[hunter] make pet str/con buff instant

Started 10 Mar 2021
by Tashkent
in Suggestions
Please consider making this buff instant so it can be used infight when spawning the dog. If that would be to OP then reduce the stat values or add an instant pet con buff. The dog is a crucial part in reducing defenses, but dies so quickly. The DMG part is just icing on the cake and I don't care much about it. Apart from that the pet has no added utility like on live with styles, disease and frenzy.
Wed 10 Mar 2021 7:05 PM by lurker
It's this way on purpose... You can get the benefits of the buff by having your pet up in advance.
Wed 19 May 2021 12:39 AM by Jingo NZ
lurker wrote:
Wed 10 Mar 2021 7:05 PM
It's this way on purpose... You can get the benefits of the buff by having your pet up in advance.

This doesn't work in practice. Make the buff automatic when pet is summoned.
Wed 19 May 2021 2:38 AM by daytonchambers
Jingo NZ wrote:
Wed 19 May 2021 12:39 AM
lurker wrote:

In short.... No.

This has been asked for over and over and over. The response is always the same, and the response is exactly what Lurker said. You can get the benefits of the buff by having your pet up in advance.

If the hunter needs ANYTHING pet related I would say that the charm spells should be able to charm up to a lv 44 pet, or any blue con in the frontier. That would give you a reason to use the spells (and that nifty str/con buff) without being OP
Wed 19 May 2021 2:48 AM by Hattrick
daytonchambers wrote:
Wed 19 May 2021 2:38 AM
Jingo NZ wrote:
Wed 19 May 2021 12:39 AM
lurker wrote:

In short.... No.

This has been asked for over and over and over. The response is always the same, and the response is exactly what Lurker said. You can get the benefits of the buff by having your pet up in advance.

If the hunter needs ANYTHING pet related I would say that the charm spells should be able to charm up to a lv 44 pet, or any blue con in the frontier. That would give you a reason to use the spells (and that nifty str/con buff) without being OP

Yeah, because the insta pet hitting for 105 per hit with the str/con buff as opposed to the normal 100 per hit without is OP
Wed 19 May 2021 2:55 AM by daytonchambers
Hattrick wrote:
Wed 19 May 2021 2:48 AM
Yeah, because the insta pet hitting for 105 per hit with the str/con buff as opposed to the normal 100 per hit without is OP

it's not just about the slight damage increase, it's also about pet durability as the dog can be burned through in seconds by any sin with a decent RR. If the buff is as meager as you say then why have so many people begged for the instant version if it doesn't affect a fight?

Personally I use the buff on pet charms that I toss at an enemy when the fight starts, and when that pet dies (or I release it) I pop insta dog as a follower. It works well, especially if you can release right before an enemy swing so that you can then summon the dog and get two animals on your target
Wed 19 May 2021 8:56 AM by inoeth
on live the buff got instant in an early patch, like 1.60ish imo .... so it was no prob then
i dont get why it would be a prob here...
essentially most of the BC line is absolutely useless, you only use the selfbuffs and insta pet.

running around with the pet out as a hunter is pretty much a "here i am" flag which is gimp tbh.
Wed 19 May 2021 9:26 AM by Ceen
inoeth wrote:
Wed 19 May 2021 8:56 AM
essentially most of the BC line is absolutely useless, you only use the selfbuffs and insta pet.

Which is all this line is made for ^^
Wed 19 May 2021 12:21 PM by Hattrick
daytonchambers wrote:
Wed 19 May 2021 2:55 AM
Hattrick wrote:
Wed 19 May 2021 2:48 AM

it's not just about the slight damage increase, it's also about pet durability as the dog can be burned through in seconds by any sin with a decent RR.

Is this a serious comment? I have never, ever had an assassin ignore me to attack my pet. In fact, it's kind of the cardinal rule of fighting a pet class that you ignore the pet and kill the owner. Hunters and their pets are no exception to that rule. BDs are about the only thing I would ever make an exception to that rule for.

If the buff is as meager as you say then why have so many people begged for the instant version if it doesn't affect a fight?

Begged? I seriously doubt anyone has begged for it. Words mean things and there is a difference between asking and begging. Now if you want to know why many have ASKED for it, well my guess would be that they are frustrated that a line they likely have invested at least 40 points into has about half the abilities that are useless crap.

• Both charm spells are useless. I have been playing hunters since the halcyon days of casters not all having personal bladeturns and I haven't used the pet charms as anything more than a parlor trick since they gave us the insta dog.
  • The run speed is of very limited use. If you pop it at max range, you may be able to get away from someone before they hit you with a ranged attack and dispel it. It is useful for chasing people down SOMETIMES.
  • The str/con buff, as is being discussed here, is mostly useless. Assuming you aren't being actively attacked, making casting it impossible, you generally can't afford to stop attacking long enough to cast it so using it almost requires keeping an active pet out and it's foolish to leave your dog out between fights. It announces your presence if you are near enough to it for it to be able to assist you in a fight and if you try to hide it someplace further away, it will cost you precious seconds while it makes it's way to your location.

