Event RR Cap Change

Started 17 May 2021
by gruenesschaf
in Planned Changes
The current event rr cap mechanic is not quite working out as expected, tomorrow there will be a reboot introducing the following change:

Instead of raising the cap by 1 full realm rank / 10 ups once x people reached the current cap, the cap will instead increase by 1 up (e. g. 2l0 -> 2l1, 2l1 -> 2l2, 2l2 -> 2l3) once 100 characters earned enough rp to be 1 full rank / 10 ups above the current cap.

Example:
cap is currently 3l0
100 characters reached enough rps to be 3l9, the cap is still 3l0
100 characters reached enough rps to be 4l0, the cap is now increased to 3l1
100 characters reached enough rps to be 4l1, the cap is now increased to 3l2

To avoid people reaching above rr3l0 already and hence potentially adjusting their spec / getting a forced ra respec tomorrow we will prevent the cap to open up 4l0 until after the reboot. As RR3L0 is already achievable that will be the minimum unlocked RR after the reboot, if enough people reach 4l0+ until then 3l1+ will be unlocked accordingly.

New /event rr output:

Mon 17 May 2021 8:07 PM by EuinaR
So, Will it start Fromm rr1 again tomorro?
Mon 17 May 2021 8:10 PM by gruenesschaf
EuinaR wrote:
Mon 17 May 2021 8:07 PM
So, Will it start Fromm rr1 again tomorro?

No.
Mon 17 May 2021 11:51 PM by Nephamael
Excellent changes!

- Now i have one more thing to ask:

There is a lot of anger in the community about the lack of a free /respec all for the event.
Could you manage, that the skills in this weeks frontier are instanced, like the RR in the arena? So that everyone can get a free /respec all without keeping it after the week is over and the normal frontier returns?

If this best option is not possible i would like to ask you to give everyone at least 1 free /respec all or give one free /respec all to the following classes: all stealthers, all offtanks, all alb tanks. (those classes are else unfairly disadvantaged during the event week, while everyone else doesn't have to respec for the event week)

As there is no other PvP area than the frontier during the event week i think any of my suggestions will hugely add to the happiness with this super awesome event!
Tue 18 May 2021 3:42 AM by Tulpa
So those that long in tomorrow will just get eaten alive, and the high rr sweaty neckbeards will get more and more RP's. CAP is not hard enough to reach, too many people are already too high RR.

This is exactly the mess I said would happen people don't play for a day will log in so far behind the curve... those of use who only play a hour a so a day when we can and have focused heavily on one toon to try and be viable in what ever way we play...

I have not enjoyed a minute of game play since this started. I am simply grinding for rp's because my regular few hours of fun that I work hard to make time to enjoy is currently a painful suffer fest.

Tue 18 May 2021 4:46 AM by shalynn1954
I haven't played during the event nor will I. What happens to the RPs gained this week when the event is over? I sure hope this won't be considered a permanent change.
Tue 18 May 2021 6:00 AM by Uthred
Tulpa wrote:
Tue 18 May 2021 3:42 AM
So those that long in tomorrow will just get eaten alive, and the high rr sweaty neckbeards will get more and more RP's. CAP is not hard enough to reach, too many people are already too high RR.
The highest RR at this point is 3L0. Not sure how that is too high rr. The change will make the progress even slower.
Tue 18 May 2021 6:40 AM by Uthred
shalynn1954 wrote:
Tue 18 May 2021 4:46 AM
I haven't played during the event nor will I. What happens to the RPs gained this week when the event is over? I sure hope this won't be considered a permanent change.
Like announced, the rps will be added to your current realm rank. To understand how this works, maybe this will help:
During the event you will have two RRs.
One that is only active in NF and only counts the rps you made during the event in NF.
The second is your all-time (current RR) plus the rps you made during the event which is active in any zone but NF.
Tue 18 May 2021 7:11 AM by Ceen
Tulpa wrote:

Yeah it's impossible to beat a rr3 as rr2 it's so unfair no chance!
Tue 18 May 2021 7:38 AM by byron
Tulpa wrote:

The first evening was fun, a lot of players around. Playing more or less 3 hours and half was enough to reach 3L0 so I don't see any big differences between players. Let's see the next days but it seems to me that this event is helping to have also more active players logged on... so good job !
Tue 18 May 2021 7:58 AM by Centenario
Lots of thirsty-opti groups around or just bg.
You see the 3L hib caster groups already at 3pm they were 3L. Bard+druid+warden+Ment (heal) + 3 more casters + 1 peeler.

