking that with 34 rejuv, i will at least be able to support on healing.
Wed 19 Aug 2020 8:31 AM by inoeth
i wonder why nobody mentioned 48 enhancement for the red cold buff? i mean cold trains are rare on mid and in that case it wont help you but a runemaster/bd is very common.
i would aim for

48 enc
40 ren
18 staff

RA
det9
VR5
purge5

on paper that looks like a really good healer with det, high dmg absorb and peeling ability.
in fact me and my guild ran into a grp with cleric/friar healing duo and they were quite strong
Thu 20 Aug 2020 5:20 AM by imweasel
inoeth wrote:
Wed 19 Aug 2020 8:31 AM
i wonder why nobody mentioned 48 enhancement for the red cold buff? i mean cold trains are rare on mid and in that case it wont help you but a runemaster/bd is very common.
i would aim for

48 enc
40 ren
18 staff

RA
det9
VR5
purge5

on paper that looks like a really good healer with det, high dmg absorb and peeling ability.
in fact me and my guild ran into a grp with cleric/friar healing duo and they were quite strong

That's a very good spec for a support friar, but I think the OP might have been thinking more along the lines of with hybrid/tri-spec or more of a solo/staff spec with some group skills/spec. For groups this really requires a min 25rej to a max 34rej and either a 34 or 39 staff spec to go along with 45enh.
Sat 26 Sep 2020 3:13 PM by kuplet
Interesting specs for friars. Since Im fairly new to Phoenix. I was wondering if Friars can solo kill mobs in Sidi? If so wha specs would be best?
Sat 26 Sep 2020 4:35 PM by The Skies Asunder
kuplet wrote:
Sat 26 Sep 2020 3:13 PM
Interesting specs for friars. Since Im fairly new to Phoenix. I was wondering if Friars can solo kill mobs in Sidi? If so wha specs would be best?

I haven't tested on Phoenix, but I would assume that basically all classes would suffer (or be straight up impossible) trying to solo in the epic dungeons at this patch level.
Sat 7 Nov 2020 6:41 PM by gotwqqd
So no specs for solo friar with 8 second stun @44?
Sat 7 Nov 2020 7:24 PM by labra
I'd say 44 staff, 45 enh, 16 rej and 11 parry but landing the 3rd style for the stun would be hard.
Sat 7 Nov 2020 9:06 PM by gotwqqd
labra wrote:
Sat 7 Nov 2020 7:24 PM
I'd say 44 staff, 45 enh, 16 rej and 11 parry but landing the 3rd style for the stun would be hard.
Ah
Sorry didn’t notice it was three part chain

I thought it was like polearm
One style with a choice of two follow ups
Sat 7 Nov 2020 9:36 PM by labra
I'd like but no
Tue 10 Nov 2020 2:39 AM by Six
ill add my 2 cents i suppose.

32 rejuv = lvl 33 spec heal would be great but its 276 at 2.6 sec cast vs 211 at 2.7 cast for the lvl 25 one. not a huge gain when compared to the spec greater heal u get at 32 which is 432 at 2.2 sec vs the 341 at 2.3 sec for the lvl 25 one. its a power dump but it gets the job done and gets u back to peeling or dps or even just repositioning quickly and feels natural for friar. casting a lot of smaller heals and saving power well....make a rejuv cleric imo
46enh = red d/q buff + red heat resist (most popular nuke u will face as alb)
34staff = back snare + taunt which is a solid anytime style unlike most classes taunt.
6parry = useless

this is my spec and thats how it works for me, really it seems to do everything i could want except having ns cure 2 for the 8mans who would expect it.

edit = should mention the lvl 21 evade snare which is a great self peel
Wed 23 Dec 2020 9:36 AM by SlowMo
So I am back after about a good year playing ohter games.
I read Friars do have heal styles now?

Can´t find anything in the charplaner, though.

Which Style does have heal? I read its a spread?

I probably going for solo spec and expecting many fights vs sins.
Anyone so kind to share their experience and builds with me?
Ty
Wed 23 Dec 2020 10:14 AM by Lollie
It's not a heal style, you get a castable buff which gives everyone a change to proc the spread heal
Thu 31 Dec 2020 5:04 PM by Vkejai
Anyone tried a life drain proc armour set yet ? If so did you find it better than ablatives ?
Thu 31 Dec 2020 6:12 PM by gromet12
Vkejai wrote:
Thu 31 Dec 2020 5:04 PM
Anyone tried a life drain proc armour set yet ? If so did you find it better than ablatives ?