Personally I use the buff on pet charms that I toss at an enemy when the fight starts, and when that pet dies (or I release it) I pop insta dog as a follower. It works well, especially if you can release right before an enemy swing so that you can then summon the dog and get two animals on your target

Well what can I say man, you must be the greatest rr5 hunter of all time, playing 4D chess while the rest of us are playing checkers.
Fri 21 May 2021 6:28 AM by Noashakra
lmao, I always kill the pet first, if the hunter has IP up, it's so much damage for something you can kill in 3 swings.
Fri 21 May 2021 6:31 AM by Astaa
inoeth wrote:
on live the buff got instant in an early patch, like 1.60ish imo .... so it was no prob then

running around with the pet out as a hunter is pretty much a "here i am" flag which is gimp tbh.

There is also the tactic of having the pet out on stay to attract people, then plinking them from distance.
Fri 21 May 2021 8:41 AM by Tashkent
Astaa wrote:
Fri 21 May 2021 6:31 AM
There is also the tactic of having the pet out on stay to attract people
Which means on phoenix more than one (usually enemy stealth groups). Also people are more alert than usual. Not a good tactic.
Fri 21 May 2021 10:27 AM by Tommylad
Haven't played WoW for a while but, the great thing about by Night Elf Hunter was that my pet, King Bangalash stealthed when I did, think it was called Prowl. I mean, why be a stealther and have a pet that can't stealth with you? Just common sense that it should really.....but hey...... :-)
Fri 21 May 2021 11:06 AM by inoeth
Astaa wrote:
inoeth wrote:

There is also the tactic of having the pet out on stay to attract people, then plinking them from distance.

i have an idea! why not run unstealthed to attract ppl?
seriously?
Fri 21 May 2021 11:14 AM by WildWilbur
Tashkent wrote:
Fri 21 May 2021 8:41 AM
Astaa wrote:
There is also the tactic of having the pet out on stay to attract people
Which means on phoenix more than one (usually enemy stealth groups). Also people are more alert than usual. Not a good tactic.

But you can place yourself in your Wolfie and make it difficult for baddies to tab-target you! Ha, that's a pro tactic!

Thank me later!
Mon 24 May 2021 3:25 PM by genova
Yeah..
Give back disease on hunt pet..
Like chanter pets now!
Mon 24 May 2021 5:14 PM by Yokahu
genova wrote:
Mon 24 May 2021 3:25 PM
Yeah..
Give back disease on hunt pet..
Like chanter pets now!
Wasn’t giving disease to the hunter pet what made hunters stupidly OP in live a couple of years back? Maybe was a combinations of different elements like the spell/archery system with the pet disease.
Tue 25 May 2021 12:39 AM by Jingo NZ
Disease is asking a lot.

Making the str/con pet buff not a useless spell is asking a little. Please give a little.
Fri 28 May 2021 6:59 PM by Siouxsie
Jingo NZ wrote:
Tue 25 May 2021 12:39 AM
Disease is asking a lot.

Making the str/con pet buff not a useless spell is asking a little. Please give a little.

Disease and snare pet is not asking a lot.
Add lvl 40 - Hunter's Elder Protector and lvl 50 - Hunter's Elder Avatar spells to the game with the proper pet abilities.

With the abundance of overtuned assassins, crazy OP abilities.. hunters need something like this.
Fri 28 May 2021 7:11 PM by gotwqqd
Hunter is fine except the archery nerf
Sat 29 May 2021 12:32 AM by Jingo NZ
But the pet buff exists in their spell line up but is useless 99% of the time. Make it instant or take it away in favour of some other pet related spell. Honestly making it instant or auto applied to summoned pet is more of a QOL fix than anything.
Sat 29 May 2021 1:03 AM by gotwqqd
Jingo NZ wrote:
Sat 29 May 2021 12:32 AM
But the pet buff exists in their spell line up but is useless 99% of the time. Make it instant or take it away in favour of some other pet related spell. Honestly making it instant or auto applied to summoned pet is more of a QOL fix than anything.
You have a choice
Let it follow around buffed or instant and be stealthed.
Sat 29 May 2021 7:35 AM by Jingo NZ
And Armsmen have a choice to spec crossbow...
Sat 29 May 2021 4:47 PM by gotwqqd
Jingo NZ wrote:
Sat 29 May 2021 7:35 AM
And Armsmen have a choice to spec crossbow...
I’d like to see crossbow mechanics changed
The speed is how long it takes to PREP the bow…you cannot move
If the bow is prepped it can be shot on the move….maybe instant or slight time penalty
Sun 6 Jun 2021 1:14 AM by Jingo NZ
Bump. Hunter pet buff is a 99% redundant spell given hunter playstyle. This should be auto applied when you summon pet. Please make the spell practical useful or remove it in favour of different pet related buff (charm any mob type would be nice).
This topic is locked and you can't reply.

Return to Suggestions or the latest topics