We played Pal+Merc+Merc+Arms+Minst+Cleric+Friar (7 ppl, no control) It was hard. Today I will not go alb anymore, I will just join Hib too.
Tue 18 May 2021 8:02 AM by Ceen
Centenario wrote:
Tue 18 May 2021 7:58 AM
Lots of thirsty-opti groups around or just bg.
You see the 3L hib caster groups already at 3pm they were 3L. Bard+druid+warden+Ment (heal) + 3 more casters + 1 peeler.

We played Pal+Merc+Merc+Arms+Minst+Cleric+Friar (7 ppl, no control) It was hard. Today I will not go alb anymore, I will just join Hib too.
Imagine switching to hib and faceing sorc sorc sorc cab minstrl 2 heal 1 peel vs no det. Have fun in hib
Tue 18 May 2021 8:26 AM by Centenario
At least that's just 2 heals, easier to interrupt than 4-5 heals.
Tue 18 May 2021 8:50 AM by tdrew92
Just a thought, can we get free skill respec during event?
Stealthers are handicapped because they always spec for composite 50 stealth and envenom, so now to partake in this event we have to respec at RR1, RR2, RR3 etc etc...
Seems a bit unfair on classes that use that mechanic.
Tue 18 May 2021 1:47 PM by gotwqqd
tdrew92 wrote:
Tue 18 May 2021 8:50 AM
Just a thought, can we get free skill respec during event?
Stealthers are handicapped because they always spec for composite 50 stealth and envenom, so now to partake in this event we have to respec at RR1, RR2, RR3 etc etc...
Seems a bit unfair on classes that use that mechanic.
Seems unfair that a class gets benefits in two skill lines while not actually having to spec in them for those poisons/stealth benefits
Tue 18 May 2021 9:03 PM by Nephamael
As RR3L0 is already achievable that will be the minimum unlocked RR after the reboot

Wouldn't it be a good idea to set everyone (who didn't reach it yet) to 2L0 when the cap sits at 3L0, when the cap hits 4L0 everyone gets set to 3L0, when the cap hits 5L0 everyone gets set to 4L0, and so on. (of course only if they already have enough pre event RPs on their character) - just to make it less punishing to join late/play another character.
Tue 18 May 2021 9:31 PM by easytoremember
Nephamael wrote:
Tue 18 May 2021 9:03 PM
As RR3L0 is already achievable that will be the minimum unlocked RR after the reboot

Wouldn't it be a good idea to set everyone (who didn't reach it yet) to 2L0 when the cap sits at 3L0, when the cap hits 4L0 everyone gets set to 3L0, when the cap hits 5L0 everyone gets set to 4L0, and so on. (of course only if they already have enough pre event RPs on their character) - just to make it less punishing to join late/play another character.
The entire point of the event is you start from 0
and encounter enemies that too are at 0 or had started from zero
Wed 19 May 2021 3:51 PM by Nephamael

I thought the entire point of the event was to reduce RR inequality and have kind of a frontier arena event with everyone having round about equal tools to fight in whatever content.

It ended up being a race for who can spend the most time online on one toon.
Wed 19 May 2021 4:53 PM by SlowMo
Free skill respecs would be awesome.