Would be awesome for solo/small...but where are you going to get it from? You cannot add LT to armor so that doesn't work out.
Thu 31 Dec 2020 9:34 PM by Vkejai
Rogs
Sat 13 Feb 2021 4:53 AM by gomashio
Just posting my hybrid friar template in case its helpful... using <500g per item rogs from marketplace (took a while to find a combo that worked but my method was to fill jewelry by the cheapest highest util stuff first), sidi chest, sidi staff. Did not cap rej/enh (adding + to rej prevented cap in other areas in loki 1.4). Procs etc not included here. The 6 core jewelry cost 2P from housing market, then bought crafted leather and spellcrafted DIY (minus the sidi). I read elsewhere that +rej is not that important since it just affects baseline heals, hoping that is true

LOKI Build Report
Two-Handed Configuration:
Build Utility: 896.3
Useable Utility: 893.0
TOA Utility: 0.0

Statistics
STR:0/75 CON:75/75 DEX:76/75
QUI:76/75 INT:0/75 PIE:75/75
CHA:0/75 EMP:0/75
Hits:200/200
Power:25/25
AF:0/50

Resistances
Body: 26
Cold: 26
Heat: 26
Energy: 26
Matter: 26
Spirit: 27+5
Crush: 26+2
Slash: 26+3
Thrust: 26

Skills
Rejuvenation: 3
Enhancements: 3
Parry: 11
Staff: 11

Bonuses

Chest (Azure Prayerbound Robe):
Imbue: 30.0
15 Dexterity
15 Constitution
3 Parry
4 Staff
Utility: 55.0

Arms:
Imbue: 33.5/28 (Quality: 99)
2% Thrust
11% Energy
2 Staff
11 Power
Utility: 58.0

Head:
19 Quickness
3% Cold
7% Matter
28 Dexterity
Utility: 51.3

Legs:
25 Piety
9% Slash
3% Cold
19 Quickness
Utility: 53.3

Hands:
Imbue: 33.0/28 (Quality: 99)
28 Constitution
3% Crush
20 Hits
28 Piety
Utility: 48.3

Feet:
68 Hits
19 Quickness
9% Slash
3% Heat
Utility: 53.7

Two-Handed (Brazen Stout Defender):
Imbue: 35.0
22 Dexterity
22 Piety
3 Parry
4 Staff
Utility: 64.3

Neck (Ancient Copper Necklace):
Imbue: 45.0
10% Body
10% Crush
10% Spirit
10% Thrust
Utility: 80.0

Cloak (ROG):
Imbue: 33.0/28 (Quality: 99)
5% Crush
25 Constitution
5% Matter
9 Power
Utility: 54.7

Jewel (Heatbender Supreme Gem #83):
Imbue: 41.0
64 Hits
10% Heat
8% Slash
9% Spirit
Utility: 70.0

Belt (Bodybender Supreme Belt #83):
Imbue: 34.0
9% Body
7% Cold
8% Spirit
3 Parry
Utility: 63.0

Left Ring (Energybender Supreme Ring #237):
Imbue: 34.0
11 Dexterity
8% Crush
9% Energy
1% Heat
7% Matter
1 ALL melee weapon skills
Utility: 62.3

Right Ring (Heatbander Supreme Ring #975):
Imbue: 38.5
5 Power
48 Hits
7% Body
12% Heat
1 ALL magic skills
Utility: 65.0

Left Wrist (Thrustbender Supreme Bracer #1243):
Imbue: 36.0
6% Matter
14% Thrust
2 Parry
2 ALL magic skills
Utility: 60.0

Right Wrist (Speedy Supreme Bracer #488):
Imbue: 32.0
7 Constitution
19 Quickness
6% Cold
7% Cold
6% Energy
1% Matter
Utility: 57.3

Sat 13 Feb 2021 12:42 PM by Blitze
Looks like a good example for new Friars.

Following these steps...

1. Choose whether you want to use a crafted 5.5 spd LT staff or 5.6spd ablative Sidi staff or 5.0spd Sidi heal.
2. Collect some 60ish utility RoGs & Neck quest
3. SC armor ignoring +enhance & +rejuv (you can ignore +power if you don’t quite have good enough RoGs)
4. Alchemy your armor With all healprocs if ur using ablative staff or mix of heal/ablative if using LT or heal staff.

+ extras
5. For Smallman/8manGet a 3.0ish spd 99% crafted staff and SC the same stats as ur chosen slow staff.
6. For solo Get str/con, 14% haste and dmg shield pots
7. Get Legion healcharge or Alchemy a DoT charge on gloves or both.

I always say that Friar templates are not hard and weaponless should only be considered for the very rich.
Fri 19 Feb 2021 7:09 PM by torr071
I'm an old school friar, been playing the class since daoc launched.
I've seen the changes from classic to 4 different drastic evolutions in daoc.
imho the original friar build was the most fair.
that being said, phoenix version of friar basically forces them to be clerics.
solo or dps friar is not something devs want and have went out of their way to prevent from happening, this is why you dont see friars playing friars.
50 staff is a parry reactive, 44 is a 3rd tier chain from side. that's it.
no excomm, no true holy staff.
shouldnt call them friars honestly and in rvr i assume they are not feared in the least, just wail on them like any other heal class, cause its all they do, they cant dps if they cant hit you.
cant do 50 in staff because you cant get the max dex/qui to use 50 staff, basically the current friar in phoenix isnt a friar.
just a cleric with a staff. and clerics do it better.
hope this answers why you wont see friars.
Sat 20 Feb 2021 11:58 AM by gromet12
torr071 wrote:
Fri 19 Feb 2021 7:09 PM
solo or dps friar is not something devs want and have went out of their way to prevent from happening, this is why you dont see friars playing friars.
shouldnt call them friars honestly and in rvr i assume they are not feared in the least, just wail on them like any other heal class, cause its all they do, they cant dps if they cant hit you.
cant do 50 in staff because you cant get the max dex/qui to use 50 staff, basically the current friar in phoenix isnt a friar.

