Maelstorms need a fix

Started 5 May 2021
by Taln
in Suggestions
So... First of all twf got adjusted to not stack ages ago, then static did now what are you waiting to make it that way for maelstorm aswell? What Tower/keep takes are is just a retarded RA dump by whoever is attacking, all it takes is literally some maelstorms on different floors and 30 people from the outside could smash 150 people inside defending just by sosing up and putting down a shit ton of maelstorms. That's retarded and in no way should happen. Either make it not stack like you did with twfs and statics or remove it completely.
Wed 5 May 2021 8:20 AM by Ceen
As far as I know they share the same mechanics as TWF so already working as you desire.
Wed 5 May 2021 8:31 AM by Taln
Ceen wrote:
Wed 5 May 2021 8:20 AM
As far as I know they share the same mechanics as TWF so already working as you desire.

No maelstorms stack as far as I know
Wed 5 May 2021 8:23 PM by Arkeon
Ceen wrote:
Wed 5 May 2021 8:20 AM

You're wrong, they add up
Mon 7 Jun 2021 1:15 AM by Tifex
The biggest argument I have for allowing NM to stack is that there is counterplay. If 30 people try and bomb 150 in a tower then the 150 people just need to push and not afk in a tower. Unlike TWF and ST, NM has to ramp up to do damage, giving plenty of time to vacate the area. If people are not willing to leave the area then they deserve to take the damage, but nobody is forcing them to stay in the range.
Mon 7 Jun 2021 1:36 AM by easytoremember
The thing about TWF was it also hindered your movement trying to get out of the ring. One TWF encloses a room, one maelstrom is just a spot in the room. Maelstrom lacks any slowing component and ticks slowly. TWF had consistant damage throughout while Maelstrom dps doesn't kick in until later ticks. Tempest is an unavoidable stun (meaning if you're in the area of the effect for a tick you're stunned) so having two of them stacked with staggered ticks means players in the radius of both are permanently stunned until a tick after one or the other expires.

TWF: 2 appear on top of you you take full brunt immediately
ST: 2 appear on top of you you take the full brunt immediately (after the obligatory seconds of warning)
Maelstrom: 2 appear on top of you're receiving he lowest end first

Even in the case where a maelstrom has entered it's final ticks and a new one is placed on top of it, the new instance is again at its lowest point.
Mon 7 Jun 2021 2:15 AM by ExcretusMaximus
God forbid someone need to use their brain or tactics in a zerg. Just remove everything that requires thought.

I'm willing to bet you still complain about GTAE even though there are now counters to it.
Mon 7 Jun 2021 9:11 AM by Centenario
I agree that RA dump is horrible on phoenix, i rarely play bg, but when I do, its just stupid:
- nobody sees when there is a RA, people drop them way too easily
- people camp in tower and jump from tower
- people hide next to tower wall to not be targeted <= put an invisible wall around towers so that people cannot just stand and not be targetable and heal/regen, they should do that from afar.
- NS & cure NS issue

I think you cannot just change the way RA works without changing the whole towertake ecosystem.

Once you have taken a tower you should have a big advantage over the enemy.
Make doors start at highest rank, for the first 10 minutes after a tower take, so people are not trapped in a tower that is easily reopened. They shoud have tower advantage for longer.

Make jumping from the tower give higher damage, it is not normal to have people jumping away from roof to the outside without dumping aoe instant heal.

NS should last only 1 minute but be incurable during siege warfare. Once somebody is succesfully NSed, he should be out for 1 minute.

Make AoE RAs only usable on groundfloor.

Make tower stairs be a wall that prevent line of sight and pbaoe damage.

Finally have to find a solution to make people turtling inside tower lord floor and roof a problem. Maybe after 10minutes, these 2 floors will prevent regenerating mana/health/endo.
Once you enter a tower, you get a timer on yourself, after this timer reaches 10 minutes you cannot regenerate any health/endo/mana even via RA or via necro or Enchant buff
You must jump down outside the tower, to the ground for 5seconds, to remove the timer. This will force the turtling force to make a run outside at least once every 10 minutes.
Mon 7 Jun 2021 9:52 AM by Tifex
Centenario wrote:
Mon 7 Jun 2021 9:11 AM
I agree that RA dump is horrible on phoenix, i rarely play bg, but when I do, its just stupid:
- nobody sees when there is a RA, people drop them way too easily
- people camp in tower and jump from tower
- people hide next to tower wall to not be targeted <= put an invisible wall around towers so that people cannot just stand and not be targetable and heal/regen, they should do that from afar.
- NS & cure NS issue

Looking at these issues I notice a few things:
-If people cannot see there is a RA then they have no excuse for being hit by them, they are blatantly obvious. People drop RAs easily but we need to consider they are often allocating 30 RA points for this, so it needs to have a payoff.
-I assume you are talking about people who sit in a tower and drop RA's before they die or run away, please correct me if I am wrong. This is simply a playstyle designed to leach off of enemy bgs while being solo/smallman. Once again, if people don't have the patience to simply wait the 30 seconds to avoid this damage then IMO they should be taking damage like that and possible dying. I do have a bias in favor of this playstyle as I participate in it, yet I would not want any changes to a playstyle someone else partakes in that I do not.
-This is something I agree with but would rather a simpler solution, tower hitboxes need to either be fixed for hitting people below you so you don't have to stand out in the open, or the murderholes need to be a lot more generous on the balcony level. I have no idea the technical side of things regarding towers and their customization however so I trust the devs to make the decision regarding all of these changes.
-NS and cure NS is no more an issue than disease spam. The existence of NS enables playstyles like rejuv spec for the faster cure, and making these changes will reduce the desire to be these different specs. Disease is something worse in open field, as if someone simply spams disease all fight, they are applying diseases faster than can be cured.

Overall I think that NM should not be changed, simply because I do not want the devs changing things because people are too stubborn/lazy to learn to play around it.
This topic is locked and you can't reply.

Return to Suggestions or the latest topics