And by the way, this is a great event. Had so much fun yesterday. Really enjoyed not constantly bumping into RR10 enemys (solo point of view)
This clearly shows how deep of an impact purge alone has on fights.
Wed 19 May 2021 10:51 PM by ExcretusMaximus
Nephamael wrote:
Wed 19 May 2021 3:51 PM

Gee, you mean it ended up being what Phoenix has been since day one? What a shocker!
Wed 19 May 2021 11:04 PM by easytoremember
Nephamael wrote:
Wed 19 May 2021 3:51 PM

I thought the entire point of the event was to reduce RR inequality and have kind of a frontier arena event with everyone having round about equal tools to fight in whatever content.

You could think of it as a Server Launch Event where the frontier had been roped off until lots of 50's were ready & templated.
iTs NoT fAiR sOmEoNe CaN pUt In MoRe EfFoRt ThAn Me AnD gEt BeTtEr OuTcOmEs!?!?!
Thu 20 May 2021 2:23 AM by Nephamael
You could think of it as a Server Launch Event where the frontier had been roped off until lots of 50's were ready & templated.
iTs NoT fAiR sOmEoNe CaN pUt In MoRe EfFoRt ThAn Me AnD gEt BeTtEr OuTcOmEs!?!?!

Actually you contradict yourself and prove my point.

Effort is not rewarded, instead it is only online time on one toon.

The massive negative impact of this is hitting everyone willing to switch characters to get a group going. - This time spent race is hitting pugs worse than normal frontier RvR, as you can still be a great factor for your team if you put enough "effort" in to play and communicate well on a 5L to 6L toon, where as if you have to switch to a 1L toon when all the set 8men are 3L5+ it is a massive disadvantage for your team. You can put in as much "effort" as you want to play well, if you have det5 vs det9 or det8+purge2 you can not make the same impact. - This has led to a steep decline in willingness of hib 8roam/8v8 pugging during this week, after the initial day.
Thu 20 May 2021 3:10 AM by easytoremember
You don't like Dark Age of Camelot mate
Thu 20 May 2021 5:19 AM by Sepplord
not neccesarily
there is a difference between being RR1/2 VS RR3/4 and RR6/7 vs RR8/9
RR resets even the field only in the absolute very beginning, then the people playing all day pull ahead fast and far and it is worse than at the highend, where being a few RRs advantaged doesn't have as much impact anymore
The event on phoenix has RR-caps though...and with the rework it becomes less of a problem.

Tomorrow and saturday will show how bad it is, when people like me, that only play on the weekends play for the first time and log in with RR1 vs Cap. But well, next week it will be over, nothing to get too upset about
Thu 20 May 2021 8:34 AM by Saroi
Nephamael wrote:
Thu 20 May 2021 2:23 AM
This has led to a steep decline in willingness of hib 8roam/8v8 pugging during this week, after the initial day.

I can't confirm the decline in 8roam. I am playing a solo Paladin on EU evening to midnight and I am getting overrun by more groups than ever. It is more the willingness of people looking for a fair fight is declining and almost everyone just wants to gain rp's during this event.

Tuesday I couldn't even go to the Solo Teleporter in Folley Lake because 3 grps were roaming there and farming the few soloers that tried to port. I even had a Hib grp chase me and the Bard used his 10 min cd Insta mezz on me and then they ran away because a Mid grp showed up. A few times I ported to Bold, no task in Pennine and when I walked 3 steps away from the keep door I already had fgh on my ass.

This is no complain about getting "zerged", I am fine with that. Just saying that there are enough groups roaming around.
Thu 20 May 2021 9:48 AM by Thaloria
Saroi wrote:
Thu 20 May 2021 8:34 AM
It is more the willingness of people looking for a fair fight is declining and almost everyone just wants to gain rp's during this event.

This is the concerning part of the event. Somebody else described it as "the community is behaving more toxic then ever".
Hopefully this will not become the standard when the event is over.
Thu 20 May 2021 10:30 AM by DJ2000
People were asking for RR resets for a long time now, which this timed event provided as a nice "test" to everyone.