You must not be an original friar player than...My first friar had 1.0 spec points and no spec self buffs.

Here they didn’t want the staff healing friar, and maybe it’s changed but any friar that wanted 50s gave up the last dex/quick for that. Iran 50/35 specs successfully, but this was at the launch of TOA and I could get 25% buffing gear. Rebuffing was a pain.
Tue 23 Mar 2021 12:06 PM by Hattrick
torr071 wrote:

There is no reason to go to 50 in any weapon line unless you really want the level 50 style. You only need 39 in a weapon to reach 52 composite at rr3. Any gains in damage past that are minimal, and not worth the investment.

As for your lament that friars are pushed into a healer role, well no shit. Welcome to every MMO ever. Turns out people that don't play healers in MMOs want the people that play classes that can heal to heal. Who'd of thunk it? DAoC Phoenix is no exception. The other realm's secondary healers face the same plight. Mid doesn't want full cave shamans and Hib damn sure doesn't want melee wardens and battle (lol) bards. I don't like it, as I have a 50 shaman and a 46 friar after this event and I enjoy utilizing their abilities other than healing, but that's the way it is and it's not likely going to change.
Tue 23 Mar 2021 2:29 PM by Kwall0311
Hattrick wrote:
Tue 23 Mar 2021 12:06 PM
There is no reason to go to 50 in any weapon line unless you really want the level 50 style. You only need 39 in a weapon to reach 52 composite at rr3.

This is not true. Pretty much any class that has one weapon line, or uses baseline styles, going as high as possible will give more style bonus. Composite 52 is to cap a baseline weapon damage when using advanced styles. (ex. having composite 52 axe when using LA/CS styles)
Fri 9 Apr 2021 2:50 PM by Komaf
torr071 wrote:

While I recall the initial friar was horrible...not to mention the lacking points per level, I will admit here I was annoyed to see that if I wanted to be remotely 'wanted' in a group, I needed 33 rejuv for the group heal. But to do that meant I could not get 34 staff for my one peel (back style hinder that's recently been nerfed)...now you could say my enhance is to high, but tell me the logic of a friar without red heat resists? Especially when the alb players get bored and move back to Hib again and we see the chanter/mentalist/eldritch dd teams.

I suppose I could lower enhance, but again...yeah.

I am trying to come up with a reason to play friar. I suppose I could just go to a BG group for life, but they will measure me by my rejuv. If they wanted dps they will look for a merc or reaver or caster.

What then, other than spell resists, is the friar for? And if it is spell resists....46 enhance is kind of the minimum.
Fri 9 Apr 2021 5:40 PM by Magesty
Komaf wrote:
Fri 9 Apr 2021 2:50 PM
I am trying to come up with a reason to play friar. I suppose I could just go to a BG group for life, but they will measure me by my rejuv. If they wanted dps they will look for a merc or reaver or caster.

What then, other than spell resists, is the friar for? And if it is spell resists....46 enhance is kind of the minimum.

The Friar is a non-specialist hybrid. As is the case with most of these classes if you want to play them in a full group you have to accept that you're going to be less proficient than the classes that can specialize in certain roles.

There is actually a very interesting conversation about this exact issue in a recent episode of the "Countdown to Classic" podcast with Kevin Jordan (OG WoW dev) talking about the Druid class in WoW. It is the nature of the beast in all MMORPGs.

The devs have done a nice job of fixing up the Friar class, and at least it has a role in groups now. In the meantime it is a pretty solid solo class once you get some RRs and decent in duo/trio play if you can find skilled players who realize that you don't need sorc/cleric/minstrel to have success in that format. The staff line does desperately need some work, though.
Fri 9 Apr 2021 10:06 PM by Cami
Noticed one missing Option:
44 Reju 35 Enha 34 Staff

This one is basically in-between support-melee (34/45/34) and cleric-replacement (43/46/18).
I have no idea if anyone really needs full heal with some punching power, but it is possible.
And I promise, the server will not crash without the red Dex/Qui!
Sat 10 Apr 2021 4:11 AM by Freedomcall
As of now, I would go 44Rej/45Enh/18staff.
Red HoT is very useful and Hib heat train is kinda rare.
This topic is locked and you can't reply.

Return to Albion or the latest topics