I mean, on paper it does sound nice, doesn't it? Considering the back-to-back events together as Package:
Playing field - new lvl50 toons
Double feathers - Gearing the toons up
RR reset event - bringing the toons up to speed

It's not my cup of tea, as I barely played any of the above, but as a proof-of-concept it does sound rather "nice" for newcomers, re-starters, for realm swaps or just for those that want to jump on the new fotm class/setup.
Just a tad bit to long for my taste - 3 weeks basically, i have to play something else- but that is just my opinion. Well, taking a break every now then isn't all that bad sometimes.

The relic situation may be not the best environment to have this event occurring, but there is nothing you can do about it.
It may or may not will influence the evaluation of this event, the devs will know.

The event itself, if it will be repeated in the future, will get more/better adjustments each time it will run, like all the other events the devs gradually polished over the time.
Thu 20 May 2021 2:42 PM by gotwqqd
Maybe they should just lock everyone @ RR8 for the entirety of the event and distribute rp at end

And reduce the length to match level playing field event
Thu 20 May 2021 4:54 PM by Nephamael
Maybe they should just lock everyone @ RR8 for the entirety of the event and distribute rp at end

And reduce the length to match level playing field event

A reset to somewhere in between 5L0 and 7L0 might have been a better event idea with the current RR progression/cap lifting.

Nevertheless i rly like the idea to go down to 1L and it was rly fun on day1.

The problems were

1) caps were lifted too fast and still are lifted too fast to make this a lot of low RR fun

-this could be fixed by
a) after the cap hits a new RR XL0 the rest of the players are automatically set to RR X-1L0 = the advantage the frontrunners have is max 10 RA specpoints.

b) requiring more players to reach XlX, for example 250 or 300, before it gets lifted = everyone has more time to somewhat catch up

2) no adjustments on starting RR during the week
- fixed by 1)a)

After this week i fear the event will not find a majority for returning, even tho i hope it does, if it gets adjusted to match the needs of casual/pug players better.
Fri 21 May 2021 11:39 AM by Talo
when I started on may 2020 there were many high rr groups around. I don't understand why all hurdles and obstacles should be removed for newcomers.
it is my goal to reach higher ranks to minimize this gap. therefor gaining further ranks is kinda managed exponentially and there is a hard cap for normal human beings within daoc itself.
remove 49+ from the grind event, reduce RP or cap it at 3L0 or remove grind event completly. it destroys the leveling community and seldomly visited regions.
remove double feather from epics, it destroys market balance and player pool for the other feather dungeons.
just remove the free rp ticks in rvr completly, the soil/snow/tree branch bullsh:t and lower the effects of active RAs and everything is fine.

let the players work for their gains again and don't blow everything up everyone's ass.
guess we are too old to be from the generation "me want, gimme gimme, don't wont to do anything for it".

About leveling and scaling: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lX2dtfEuuWU
Kinda similar effect. Getting robbed of my hard gained skills cuz there are others with more time that got even more skills.. suxx.
Sat 22 May 2021 11:08 AM by byron
This event is fun but for sure the first two days were more funny than the others. If another event of this type will be scheduled, I would suggest to slow down a little more the progression
Sat 22 May 2021 1:39 PM by gotwqqd
Event is way too long
Sat 22 May 2021 1:45 PM by Ceen
Event is great as it is.
Sat 22 May 2021 4:17 PM by Forlornhope
The event is ok, I've actually done nothing but play a 45 bard in it. Other than just resist chance it is actually able to compete with the realm levels reduced. However, the thing I always liked about your guys' events was that they were pretty much optional. In the case with this one, since the game's main point is rvr, you're basically forcing participation in the event. It's worked out for you this time, but I wouldn't make a habit out events like these.
Tue 25 May 2021 8:46 AM by SlowMo
I just wanted to stop by and let you know, that I realy enjoyed that Event and hope to see it again sometime soonish :-)

Just a few thoughts from my end:
- Make it shorter but more frequent
- grant free skill respecs aswell

Good Job!
This topic is locked and you can't reply.

Return to Planned Changes or the latest topics